British cruisers Visa question

holidayhelen

Hello

I could do with help from recent cruisers to the far east - Thailand, Vietnam - ideally British passport holders.

Do we need any visas to visit these countries - we have Ko Samui, overnight in Bangkok and 3 ports in Vietnam.

I have asked NCL and they have not been any help at all - I have looked at the Gov website but I am still unsure

Anyone been recently who can help

Thank you

H

Gov.uk appears completely unhelpful in this case. It certainly looks like you wouldn’t need to get a visa beforehand if you were entering by air, cruises are not mentioned on the Thai and Vietnamese government websites, so it would be reasonable to assume we would get a visa or visa waiver on arrival. We are also cruising there later next year. However, it would be risky to get an e-visa for Vietnam, their website cautions against it. Also, the rules for Vietnam only cover the period to 30 June 2018, they don’t say what will happen after that. Unfortunately it might be best to contact each consulate, I am not sure I would rely on U.K. NCL office advice, I’ve found them wrong in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Further to this, Vietnam and other visas pops up regularly on the Australian and Kiwi cc forum and the answer seems to be that the cruise company sorts out the visas for interim ports , but no mention of NCL. It might be worth contacting NCL in the US for an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just looked on the uk gov website which says visits for up to 15 days for UK passport holders don’t require a visa. But it does mention multiple visits would need one. I’m guessing if you are just travelling up the coast, that’s not leaving Vietnam.

I’m there in March and been told I don’t need one.... but that might be because the CL is taking care of “day visa’s”

I’m fairly sure you’ll be fine.... but hopefully a recent visitor travelled by NCL can confirm. It’s s bit off they can’t help you. Most odd.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/vietnam/entry-requirements

Visas

Until 30 June 2018 ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa. If you have a different type of British nationality – for example ‘British national (overseas)’ you’ll need to get a visa or an e-visa before entering Vietnam.

For visits of up to 30 days, you can get an e-visa online before you travel. Use of the e-visa is limited to certain entry/exit points which you must select at the time of application. If you don’t have fixed travel plans, consider applying for a regular single entry visa from the nearest Vietnamese Embassy, which allows more flexibility.

For visits of longer than 30 days you must get a visa from the nearest Vietnamese embassy before travelling to Vietnam.

If you’re planning to make multiple visits in a short period to Vietnam, consider applying for a multiple entry visa. If you want to make a second visit within 30 days of leaving Vietnam, you’ll need to get a visa or an e-visa to re-enter the country.

Thank you for all your help - We travel in March and most of the other people on our roll call seem to be Aussies. I looked at the Gov info and I was under the impression that we don't need one. We did a cruise a few years ago and the cruise line sorted visas - but the rules changed a couple of years ago and it looks like up to June 2018 we don't need one. Don't want the cruise line charging us unnecessarily .

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I have just returned from a land trip to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Japan last month. For every country in the world it is the same: you need proof that you are leaving the country again (air ticket, cruise papers). Thailand is visa free for UK citizens, so no problems there.

UK ciitzens are in the extremely lucky position that we are amongst one of the handful of passport holders who do not need a visa for Vietnam on the provision a) that you leave the country in 15 days, b) you are a tourist, c) enter via a number of selected airports, d) single-entry only (this would disqualify you!). I found the Vietnamese embassy in Berlin very helpful, I am sure you can get help from the Vietnamese embassy in London. http://www.vietnamembassy.org.uk/ The way I read the rules, you might have to part with some hard-earned cash. My poor Dutch husband had to fork out 70 pounds for the visa and the registrered mail to/from the embassy.....

If you have a British passport (together with French, German, Italian or Spanish passports) and your stay is less than 15 days then you do not need a visa.

quote]

This is only for a SINGLE ENTRY, the OP is visiting 3 different ports!

If you have a British passport (together with French, German, Italian or Spanish passports) and your stay is less than 15 days then you do not need a visa.

quote]

This is only for a SINGLE ENTRY, the OP is visiting 3 different ports!

Vietnam considers the 3 port visits as a single entry, as the ship does not leave Vietnamses territorial waters, so for British passport holders no visa is required.

If the rules change, the ship will obtain visas for about $6.