Trying to decide what to do in Southampton

onehappystudio

We are taking a TA Crossing from New York to Hamburg, with a day in Southampton.

I've never been to Southampton, but I have been to the UK several times. My husband has never been to the UK or Europe.

I'm trying to plan our trip - I love Salisbury and it's Cathedral; I think Stonehenge is worth at visit at least once. On the Voyage Personalizer I see trips to Stonehenge, but nothing which combines Stonehenge with Salisbury.

I'm not keen to rent a car for the car, but the cost for a full day personal driver seems a little expensive.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions of how to accomplish this (or should I just skip going to Salisbury altogther - personally, I'd rather go back to Salisbury than Stonehenge, but since my husband has never been I think he'd like this).

Winchester is a good alternative. There is a beautiful Cathedral and the Great Hall with round table (well not King Arthur's.

You can go to Salsibury by train direct from Southampton. It takes around 30 minutes and costs £10.80 for an off peak return

We are taking a TA Crossing from New York to Hamburg, with a day in Southampton.

I've never been to Southampton, but I have been to the UK several times. My husband has never been to the UK or Europe.

I'm trying to plan our trip - I love Salisbury and it's Cathedral; I think Stonehenge is worth at visit at least once. On the Voyage Personalizer I see trips to Stonehenge, but nothing which combines Stonehenge with Salisbury.

I'm not keen to rent a car for the car, but the cost for a full day personal driver seems a little expensive.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions of how to accomplish this (or should I just skip going to Salisbury altogther - personally, I'd rather go back to Salisbury than Stonehenge, but since my husband has never been I think he'd like this).

Have you thought of Winchester? Like Salisbury it is reachable by train (no need to hire a car).

Winchester is approx 15 minutes by train from Southampton, and trains are every 15 minutes approx.

Or the train to Portsmouth.

Or the ferry to Hythe

Or the ferry to the Isle of Wight

Stonehenge is very overrated.

Salisbury or, even better, Winchester, would be my suggestion. So easy to reach both from Southampton.

Just seen Lanky Lad's suggestion :)

Edited by pepperrn

I agree that Stonehenge is overrated, but I think unless you've actually seen it, you might not realize how overrated it is (reminds of visiting Plymouth Rock in the US - that was the most overrated thing I've ever seen!). I guess I'll see how keen my husband is to visit Stonehenge.

I don't know too much about Winchester, but I do love Cathedrals (my favorite being Durham Cathedral) - it sounds like Winchester Cathedral might be worth a visit.

I've not done it, but I'd be amazed if there weren't numerous Stonehenge tours available in Salisbury after you get off the train from Southampton.

We did the stones as part of a transfer from London a couple of years ago, and I agree. Nothing much, but if you're nearby, you should see them. Once. And the new museum is well-done and quite interesting.

Update - here are google results. Looks like lots of options https://www.google.com/search?q=stonehenge+tours+from+salisbury+station

I agree that Stonehenge is overrated, but I think unless you've actually seen it, you might not realize how overrated it is (reminds of visiting Plymouth Rock in the US - that was the most overrated thing I've ever seen!). I guess I'll see how keen my husband is to visit Stonehenge.

I don't know too much about Winchester, but I do love Cathedrals (my favorite being Durham Cathedral) - it sounds like Winchester Cathedral might be worth a visit.

Here's my quick view of Winchester, hope you like :)

You might find some more ideas or clarification in this thread that I started a few months ago.

Have fun planning.

Diane

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2585012

Thanks, Diane - I just read your thread - that definitely gives me some ideas.

It sounds like getting to the train station from the cruise terminal would require taking a taxi - will a taxi driver be upset having waited in line for a fare to just get a local fare?

How right I think you are on Stonehenge being overrated!

I actually live very close to this monument, and often drive pass. To the OP, you do not say when you will be in S'ton. The weekends (Fri-Sun) and Bank Holidays can be absolutely dreadful on the roads in this area. The traffic jams are notable. Also, if it is a wet or miserable day, Stonehenge is not the place to be as it is so exposed to the elements. If you went by private car, ensure that it is booked in advance to wait for you whilst you walk round the fields, as you would not easily find a passing taxi here.

For what it is worth, Winchester is a beautiful old city, as is Salisbury (but this city is in the headlines for all the wrong reasons at present). The ferry to Cowes IOW would be enjoyable on a lovely day, but this could be decided on the spur of the moment. The ferry is very close to cruise terminal and foot passengers do not have to book in advance.

It might be worth taking the Cunard trip to Stonehenge if that is what you really want, and then there might be time in the afternoon for a wonder around S'ton; the Titanic trail/museum comes to mind.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy it.

To the OP, you do not say when you will be in S'ton. The weekends (Fri-Sun) and Bank Holidays can be absolutely dreadful on the roads in this area.

I will be in Southampton on Friday, August 10. I believe all three Queens will be in Southampton on the same day. It sounds like it's going to be a nightmare as far as traffic goes!

I will be in Southampton on Friday, August 10. I believe all three Queens will be in Southampton on the same day. It sounds like it's going to be a nightmare as far as traffic goes!

Yes, it will be extremely busy on the roads in this area as it is peak holiday season. I am sure others on this site will testify to how busy the A303 gets by Stonehenge; it is a single carriageway trunk road.

The upside to your Southampton visit is that it will be a 3 Queens sailaway that evening. How splendid! That calls for a glass of bubbles or 2 on the deck that evening! Also it will be the end of Cowes week (sailing regatta)that day so as you pass the Isle of Wight it should be a spectacle of fabulous yachts!

We have a similar question as we also will have a free day in Southampton in May. Have been to the UK many times and have traveled extensively throughout - but we have never been to Poole. It appears that it would be possible for us to get there by train - and it looks like it might be interesting/attractive to wander around and have lunch? Any thoughts please about Poole or lesser known places around Southampton that could make a nice day trip?

We have a similar question as we also will have a free day in Southampton in May. Have been to the UK many times and have traveled extensively throughout - but we have never been to Poole. It appears that it would be possible for us to get there by train - and it looks like it might be interesting/attractive to wander around and have lunch? Any thoughts please about Poole or lesser known places around Southampton that could make a nice day trip?

Poole is OK! It is a nice seaside town with some very expensive real estate, but rather sprawling.

Have you thought about a visit to Osborne House on the Isle of Wight? This was the summer retreat of Queen Victoria, and I believe, where she died. It is beautiful! You could take an early Isle of Wight ferry, just a few hundred yards from the cruise terminals, to East Cowes. Osborne House would be less than 5 minutes in a taxi. You could walk back down the hill to the Red Funnel ferry. Easy to look at both on the internet.

A train trip to Portsmouth could also interest you. Plenty of history and museums there.

LadyL1 - thanks for the sugggestions but we have lived in Portsmouth area for 6 months :) - and have been to Osborne House (which as you said , is an excellent day visit) ..how about Weymouth?? Another place we have not been to. Bit further than Poole but not much by train.

LadyL1 - thanks for the sugggestions but we have lived in Portsmouth area for 6 months :) - and have been to Osborne House (which as you said , is an excellent day visit) ..how about Weymouth?? Another place we have not been to. Bit further than Poole but not much by train.
Hi,

If I was to go to Poole for the day I would go on one of the harbour trips to Brownsea Island and have a walk around the island.

Weymouth is nice but is basically "just" a seaside town.

My wife and I took the TA from Hamburg to NY with a stop in Southampton a few years ago. The only Cunard tours offered in Southampton were German-language!

That's interesting! I'm traveling in the opposite direction, and my Voyage Personalizer is indicating English language tours.