Pregnant - Deluxe Beverage Package - RCCL Not Accomodating

lyssa13

For this purpose, it's entirely applicable. As for women, they most definitely could fake it. You can't cruise after 24 weeks and there are plenty of women who show very little prior to 15+ weeks and you'd never know they were or not. I'm not sure why you think a woman couldn't fake being pregnant and forge a note or something. Dr's notes mean nothing unless there is a way to verify them and RCI isn't going to waste time and resources following up on every one.

The point is, the rules are what they are and either you buy or you don't. It's actually pretty simple.

True. The rules are the rules and we live in their world. My suggestion above was under the assumption medical proof was needed. I don’t think abuse by pregnant women would be a major issue and it isn’t comparable to former addicts. Most pregnant women don’t drink at all and those that do do it minimally. Moreover their situation is temporary and thus they may very likely be a good alcohol revenue generating customer in the future which is a key metric for profit. Former alcoholics won’t be in the future.

Rcl, as a courtesy to those moms and dads that may be bringing those future kids on board, could easily require a current sonogram with date and name and a signed consent that they can’t drink alcohol etc. Case closed and then monitor the volume of such exceptions to see if fraud is a concern. Or they could do it as they do now which is easier but would likely keep some potential cruisers from going.

I don’t think this would be an issue at all if rci hadn’t jacked their individual drink prices sky high the last few years. Before the packages existed prices were high but tolerable. Now they are just stupid high. So paying as you go is stressful for some (not me) but I get why $12-15 drinks can make your vacation less fun. Some people just want to have it paid up front for budgeting and stress reasons I guess.

Gosh, I really don’t like how this thread has descended. A simple administrative rule by Royal that all in a cabin must purchase a drinks package seems to have turned into vitriol. To the OP, I agree it’s not fair or reasonable and that you should not be forced to buy a package. Also for your OH to be made to feel unreasonable, by people on this forum. for having a drink/s when you are pregnant is just wrong. You are both on holiday and should enjoy it to the maximum that each of you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One more point: If I am pregnant and not drinking and traveling with my loving, supportive husband, I would expect him to be respectful of my condition and not be drinking a ton of drinks in front of me, day after day.

:)

Do you expect him to feel your labor pains also [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just called RCCL regarding our April 7th 2018 sailing on Harmony of the Seas. I am pregnant and won't be able to take advantage of the beverage package on this sailing but husband wants to purchase. We have now been on the phone with them going in circles - and they are telling my husband we can only do this if we purchase the normal beverage package for me. Even when I'm not pregnant, I don't drink juice, soda, or coffee - so I REALLY don't do this while pregnant.

Extremely surprised this is being forced on us - this doesn't sound like it should be allowed. Any advice? There is NO purpose in me purchasing any beverage package - all I will drink is water.

I called for a friend of mine that is cruising with us in March...she is not pregnant but is trying. She is not drinking alcohol or anything with caffeine. The first person I talked to (RCI rep) said that same thing...husband can get ultimate but wife has to get the replenish one. I asked to speak to a cruise planner representative and she started off saying the same thing, but when I mentioned she could get a note from her doctor she said they would accommodate their request.

Good luck! It certainly depends on who you speak with!

Sorry.. another drink package question..

We are in a boardwalk balcony cabin, so we both get the refreshment package as an inclusion to our room. I want to purchase the Deluxe package, my wife enjoys simply soda.... online, it requires that we both purchase it... Is it a phone call I have to make since she already has the normal beverage package?

We are in a boardwalk balcony cabin, so we both get the refreshment package as an inclusion to our room. I want to purchase the Deluxe package, my wife enjoys simply soda.... online, it requires that we both purchase it... Is it a phone call I have to make since she already has the normal beverage package?

I think you only get a soda package with that cabin. And they may not let just one of you get the alcohol package. I would definitely call Them.

You can try calling in, not sure how that will work. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

While I think the past towards you was over the top, I do think the op came across as dramatic and entitled, and your apparently are also against free speech. Expecting a change to the policy because you are pregnant just so you can save some money (which is what she wants) send entitled. If the only way to drink was to get the drink package, and her husband needed to drink, and she could not, then maybe I could see getting upset by the policy.

There are several options-

1. Neither of them drinks alcohol or stay and neither buys a package, it a drink. In the end, that is there cheapest option.

2. No package, her husband either drinks moderately, or at least less than the cost of his package and a soda for her (it refreshment if they enforce that). This would be the next cheapest option, but may mean a little more watching if he might be a lush.

3. Get a rep to make an exception. This might work, might not, nobody here can help that. Not many (any?) Have posted that this worked.

4. Decide that her husband just absolutely can't control himself and moderate the drinking, so she says for the package for him and a lesser one for her. If he will drink more than the cost of both package, then they are still having money.

There are other options, but get a little more difficult to manage. In the end, being dramatic because she does not want to follow the policy and wants a price break asking with social treatment because she is pregnant is entitled imo.

I get what you’re saying. My point all along is cut her some slack, she’s pregnant. Pregnant women have a lot of highs and lows emotionally. So even if someone did think she overreacted to a response there’s no need for others to pile on her.

Rule is that you buy 2 packages or you don't. She has the choice not to buy. It's not snark, it's reality. She can also ask on the ship, but she doesn't want to because it's cheaper online. Sometimes you can't win em all.

That's why I always travel solo. Well, that and the fact that I'm single :(

Edited by onyourtoes
too many emojis.

I get what you’re saying. My point all along is cut her some slack, she’s pregnant. Pregnant women have a lot of highs and lows emotionally. So even if someone did think she overreacted to a response there’s no need for others to pile on her.

Again, that is asking for special treatment. Everybody thinks they deserve special treatment for something. Pregnancy does deserve special treatment - from her husband and maybe other family members, but imo is not warranted in an online forum, or from Royal Caribbean.

I understand some can be to harsh, but that is normal online, and I find many people come online and seem to think anybody that doesn't agree with them is being mean. Many people are very emotional when they post, and then don't understand why they get emotional responses.

I don't feel this board is anywhere near as bad as many (most) forums online. Most posters here give honest answers in my opinion.

RCI could easily solve the problem of drink sharing by having drink package holders wear bracelets and put package drinks in cups that indicate they are package drinks. Anyone not wearing a drink package bracelet and corresponding cup would be blindly obvious. Any cost of the bracelets/cups would be offset by the savings on drink sharing.

Or they could set a daily limit like other lines.

The sharing argument is just a cheap marketing trick..... but people are stupid enough to believe it! :rolleyes:

People need to stop saying they are being forced. That is not true at all.

You have a choice of getting the package or not. Its up to the person.

Pretty simple, either pay for it or don't. It doesn't matter who ispregnant or alcholic. These are the rules and if

you don't like them. Too bad. Sorry

Wow, this thread. The OP would like her husband to be able to enjoy the benefits of the package without her being charged for something she can't use. That's all. She's not asking for you to give up your seat or open a door for her, or anything else people used to do out of consideration for pregnant women without bringing up "entitlement". Buying by the drink and buying the package are not the same thing. If they were, cruise lines wouldn't sell drinks packages. Paying several hundred dollars for something you can't use is a problem. She's hoping there is a solution to that problem. That's it.

it's common courtesy not special treatment. Would you want your wife talked to like that?

I treat my wife like the queen she is, that is my responsibility as a husband, but the op is not my wife. Everybody thinks they need special treatment in today's world. I am not saying people should be nasty, but thinking somebody should get special treatment online from total strangers because she got pregnant is entitlement all the way. People should be responsible for their own actions, and should not expect others to cater to them.

For the record, I never said anything bad, just think that people shouldn't expect special treatment because they might be pregnant, hormonal, diabetic, alcoholic, or whatever it happens to be. There are plenty of people to cater to you when you are pregnant (or at least there should be), but random unknown people on the internet are not it.

I have no problems if somebody gets an exception, as it doesn't effect me, but saying they are not accommodating just because you want to save money and not follow the rules is entitlement in my opinion. I don't drink much and do not want the package, but if they forced me to (they are not) I would make that decision based on the policies and go from there. If they made me buy a deluxe package if my wife does, we would either buy 2, or none, depending on which we prefer.

GOOD GRIEF! Someone please put an end to this pathetic thread. Off topic isn't even close to the cluster-f*ck that this thread has become. Nothing but people talking at each other instead of to each other. Please, move along - nothing to see hear - and certainly nothing helpful!

According to a post I found on a blog site, there's a screenshot of an email between a guest and web_reservations at rccl dot com with the following exceptions (as at Oct 2017):

- Pregnancy

- Recovering alcoholic

- Medical reasons

- Religious reasons

- Does not consume alcohol due to personal preference

It also states that no documentation is needed and no alternative drink package is required to be purchased.

It’s February now and not October. All things subject to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also if they wait till on board then the price is much higher . And still will be told all or nothing.

You have experience with this? I haven’t but have been told from others that they were not required to buy additional packages onboard?

This also could have changed recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

Wow! I'm kind of shocked at the rude comments of some people in this thread. Asking for an exception based on circumstances is her right. Just as we all have the right to ask for things. We may or may not get them, but that doesn't mean we're "entitled" for asking. Nobody would need "special" treatment if most people would just practice the common courtesy that they would want themselves or their loved ones treated with.