How do Cunard's Private Label wines compare?

DonRobertoSanJuan

In the VP, Cunard offers a Chardonnay and a Cabernet on their Private Label. Both from Pays D'Oc. How do those wines compare to the other wines in Cunard's wine list?

From the South of France, where a bottle can retail between €2.00 and €5.00, but Cunard (Carnival) have great purchasing to reduce the wholesale price.

IMHO the Amarone is the best buy on the Wine List.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
predictive text

In the VP, Cunard offers a Chardonnay and a Cabernet on their Private Label. Both from Pays D'Oc. How do those wines compare to the other wines in Cunard's wine list?

The producer for the Cunard Private Label Wines is Jean d'Alibert in France's Languedoc region (at least it was in December 2017 on our last crossing). A Web search will give you some information about the producer and the general quality of the wine. Most of the independent ratings that I have seen for Jean d'Alibert wines are 3 to 4 on a scale of 5.

They are generally middle of the road for that region, not the best and not the worst. Other wines from that producer are in the range of about seven to nine pounds in the UK when they are available in retail outlets.

The Cunard label wines are drinkable. We know them because our TA usually buys us a simple gift of a bottle of wine and the server lets us know during our first dinner on board. It's always Cunard label and we have the choice of red, white or rose. All are OK, not special, but not bad. Table wine in France.

Cunard sure does not offer value for money on their wine selections and the packages don't offer too many interesting choices either. Table wines for almost $40? I guess the wine offerings by the glass are not much better? BTW, I did not see any Amarones.

Bottle number 177

... BTW, I did not see any Amarones.

There isn't an Amarone included in the wine collection packages which are what is shown in the voyage personaliser where you indicated you were looking in your first post. There is an Amarone on the wine lists found on Cunard's UK FAQ and it is number 177 as Host Hattie has indicated. But since you probably don't have access to the UK FAQ from your location, here are the details from that more complete wine list.

177 Amarone Della Valpolicella, Monte Zovo, Terre di Verona Agricola (E) 2012 $67.50

Since I believe you have indicated you are sailing on the QV in your previous posts, here is a link to the QV wine list from the UK FAQ which should work for you even if you don't have access to the FAQ itself.

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/QE_QV_Wine_list.pdf

Cunard sure does not offer value for money on their wine selections and the packages don't offer too many interesting choices either. Table wines for almost $40? I guess the wine offerings by the glass are not much better?

People routinely observe that Cunard drinks prices are on par with those in a resort hotel of a calibre that Cunard ships represent (or purport to represent). Similarly I think Cunard's wine list is priced comparably to any restaurant at which a diner might he expected to dress up a little.