Straws

Kscout

I read awhile back that Norwegian was going to stop offering straws with drinks. I was going to Amazon some stainless steel ones but want to make sure this was actually the case before I do. Can someone give me an update about this, especially from the Pearl? Thanks

You can still drink out of a plastic straw on any NCL ship. The only difference is you need to bring them on yourself. Grab a batch from the dollar store and you will be all set!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about POA? Does Hawaiian Cruise allow you to bring straws?

Thanks!

Also gone from Carnival. They can say it's "all about the environment," but they can't find a way around the fact it also saves them money.

Yes... it's funny to see in hotel rooms they tell you to save the environment to reuse your towels or that they wont change the bed everyday... but they don't even put a recycle bin in the room.

I read awhile back that Norwegian was going to stop offering straws with drinks. I was going to Amazon some stainless steel ones but want to make sure this was actually the case before I do. Can someone give me an update about this, especially from the Pearl? Thanks

There is talk that they are trying to introduce paper straws to NCL, but haven't found a supplier to handle the volume. So, depending on your cruise date, there may be straws again.

We brought stainless steel ones purchased from Amazon for our Escape cruise. We didn't use them for most drinks, but we did like having them for frozen cocktails, such as the Mango Meltdowns, Dirty Banana, yummmm (but I digress)... Buy the shortest length they have so they don't tip over your plastic cup as it starts to get low. They come with some tiny cleaner brushes, so pack a tiny bit of dish soap, and you are good to go.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Just an example how Las Vegas does it:

Recycling in Las Vegas hotels however, is done without most guests or employees ever even knowing. Because most Las Vegas hotels have more than 1,000 rooms, internal sorting of garbage and separation of recyclable materials is logistically impossible. Instead, all of the recycling takes place at the back-of-the-house, on the hotel receiving dock. Cardboard is baled, and waste is sorted to remove glass, aluminum, and plastic for recycling.

Although a few Las Vegas hotels use their own staff to sort waste and recyclables, the majority pay an outside recycling company to perform this function. Hotels will contract to have from one to four employees sort garbage at their hotel. Sorting will take place from eight to twenty four hours per day, depending on the volume of waste generated.

I purchased some silicone straws for our next cruise. They are easily foldable for carrying around in a plastic bag in your pocket for if/when you need them. I reckon I can also shorten them easily with a pair of scissors if they threaten to tip my drink over. They also came with a brush to clean them.

I brought my own disposable plastic ones. I once forgot to take one from my room and thought I'd be smart and ask for a coffee stirrer thing (which is essentially like a tiny straw lol). Joke was on me when the bartender placed a wooden stick in my drink...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We have our dollar tree straws packed so we will survive our cruise in November in the event they have not started offering the paper straws. I have a feeling they are not getting in a hurry to provide them as they are doing a cost saving analysis and they enjoy reading the discussions about straws on all the various threads here on Cruise Critic. Gives them a good laugh to get them through their day.

I brought a bunch of wrapped straws I got from McDonald's over the summer (take a couple extra here and there) for our RC cruise last month because I read they didn't have plastic straws anymore. Actually, they did and even though it said to 'ask for a straw', all the bartenders were putting them in the frozen cocktails. There is information about them going to paper and I vaguely remember them from when I was a kid. They don't work so well, hence the switch to plastic when it came available.

I brought my own disposable plastic ones. I once forgot to take one from my room and thought I'd be smart and ask for a coffee stirrer thing (which is essentially like a tiny straw lol). Joke was on me when the bartender placed a wooden stick in my drink...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

LOL thanks for the laugh! :')

The no straw thing is spreading everywhere........all over Europe, places in the states. No big deal, we are getting some stainless steel straws from ebay...........cheap and you can use them forever.

Less pollution is always good. Time to get rid of plastic bags as well.....:):):):):):)