Bermuda next summer: which of these cruise lines to go with?

tfran8

Hello,

Myself and a friend are planning on cruising from NYC to Bermuda next summer. I have recently started planning and it seems we have three options: 1) RCL Anthem 5 day 2) NCL Breakaway 7 day or 3) Celebrity summit 7 day.

I have cruised NCL before and thought it was decent but I have never been on Celebrity at all. Royal is my first choice except I was curious if most people thought that five days was too short (it's the only itinerary where you only have one night and two days in Bermuda). And I hate having to rush! We are looking for a ship that is larger, has a fair amount to do and has sort of a more lively crowd. Any suggestions on the three options? Thanks!!

Celebrity would be my choice for the three day port stay, which also has the earliest arrival and latest departure in Bermuda of the ships that visit. Although it is not the largest ship calling on Bermuda, she is very nice and not exactly small at 91,000 tons.

Have done RCI Grandeur a couple of times when it did seven nights from Baltimore and did Summit last year from Bayonne. Also have done the Explorer five night when it was in Bayonne which was a nice getaway cruise but not long enough in Bermuda to really enjoy it IMO.

Thanks for the advice! Leave it all behind - does Celebrity have all ages or is it geared towards an older crowd?

While it is somewhat less younger family oriented than RCI, it is very much for all ages - and all ages were on with our July cruise this past summer. It is also not geared towards older ages such as you might expect with Holland America or some others.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You won't be on the ship much, if you have multiple days in Bermuda. Have you compared prices of cruising to just flying there...and staying?

Staying on Bermuda is very expensive - especially including meals and air fare. Cruising is a great way of getting there - and being fairly comfortable hike there at reasonable cost. You might consider HAL from Boston - yes, a smaller ship with fewer bells and whistles, but good food, service and comfort - most important, you will be tied up in Hamilton - near the middle of the island- rather than the remote tourist trap that is Dockyard.

As Navybankerteacher mentioned, HAL's "Veendam" would also be my fist choice, but that was not one of OP's options mentioned. And I'm disappointed they are doing so few sailings to Bermuda in 2017.

Edited by marco

Personally, I would choose Celebrity. However, the Summit doesn't really meet the criteria you're looking for. Anthem and Breakaway do. So since we should be giving advice based on what you said you're looking for, I recommend Breakaway. If Anthem and Breakaway were both 7 nighters, I'd say Anthem.

Also give a thought as to how you are arriving in 'New York'. If you are flying in to JFK or LGA, I would choose to sail NCL from Manhattan. But if you find it better to fly into Newark, Summit from Cape Liberty/Bayonne NJ would be my choice. EM

i have flown to Bermuda and stayed at resorts about 6 times.

I have sailed there twice and prefer sailing there. MY Fiends and I are considering sailing thereagain next sumer.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks for all the replies, I have narrowed it down to the two week long cruises - it seems a lot of people really like the Summit - I might give Celebrity a try as I have never cruised with them before. It is my friends first cruise so trying to find a good ship for them to go on - and hopefully enjoy the experience as much as I do!

Edited by tfran8

i have flown to Bermuda and stayed at resorts about 6 times.

I have sailed there twice and prefer sailing there. MY Fiends and I are considering sailing thereagain next sumer.

Why do I think you might be considering Veendam from Boston?

We are looking at a late June or early July sailing on her ourselves.

Why do I think you might be considering Veendam from Boston?

We are looking at a late June or early July sailing on her ourselves.

LOL. :D For all the ob vious reasons.

We are considering Veendam bu t also Nc Ll Dawn, again.

Is Rottterdam doing Viking next year or Vendam? That woulde make a difference.

Thanks for all the replies, I have narrowed it down to the two week long cruises - it seems a lot of people really like the Summit - I might give Celebrity a try as I have never cruised with them before. It is my friends first cruise so trying to find a good ship for them to go on - and hopefully enjoy the experience as much as I do!

Great choice.

If you had kids in tow, I would say the Breakway would be better choice.

We did Bermuda earlier this year on Breakaway. The Celebrity ship is not in port as long as Breakaway was. What I can tell you is that when your ship docks a lot of people get off with their golf clubs and go check into a golf resort on Bermuda! I found that really interesting. The port area is small but interesting, get a taxi to take you on a tour of the Island - much better. It's very clean with none of the begging and chasing of tourists you get in Caribbean ports. If you play golf, so much the better - make your reservations to play on one of their world class courses and go check into a golf resort. The reason we liked Breakaway is they have Ocean Blue which has outdoor seating on the deck, so we ate out there one night overlooking moored sailboats as the sun set. It was great! (Even though we didn't have one of Bermuda's famed pink sunsets.)

In terms of what ship to choose, I'd choose the one that is in port the longest. All 3 are good ships. On NCL, if you can be in the Haven, it's great.

NCL Dawn Did not haVE hAVEN LAST YEAR WHEN I sailed in pENTHOUSE. tHE CABIN was wonderful and service way exceeded My expec tations. I WOULD sail that SHIP AgAIN. i THINK SHE just HAD A BIG DRY DO K AND LoTS OF WORK WAS DONE.

Edited by sail7seas