An idea for a sticky

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:41 PM.
Vale of Glamorgan
4,491 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The recent Transatlantic thread had a couple of posts with links to photographs & collections of menus/programmes etc - thanks peppern & pmb1.

It made me think that perhaps we should have a sticky where we keep this sort of information.

Of course we need to bear in mind the rules on advertising -

"I have just started my own cruise site; can I post it here?
The answer is: it depends.

If your site is a hobby site and you are just chronicling your cruise travels, by all means share your site with our members.

However, if you have created a site with cruise reviews and forums for profit (or any other cruise-related material), please find another venue in which to advertise."
But in general, do you think this would be a good idea ? Helpful to those thinking of trying Cunard ? Would you be happy to have your information in a sticky ?

Let me know what you think,

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
75 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
That's a great idea, Hattie! I'd love to be able to have that kind of info at my fingertips instead of trying to remember where I'd seen it.
Iowa
1,731 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I would welcome a sticky such as you are proposing.

The first item I would suggest for such a sticky is a link to Cunard's "Frequently Asked Questions" page at http://ask.cunard.com. This provides a wealth of information and is much more useful than the limited FAQs page provided on Cunard's web site for North America. Quite a few questions on this forum end up being answered by providing information from "ask.cunard.com" and new members in North American probably have no idea that resource even exists.

Regards,
John.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

Vale of Glamorgan
4,491 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by bluemarble
I would welcome a sticky such as you are proposing.

The first item I would suggest for such a sticky is a link to Cunard's "Frequently Asked Questions" page at http://ask.cunard.com. This provides a wealth of information and is much more useful than the limited FAQs page provided on Cunard's web site for North America. Quite a few questions on this forum end up being answered by providing information from "ask.cunard.com" and new members in North American probably have no idea that resource even exists.

Regards,
John.
Good idea, thanks for the feedback so far.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Iowa
1,731 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Host Hattie,

Do you envision this sticky as a single master page that only you (and other admins) would maintain by adding links to additional resources as they are brought to your attention? I think that would probably work the best if that's possible.

Regards,
John.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017) ... Queen Mary 2, Norway Fjords (2018)

Vale of Glamorgan
4,491 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by bluemarble
Host Hattie,

Do you envision this sticky as a single master page that only you (and other admins) would maintain by adding links to additional resources as they are brought to your attention? I think that would probably work the best if that's possible.

Regards,
John.
Probably, I'm hoping I could close it once we were happy with what was on it & then re-open and update as necessary.
I'm not even sure if that's possible, I'll need to check my Hosting for Dummies !

But really it would be a resource for everyone so I'm happy to go with whatever works best.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UK
2,246 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Great idea. The opportunity to have such information at a click is very appealing. Cunard's own website can sometimes be difficult to navigate so to have info here has to be a bonus.

The simplest ideas are often the best
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises:
2018 Southampton-San Francisco - Cunard. 2017 Eastbound T/A - Cunard. 2016 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Bahamas & Florida - NCL: 2015 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2014 Westbound T/A - Cunard: Norway/Iceland - P&O: 2013 Canary Islands - NCL: 2011 Eastbound T/A - Cunard: 2011 Southern T/A - Celebrity: 2011 Australasia - Princess: 2009 Australia/New Zealand - Royal Caribbean: 2005 Norway - Louis Line: 2004 Alaska - Celebrity: 2000 Eastern Caribbean - Royal Caribbean
New Jersey, USA
1,029 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
It is a good idea, HH. I agree with John (bluemarble, post #3 above) about telling folks about Cunard's FAQs. And I appreciate your generous thank you.

Best regards, Paul
Vale of Glamorgan
4,491 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by pmb1
It is a good idea, HH. I agree with John (bluemarble, post #3 above) about telling folks about Cunard's FAQs. And I appreciate your generous thank you.

Best regards, Paul
Would you be happy to have a link to your albums on there ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

New Jersey, USA
1,029 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by Host Hattie
Would you be happy to have a link to your albums on there ?
Yes, happy and flattered.
Vale of Glamorgan
4,491 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Great, it looks like I should go ahead then. I've got a busy couple of days coming up so I'll try and get it done on Sunday.
In the meantime if anyone has any other suggestions of things to add, let me know.
You can post here or email if you'd prefer.

Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RESIST USA
9,482 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
My experience of this board is that most often, questions are answered promptly, and with a variety of responses. Obviously, some passengers are more experienced than others, and a few have extensive, well done references (most especially photos) in reply to the specific question asked.

So, just my personal opinion, but I feel that those generous posters on this forum (you know who you are, and kudos to you) will continue to respond to specific questions without the need for "a sticky". Moreover, these generous passengers post links to their photo albums and blogs - anyone with an interest has only to click on that link.

While I appreciate the more personal response to individual questions posted on this forum, I bow to the apparent majority who feels otherwise.

So, if we're taking a vote here, I say there is no need for a 'sticky'. But that seems to be the trend, so have at it!

Salacia

Edited to add: The Cunard forum has been largely "sticky-free" compared to other CC forums I have visited. Something I rather appreciated.
At Sea
5,440 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Yes, a sticky to assist people to get answers to often-repeated questions, great idea!

Well done Host Hattie!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over Four Million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2.
At Sea
5,440 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Oahucruiser
Hattie, I love your innovative ideas and friendly, positive attitude. Nice to have you here and posting so often!
Very well said Oahucruiser!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
At Sea
5,440 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Salacia
My experience of this board is that most often, questions are answered promptly, and with a variety of responses. Obviously, some passengers are more experienced than others, and a few have extensive, well done references (most especially photos) in reply to the specific question asked.
So, just my personal opinion, but I feel that those generous posters on this forum (you know who you are, and kudos to you) will continue to respond to specific questions without the need for "a sticky". Moreover, these generous passengers post links to their photo albums and blogs - anyone with an interest has only to click on that link.
While I appreciate the more personal response to individual questions posted on this forum, I bow to the apparent majority who feels otherwise.
So, if we're taking a vote here, I say there is no need for a 'sticky'. But that seems to be the trend, so have at it!
Salacia
Edited to add: The Cunard forum has been largely "sticky-free" compared to other CC forums I have visited. Something I rather appreciated.
Hi Salacia,

I understand your reservations, and thank you for laying them out so well.
I would hope that this innovation (which I support), will not lead to frequent "see the sticky above" posts in answer to new member's questions. Experience will show us that.
Where I think I may be able to slightly assist with an answer, I will still attempt to individually help a questioner, whenever I feel able to in some small way, as generous people have assisted me in the past.

Sincere best wishes
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature