Fathom

Looks like they haven't even started to sail yet. Their website has dates beginning in April ... Judging by the info on their website, it's not like other cruises. Seems to be more of an experiential thing.

fathom, note without capitals, is a Carnival Corp brand that will have one ship, I believe, that will do either volunteer cruises to the Dominican Republic (water treatment facilities, housing, etc), or cultural exchange cruises to Cuba. The fares are significantly higher than a regular cruise of the same length, and "shore excursions" are limited to the work required, and some "meet the people" in the DR, and fixed cultural tours in Cuba. Particularly in Cuba, free time ashore is not allowed.

I did hear the Carnival Corp. owns them. I think this is a cruise where passengers get off the ship and do volunteer work in ports. But, I don't know what type/kind of work.

It is fathom cruise but have no idea what the name of a ship will be-fathom?.

fathom, note without capitals, is a Carnival Corp brand that will have one ship, I believe, that will do either volunteer cruises to the Dominican Republic (water treatment facilities, housing, etc), or cultural exchange cruises to Cuba. The fares are significantly higher than a regular cruise of the same length, and "shore excursions" are limited to the work required, and some "meet the people" in the DR, and fixed cultural tours in Cuba. Particularly in Cuba, free time ashore is not allowed.

Seeing President Obama and his family are arriving in Cuba today and there has been further loosening of travel restrictions including direct flights from U.S. capable of being booked by individuals (not exclusively groups), this Fathom concept may have to be changed. People aren't apt to spend so much to pay such high fares, got to Cuba and not be allowed to tour on their own seeing the changes in relations.

As I write this, Air Force one is making its approach to Havana. It is being shown live on cable news.

Seeing President Obama and his family are arriving in Cuba today and there has been further loosening of travel restrictions including direct flights from U.S. capable of being booked by individuals (not exclusively groups), this Fathom concept may have to be changed. People aren't apt to spend so much to pay such high fares, got to Cuba and not be allowed to tour on their own seeing the changes in relations.

As I write this, Air Force one is making its approach to Havana. It is being shown live on cable news.

Regardless of what the President does or says, until Congress changes the economic embargo on Cuba, that limits the ability of US citizens to spend money in Cuba, except for the 12 specific reasons, nothing will change for travel to Cuba. Yes, you can fly to Cuba from the US, but you are only allowed to visit for specific reasons.

Exactly. Executive Orders only survive as long as that President remains in office. If a future President wishes to reverse the order, all it takes is his or her pen. Congress has not voted or funded anything and has not voted to remove embargo.

As to the 12 specific reasons, most people who wish to go to Cuba badly enough can probably fit into one category or another, in one way or another.

Regardless of what the President does or says, until Congress changes the economic embargo on Cuba, that limits the ability of US citizens to spend money in Cuba, except for the 12 specific reasons, nothing will change for travel to Cuba. Yes, you can fly to Cuba from the US, but you are only allowed to visit for specific reasons.

Thanks for the info.

I plan to go to Cuba on a cruise even if it is the people-to-people stuff. I think people will go; I would like to go before it changes.

Adonia, formerly Minerva 2, and Royal Princess, will remain as part of P&O's fleet, and will remain fully serviced and staffed by the line from the UK.

Although she will still be part of the P&O fleet, there is no mention of her in the new brochure- which goes to March 2018, and arrived today.

P&O will now only have 2 adult only ships, which are very popular.

Adonia, formerly Minerva 2, and Royal Princess,

she started life as the R- Eight for Renaissance cruises in 2001 just before their demise

I would think her new schedules will be on the Fathom website

Edited by LHT28