Paging chengpk75 - interested in your thoughts on FL port damage w/Matthew

AdoraBelle

Hi there. If you happen to see this, just curious if you can offer us any engineering insight on how well the eastern FL ports are designed for a major hurricane impact. I guess Port Everglades and PC are the two big danger zones right now, but maybe also PoM?

Thanks!

Well, the chief isn't here at the moment, but I am. An experienced aviator, who lives in south east Florida, and certainly has some extensive meteorological knowledge.

I expect NO major damage to MIA or FLL ports. PC might be another story, but I think she'll be fine too.

Forget all this level 3 and 4 stuff, if he doesn't take a shift to the west, we're looking at a level 1 on shore, at least at MIA and FLL. The northern coast will likely get hit harder, north of West Palm Beach.

Also, why would you expect ANYONE to predict outcomes when it comes to hurricanes? Like the "chief", I broke my crystal ball years ago!:D

Also, why would you expect ANYONE to predict outcomes when it comes to hurricanes? Like the "chief", I broke my crystal ball years ago!:D

Usually agree with what you post, but I think you misread this one. The OP was asking how well they were designed to withstand hurricanes, not what the outcome would be. Fair question. Perhaps some facilities are better prepared to withstand winds than others? Lower lying areas (parking) may be more vulnerable to tidal surge, etcetera. Maybe older structures predated the more stringent hurricane codes?

Those of you who don't live in southeastern Florida need to understand that hurricanes are a fact of life here even when we've been lucky to have gone a decade without experiencing one and are taken very seriously. Right now it looks like the Port of Miami and Port Everglades will 'only' experience a tropical storm with minimal tidal surge. Concerns should be with the population of Palm Beach County and those to the north.

Loubetti - stay safe!

Edited by capriccio

1) Lived on the eastern Florida Coast for 30 years and study meteorology as a hobby, don't require lecture on the unpredictability of hurricanes.

2) Was explicitly asking for chengpk75's engineering input out of intellectual curiosity.

3) I still have loved ones in West Palm Beach, and I'm worried about them. As an engineer myself, that worry doesn't preclude the aforementioned intellectual curiosity, and in any event I also don't need a lecture on where my 'concerns' should lie.

(I know that 'intellectual curiosity' borders on a felony here on CC, although I have no idea why that is.)

Additional snippy responses will be added to ignore list.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Not a civil or structural engineer, though my dad was. The building codes in these areas include hurricane mediation factors like roof strapping and the like, so there may be some roofs damaged and windows blown out, I don't think there will be major damage, since they aren't looking at direct hits until above PC and below Jax, as far as I can tell. Storm surge will impact the coastal buildings and homes, but the cruise terminals won't see as much of that.

I've ridden out a hurricane in Port Everglades, that went nearly over us. We lost a lot of mooring lines, damaged the hull a little, and the pier more, but it wasn't all that bad. Now, the yachts in the harbor tell a different story!! Nothing like Camille, where ships were pushed onto shore.

I'm from MA and RI and am now at Hyatt Pier 66 anticipating boarding the Coral Princess on Sunday.

Just returned to our room overlooking A1A, and in the distance can see PE and a bit of the ocean. I wandered outside about an hour ago - humid and misty, winds are minimal. Worse winds will be later tonight.

The major hit will be north of here; tropical winds for MIA and FLL. Once Matthew lets up, and planes are allowed to fly into the area, give it a day or two to adjust, and it's normal operations.

NBC 6 Miami just had an interview with one of its reporters who was on Miami beach - he wasn't getting blown away. Surfers are still on Pompano - nuts IMO. Guess I've seen higher surf at Watch Hill RI on a good day.

Large yachts are using multiple lines and huge bumpers tied to the pilings along Pier 66.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

It's starting to look like south Florida at least really dodged a bullet, unless there's a very sudden westward shift soon. I suppose Port Canaveral could still get raked.

Yes, I think that Miami and FLL will see minimal damage, with only 1-3 foot storm surge, but power outages may hamper operations.

PC area is predicted to get 4-6 feet of surge, but the tide will be low at the time of closest approach, so that could moderate things. PC, being located on the barrier island, and directly in the inlet passage, could see some extensive flooding due to the surge as well as extended power outages. Storm should be there as I type.

Aside from storm surges (not much) Matthew was pretty much a big fizzle in Palm beach county. Ports are fine. Up north is a different story. :eek:

Remember, folks I live down here!

Chief, always a pleasure. :)