Can RCI do this?

Jussnskip

Hi,

We originally booked a gs on explorer...we saw rfs was available so reserved it at a certain price, my dad then decided to join us so we rang ta and got him on booking. We sail feb 12 and my dad has really declined mentally and physically and we think its best he doesnt sail. I rang ta this morning and they sid that the cabin may be repriced, can they do thi as we originally reserved it just for the two of us at a certain price? Ta said they may not get to it today as they are busy

Hi,

We originally booked a gs on explorer...we saw rfs was available so reserved it at a certain price, my dad then decided to join us so we rang ta and got him on booking. We sail feb 12 and my dad has really declined mentally and physically and we think its best he doesnt sail. I rang ta this morning and they sid that the cabin may be repriced, can they do thi as we originally reserved it just for the two of us at a certain price? Ta said they may not get to it today as they are busy

I am sorry to hear about the decline in health. It is most likely your ta’s rule. With every cruise booking, they get commission, which comes with the work they do to assist in setting up the cruise. The more people in the cabin(s), the higher the commission amount. So, if they were planning on getting $100 commission, and now they’re going to be getting $75, they may try and retain their expected profits. I am not saying it’s the most ethical thing, but it’s possible.

If you find out it’s going to be more for the overall cruise, finish making final payment (if not done already), when it’s time to do the online check in, do the online check in for all the travelers that will be sailing, and then do not do the check in for your father. When you get to the pier on the day of sailing, tell them he was unable to attend the cruise, and they’ll refund the port fees and taxes for his cruise portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps I phrased that wrong. Point being is that their corporation is in Liberia even though they make no ports of call in that entire continent. Why do you think that is?

They make ports of call all over the world, including the African continent until recent years.

They make ports of call all over the world, including the African continent until recent years.

So are you saying it's not unusual the company is based out of Liberia? Come on now, homer-ism aside, we all know corporations flee across borders to evade taxes and other regulations.

So are you saying it's not unusual the company is based out of Liberia? Come on now, homer-ism aside, we all know corporations flee across borders to evade taxes and other regulations.

Sorry, I'm a loss to see how this is applicable to the OP's situation.

It doesn't matter what you previously booked, only what you have booked now. But I'm a bit confused by the idea that it may be repriced - you're inside final payment so you have to pay for your dad (other than posssible refund from your insurer, if you have cancellation insurance)

It doesn't matter what you previously booked, only what you have booked now. But I'm a bit confused by the idea that it may be repriced - you're inside final payment so you have to pay for your dad (other than posssible refund from your insurer, if you have cancellation insurance)

Under NA booking rules, if you want to cancel a 3rd passenger in a cabin, you can do that without penalty after final payment date, up until a date that I forget. ;)

Regardless of where the corporation is incorporated, and yes, RCCL is incorporated in Liberia, the ticket sale is an economic transaction in the country where the purchase occurs, which is why there are different sets of terms and conditions, as well as different prices for the same cabin on the same cruise, depending on the country where the booking is taking place, and that country's consumer laws.

Yes, incorporation overseas gives a company many fiscal and legal benefits, but it does not exempt them completely from laws in countries where they do business.

The reality is that RCI flies the flag of Liberia. Think about that for a moment. Yes, they can in fact do just about anything they want.

Regardless of where the corporation is incorporated, and yes, RCCL is incorporated in Liberia, the ticket sale is an economic transaction in the country where the purchase occurs, which is why there are different sets of terms and conditions, as well as different prices for the same cabin on the same cruise, depending on the country where the booking is taking place, and that country's consumer laws.

Yes, incorporation overseas gives a company many fiscal and legal benefits, but it does not exempt them completely from laws in countries where they do business.

As usual you are absolutely right. It doesn´t matter at all in what country they are incorporated for the question at hand from the OP.

For this the point of sale is what matters and with that the T&C´s for the country the booking was made in.

Hi,

My friend and I have done this and it reverts and reprice to the poriginal price. I never book with a TA because of that. Argue the point.