IF government shuts down question

rid891

They might be grumpy, because they aren't getting paid and if they had any leave scheduled it would be cancelled, but they would be there working

Their always "grumpy" this would only make them more so and the lines longer and the TSA Pre-Check line would conveniently be closed...Not that it isn't every time I fly regardless :(

Their always "grumpy" this would only make them more so and the lines longer and the TSA Pre-Check line would conveniently be closed...Not that it isn't every time I fly regardless :(

True, I'm also thinking of other federal employees (and myself). My husband works for the Weather Service and is an "essential personnel" so if there's a shutdown and it isn't resolved by February 2nd, his leave and our trip to Singapore gets cancelled, plus he'll be working without pay until they reopen. So at least I'll be more grumpy than normal :cool:

They might be grumpy, because they aren't getting paid and if they had any leave scheduled it would be cancelled, but they would be there working

Maybe not on time but they most certainly will be paid for the time they put in.

Maybe not on time but they most certainly will be paid for the time they put in.

Most likely, but it's not guaranteed. Congress has to approve back pay for essential employees as part of the budget. It's always been approved in the past, but strictly speaking it's not mandatory. During the 2013 shutdown it took over a month for all the approved back pay to be processed, and there were still outstanding court cases over it last year. I think the class action case Donald Martin Jr. et al v. United States settled last February was the last outstanding case, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

There's still debates over whether the Fair Labor Standards Act (which requires government employees to be paid for all work, even during a shutdown) or the Anti-Deficiency Act (which says they don't if Congress doesn't approve the budget) takes precedence, although the Martin case above the judge ruled that the FLSA requirement overruled the ADA restriction

Most likely, but it's not guaranteed. Congress has to approve back pay for essential employees as part of the budget. It's always been approved in the past, but strictly speaking it's not mandatory. During the 2013 shutdown it took over a month for all the approved back pay to be processed, and there were still outstanding court cases over it last year. I think the class action case Donald Martin Jr. et al v. United States settled last February was the last outstanding case, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

There's still debates over whether the Fair Labor Standards Act (which requires government employees to be paid for all work, even during a shutdown) or the Anti-Deficiency Act (which says they don't if Congress doesn't approve the budget) takes precedence, although the Martin case above the judge ruled that the FLSA requirement overruled the ADA restriction

? I'm a Federal Employee, non-essential, but everyone (essential and non-essential) was paid on time. We didn't miss a single paycheck nor have one delayed.

? I'm a Federal Employee, non-essential, but everyone (essential and non-essential) was paid on time. We didn't miss a single paycheck nor have one delayed.

I'll try and see if I can find my husband's ELS, but I remember him and my father-in-law both didn't get paid for the days of the shutdown until 2 pay periods later (shut down would have been PP 20, early October, we got paid mid November which would have been PP 22) I remember it was after the first of the month because we had to transfer from our savings to pay the mortgage, and we had to loan my in-laws money for their mortgage until the pay was approved and allocated.

I'll try and see if I can find my husband's ELS, but I remember him and my father-in-law both didn't get paid for the days of the shutdown until 2 pay periods later (shut down would have been PP 20, early October, we got paid mid November which would have been PP 22) I remember it was after the first of the month because we had to transfer from our savings to pay the mortgage, and we had to loan my in-laws money for their mortgage until the pay was approved and allocated.

Like I said, they will get paid for the time that they put in.

BS. I worked for the govt for 32 years and can’t count the number of times it was going to be “shut down”. Never missed a beat or lost a dime...

I'm a current Federal employee (28 years at Treasury). There have been two shutdowns that I can remember, one short and one longer. We were eventually paid for the lost time but we did miss at least one regular salary deposit.

One of the determining factors as to whether, when and who gets paid (or repaid) is the nature of the shutdown: is it a lack of funding (lapse in appropriations, as now) or is it the borrowing ceiling being exceeded.

Having said that, there hasn't been too much email traffic at work about a shutdown...yet, anyway. I've noticed that the times when we've actually had shutdowns, there was a lot of email traffic about it beforehand (contingency plans, "excepted" employees who have to work, etc.) Nothing so far. We'll know more next week.

I sailed during a government shutdown in Oct 13 and the only impact to us was that we couldn't go to Arcadia National Forest because it was closed. I'm active duty and was not impacted at all...guess I'm not essential...:o

The media likes to hype the possibility, but it's not happening.

We're not hearing that it will either, but there are contingency plans. It's nothing like the last shut down in 2013. It was talked about a lot and everyone knew it was coming. We haven't reached that level at all.

I worked (retired 2014) for the Federal Government for 39 years (DOD/Air Force/Civilian). Went through two shut downs (furlough). One we were off for two days (no loss of pay or benefits) and the other didn't happen. Also one sequester.The sequester (2013) we lost 11 days of pay :mad: but no benefits.

Edited by davekathy

Hmm. I remember I was a Federal Employee for the Veterans Administration about 94 or 95. The Gov't got shut down for about a month.

Yes, I had to work. No, I didn't get paid until about a month later. Yes, I had to take out loans to pay my bills.

Yes, I quit shortly thereafter and got a better paying job with better benefits. Well, had to give up 8 weeks vacation, but never missed another paycheck.

Is this a concern right now? I haven’t heard anything about it. The only new I’ve seen in the last two weeks has been talking about all these winter storms we’ve been blasted with

It is a concern, January 19th is the deadline and people on both sides are threatening a shutdown if they don't get what they want. Not sure what the actual odds are, but I wish I could be as confident as some of the others here. I'm practically biting my nails trying to figure out if we'll have to cancel our cruise, which we leave for in exactly three weeks if we don't have my husband's leave rescinded.

During a government shutdown, employees deemed essential still work. This includes the CBP folks (who handle cruise ship passengers) and TSA (at the airports). The reality is that most Americans would not even notice that there was a government shut-down (which makes wonder why we need all these folks). One issue would be that most National Parks would be closed due to staff shortages.

Hank

When you get off a cruise ship you get processed by customs and immigration personnel - who are government employees. If you fly to or from the port you get cleared by TSA personnel - also government employees.

It is usually assumed that a government shutdown will mean that those government employees might not be on the job - need any more explanation?

But that assumption is completely wrong. Both TSA and CBP agents are viewed as essential and will be on the job...shut down or not. The biggest problem for some travelers would be a big time slow down in getting Passports (renewals or new) processed. The biggest fear (by many) of a major government shutdown is that most folks will not even notice. And perhaps that will start them thinking why in the world we need around 3 Million Federal employees.

Hank