Sharing drinks packages

I have yet to go on my first cruise but it seems to me, the problem of drink package theft could be resolved by having drink package holders wear a special bracelet and bartenders could serve package drinks in a certain kind of cup that correlates with the bracelet. That way, anyone not wearing a drink package bracelet but drinking a package drink would be blindingly obvious. I'm sure the extra cost of the specially marked cups would be made up in additional drink package purchases when people realize they couldn't get away with it anymore.

I have yet to go on my first cruise but it seems to me, the problem of drink package theft could be resolved by having drink package holders wear a special bracelet and bartenders could serve package drinks in a certain kind of cup that correlates with the bracelet. That way, anyone not wearing a drink package bracelet but drinking a package drink would be blindingly obvious. I'm sure the extra cost of the specially marked cups would be made up in additional drink package purchases when people realize they couldn't get away with it anymore.

Go on your cruise. You will see what an impractical idea this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shouldn't be a problem on RCL ships, as your picture comes up when your card is swiped to pay for the drinks. Of course the person with the package could go up themselves and purchase drinks for someone else.

But this is a mute discussion now as if one person in a room purchases a drink package you have to work at not having the second person purchase one.

RCL just had to enforce the canceling the drink package card of those caught sharing and it would have stopped. Easier route was to make both parties in a room purchase one.

I agree with you. We didn’t sneak in any outside drinks, alcoholic or otherwise. We didn’t smoke on our balcony. (I’m not a smoker, but my husband smokes cigars.) We didn’t put a towel on a lounge chair at 3 a.m. to save it until we got up later. Ok... that’s hyperbole, but we didn’t save chairs at any time, though I sometimes thought about it when I couldn’t find one available in a prime location! :p We both bought drink packages. We did this for a reason that might not make sense to others. Convenience. I wasn’t sure I would get my money’s worth, but I also didn’t want to think about how much each drink cost. I drank champagne, lattes, and had wine with dinner everyday. I tried multiple mixed drinks as well as a variety of martinis. If I disliked something, I asked for something else without feeling like I was wasting my money. It’s called vacation for a reason. No stress. No worries! I think people just need to follow the rules. I can’t imagine sneaking around for all of that. On the other hand, I don’t pay too much attention to what others do in that case. I know people who have shared a drink package. They were smug in that they believed they were the smart ones for getting all the booze they wanted without buying two drink packages. They won’t go on a cruise if both have to buy the package. I do think it comes down to ethics. However, if you’re a rule breaker and the cruise lines start changing policy, you only have yourself to blame.

Agreed! Why can't people realize that rules are there to make everyone's vacation more pleasant. Chair hogs are just rude, inconsiderate people but "sharing" a drink package is like stealing from a store. Would they do that at home? Why do they think it is "clever"?

It would be fairly simple to circumvent this, as you could just pour the drink into another glass. It would just inconvenience people with nearly zero actual difference imo, good thought on a compromise.

I always bring water and juice onboard with me. I have asked when going through security and they said it wS fine.

Do you see others bring soft drinks? this is my first RC cruise and I always carried on a 12 pack of soda on other cruise lines. My cruise is this Sunday and needing some info from RC cruisers please. thanks

Do you see others bring soft drinks? this is my first RC cruise and I always carried on a 12 pack of soda on other cruise lines. My cruise is this Sunday and needing some info from RC cruisers please. thanks

I’ve seen a 12-pack of soda coming through the security scanner right behind my stuff and nothing was said.

Agreed! Why can't people realize that rules are there to make everyone's vacation more pleasant. Chair hogs are just rude, inconsiderate people but "sharing" a drink package is like stealing from a store. Would they do that at home? Why do they think it is "clever"?

I haven't bought a drink package before, as I don't drink that much. Doesn't that package have a daily limit? 15 drinks or something like that?

So often people comment about the high price of drinks on board. However, this is so subjective. Price of drinks varies from city to city, type of establishment, etc. Quite honestly I don't think drink prices are that high ...... Try buying a drink in an airport, major city, ball game, etc....... Very often they are higher than RC. Glass of wine/cocktail in chain restaurants that I frequent usually start around $8 and easily go up from there; just like on RC. You are not paying local corner bar/social club prices.

Sharing a package is cheating and should be watched carefully by the staff. Don't use the price of a drink as an excuse; I also find RC frozen drinks are larger than I buy at home; perhaps more mix, but still larger, and usually don't find bartender skimps on the liquor.

The problem with your analogy is that you are only in an airport, or ballgame for a couple hours....on a cruise, you're on it for DAYS...and drinks shouldn't be that expensive. I mean, $6-7 for a domestic beer is highway robbery. Even in pricey restaurants, a mixed drink isn't $12, unless you're going "top shelf".

I would be curious to see a breakdown of my drink purchases. Some days I’m pretty sure I exceeded my drink package expense since I started with lattes, drank mixed drinks most of the day and then ended with champagne or martinis or wine with dinner. But on shore days I definitely didn’t... until someone in our party decided to get the martini tower. :p

Drinks in our area are comparable to the ship. Dinner out... the bar bill is often $60 for 4 drinks. I do know our sommelier on the ship poured healthy pours at dinner.

We loved having the all inclusive drink package on our Celebrity cruise and we definitely won’t cruise without it.

So...I'm diamond as is my mom ....we each would get three drinks a nite 5-8 ...i get the drink package because i like to drink what i like . So she might have one a nite ...now if i hand her one drink a day by the pool is it really stealing since we leave five drinks a day on the table???? Just a thought... last cruise i handed her one pina colada in 12 nites ..she bought others .I would never share a package with a drinker .....

Yes it’s still wrong. They make it abundantly clear that the package is per person.

Actually, IMO, the prices have dropped in the lasy 18 mos. Not gone up. Liberty offers $10 drinks of all kind. Plus, the drink pkgs are being discounted, in addition, they're also offering drink cards at reduced prices.

A bit like the WOW sales.... hike the drink prices then offer discounts :p

I'm surprised to hear so many bartenders knowingly gave additional free drinks to those who had one drink package.

On our last nine-night Anthem cruise, DH and I both had the Ultimate package. Every night on our way back to our room, we stopped at the same bar for a nightcap to take to the room. Same bartender, tipped every night. On the last night, I hit the shops by myself to buy a couple of last minute gifts. On the way back, I thought I'd pick up our nightcaps. I asked if I could get two, and the bartender flatly refused.

Of course, I just went to the next bar and got the second drink. But it did change my mind about tipping over the 18%.