NCL Ultimate Beverage Package: Gratuities vs Service Charge

kinosh

Sorry if this have been covered previously, but I'm still confused. Sailing 11/3-10 on NCL Gem to the Bahamas and signed up for the "free" Ultimate Beverage Package. I prepaid the 20% gratuity, but the confirmation calls it a Service Charge. My main question is Should I be tipping the bartenders whenever I receive my drink?

I've read elsewhere that only a portion of the 20% goes to the bartenders, and maybe calling it a Service Charge makes a difference. I don't know. I'm a tipper and I don't mind it, especially if I know someone's livelihood depends on it, but I have a problem double tipping. Maybe it's not my problem - just take my drink and run. Or should I start tipping after my 5th or 10th drink or whatever (assuming I can keep track)?

I also understand that the UBP applies to Great Stirrup Cay. Do those bartenders expect a tip or does my 20% cover them?

Sorry if this have been covered previously, but I'm still confused. Sailing 11/3-10 on NCL Gem to the Bahamas and signed up for the "free" Ultimate Beverage Package. I prepaid the 20% gratuity, but the confirmation calls it a Service Charge. My main question is Should I be tipping the bartenders whenever I receive my drink?

I've read elsewhere that only a portion of the 20% goes to the bartenders, and maybe calling it a Service Charge makes a difference. I don't know. I'm a tipper and I don't mind it, especially if I know someone's livelihood depends on it, but I have a problem double tipping. Maybe it's not my problem - just take my drink and run. Or should I start tipping after my 5th or 10th drink or whatever (assuming I can keep track)?

I also understand that the UBP applies to Great Stirrup Cay. Do those bartenders expect a tip or does my 20% cover them?

The bartenders on Great Stirrup Cay are the same NCL bartenders as well.

Not required but a tip here and there can certainly help cut down on the wait time and may get you a better pour. I tend to tip a little here and there at the bars I frequent. In most cases I do notice a little better service from the guys I tip.

You have paid all the gratuity you need to for drinks. If you exceed the $15 drink cost, you will be charged the difference in price and gratuity on the difference.

The bartenders from the ship pack up their bars on the ship (alcohol and mixers) and carry them to GSC with them and run the bars on the island. The galley does the same with the food. You may see your favorite bartender from the ship at one of the beach bars.

All this being said, we always carry about $100 in dollar bills to to provide additional tip to bartenders and waiters.