Bringing flowers on board?

calteacher

we took a tour in Dominica and were given flowers at a local dance show but the departure day in San Juan a day later--had to be thrown out even though they were still alive. In Hawaii we went through a Dept. of Agriculture exam before boarding a plane to L.A.

This is why here in FL. we have so many invasive Brazilian pepper plants that have taken over. Everyone thought they had beautiful berries.

You can bring them on cruise ships but not off--just like food.

I bought a bouquet of Lavender at Pike Street Market in Seattle for our 14 day Alaska cruise. I hung them upside down in the closet to dry ( as cruisers suggested) and took them off the ship in Seattle in my carryon bag. I was expecting them to be confiscated, but they weren't questioned. I still have the dried bouquet..a reminder of a great cruise!

Karen

Many people bring flowers from the Market onto ships when sailing from Seattle. I have broght them aboard in a few islands and they were permitted.

We did the same in Seattle, having heard others mention doing it on CC. (The flowers were so beautiful in Pike Market.) we got several reactions from other pax- ranging from big smiles to a few who thought they wouldn’t be allowed aboard. Our steward supplied a vase and we were set for the fortnight.

Just as a point of reference... as I know this wasn't San Diego or Hawaii... I purchased flowers in the market in Funchal in October and was allowed to bring them on. :)

So have I :). Aren't the flowers fabulous there?

And also brought them on in Spain and other European ports :)

So I wonder why passengers on the World Cruise are not allowed to bring flowers onto the ship?

There is some kind of bug infestation that they can't risk getting on the ship. If it weren't for that, they would be able to.

It's only at the Hawaiian Islands, I believe that they are not able to.

So I wonder why passengers on the World Cruise are not allowed to bring flowers onto the ship?

Another example of HAL inconsistency :(

I remember bringing lovely flowers aboard from Honfleur France. It was hard to resist them. :)

It has less to do with inconsistency and everything to do with environmental protection. See Kazu's post above.

I understand enironmental protection, NoT a nedw conc ept, however, why are flowers okay to be brought aboard in B osto n? Seat tle?, Honfleur, Babados etc b ut not other places? HAL is ngt enforcing or respecting environmental protection universally if they permit flowers be brought aboard in some p;orts/countriess but not others? . That is Inconsistent, Yes ?

It has less to do with inconsistency and everything to do with environmental protection. See Kazu's post above.
I understand enironmental protection, NoT a new conc edpt, however, why are flosers okay B osogtn? Seatle?, Honfleur, Babados etc b ut not other places? HAL is not enforrcing or respecting environmental protection universally if they permit flowers be brought aboarrd in some p;orts/countries. That is Inconsistentt, Yes ?

I understand enironmental protection, NoT a nedw conc edpt, however, why are flowsers okay B osogtn? Seatle?, Honfleur, Babados etc b ut not other places? HAL is nogt enforrcing or respecting environmental protection universally if they permit flowers be brought aboarrd in some p;orts/coungtriess. That is Inconsistent, Yes ?

I understand enironmental protection, NoT a nedw conc edpt, however, why are flowsers okay B osogtn? Seatle?, Honfleur, Babados etc b ut not other places? HAL is nogt enforrcing or respecting environmental protection universally if they permit flowers be brought aboarrd in some p;orts/coungtriess. That is Inconsistent, Yes ?

Not really. The Agricultural agencies all have their own warnings and protections based on ever-changing factors. Sometimes things are a problem and sometimes they're not.

Not really. The Agricultural agencies all have their own warnings and protections based on ever-changing factors. Sometimes things are a problem and sometimes they're not.

Exactly! In 2016 it was not a problem to bring flowers on board in Hawaii (we were on the Hawaii, Tahiti Marquesas cruise) or any other port. there is evidently some major bug pestilence this year which is causing caution in some of those islands and I can certainly understand HAL taking precautions.

Normally in these scenarios, they do post a warning in either the When and Where or by announcement but they might have been caught off guard on the World Cruise. Hard to say.

I haven't been on a cruise yet where I couldn't bring flowers on board (including ports in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Europe, etc.) so I would say that HAL is quite consistent ;) But if there is a special warning, bug, pestilence, etc. which could affect the ship or passengers then certainly caution has to be taken and they cannot be permitted.

I understand enironmental protection, NoT a nedw conc ept, however, why are flowers okay to be brought aboard in B osto n? Seat tle?, Honfleur, Babados etc b ut not other places? HAL is ngt enforcing or respecting environmental protection universally if they permit flowers be brought aboard in some p;orts/countriess but not others? . That is Inconsistent, Yes ?

Different ports /Countries different environmental laws.

So to answer your question it is not inconsistent

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apparently there was a problem with ants being brought on to the ship in the flowers from Tahiti. They are hoping to be able to bring flowers on from other ports.

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip
Added content

Exactly! In 2016 it was not a problem to bring flowers on board in Hawaii (we were on the Hawaii, Tahiti Marquesas cruise) or any other port. there is evidently some major bug pestilence this year which is causing caution in some of those islands and I can certainly understand HAL taking precautions.

Normally in these scenarios, they do post a warning in either the When and Where or by announcement but they might have been caught off guard on the World Cruise. Hard to say.

I haven't been on a cruise yet where I couldn't bring flowers on board (including ports in Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific, Europe, etc.) so I would say that HAL is quite consistent ;) But if there is a special warning, bug, pestilence, etc. which could affect the ship or passengers then certainly caution has to be taken and they cannot be permitted.

Kudos to you for taking the time to respond, and of course that all makes sense and is fairly obvious. However I fear your effort was wasted.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Apparently there was a problem with ants being brought on to the ship in the flowers from Tahiti. They are hoping to be able to bring flowers on from other ports.

Cheers, Denise

Great information, thanks. ;)

Hawaii has their own regulations regarding importing/exporting plant matter and produce, and this year there appears to be a "stink bug" problem. New Zealand has turned away 4 cargo ships (full of cars) because of stink bugs, so I'm sure the islands of the Pacific are concerned as well.