Catalonia Independence information

nolegirl01

Taxis are far better, more convenient, reliable and cheaper. And you don't depend on some driver showing up or not. There are always taxis at the taxi ranks at the airport, over 1200 of them just in the airport! A fare to most places in town, on a weekday and within regular hours (8am-8pm) should be around 35-40€ (per car, not per person!) at the most -traffic permitting.

Just sayin'

Our rideaways.com car was £33 or €36 at today's rates. As Enric says there are oodles of taxis just outside arrivals.

We've found Barcelona an easy, safe and polite city to walk in. 10.5 miles on foot today - if you like seeing a new place at ground level Barcelona really shines. Was in Madrid 3 weeks ago and it was similarly foot friendly. Might have been different in bad weather,mind.

Incidentally, we leave from Barcelona tomorrow on the Silver Wind.

Before leaving I'd just like to thank Enric for keeping us updated these last few weeks and especially for his link to a restaurant guide on another thread. This sort of assistance is the heartbeat of Cruise Critic.

Barcelona is a wonderful city - I hope it gets the future it deserves.

Now aboard our ship after a great 2 days in Barcelona. I know bookings are down about 30% due to the potential for unrest but for anyone coming soon I would stop worrying and start looking forward to this wonderful city.

It took my homeland nearly 300 years to gain independence from the UK. And it wasn't uneventful. Whatever happens with catalonia I pray they do not suffer the same indignities.

Thanks @Tothesunset, I am happy to hear you enjoyed the city. Don't trust everything you read, there's a very powerful Spanish media colluding with the Spanish government to spread false information, that has been going on for years but has accentuated lately. Point is that, in time, facts end up showing their lies, especially in these cases where figures speak volumes.

LATEST

... the demonstration tomorrow Nov 11th at 5pm will be held across Marina Street, a very large and wide avenue crossing Barcelona from North to South: http://www.elnacional.cat/ca/politica/manifestacio-dissabte-barcelona-presos-politics_210792_102.html Several hundreds of thousands of people will be attending with over 1200 buses and thousands of cars coming from all corners of Catalonia. Train lines will be reinforced. Expect difficulties in mobility depending where you're coming from or where in the city you're going to. Those staying in the Old City area shouldn't notice the huge crowds, albeit it won't be a normal Saturday, by a long shot.

Just a quick note:

... three and a half kilometres (a bit over two miles) of people, an estimated three-quarters of a million. This happened earlier today (Nov 11th, 2017), in Barcelona, to protest against the Spanish aggression and to support our jailed ministers and activists, also to demand back our usurped legitimate government and Parliament, and our president exiled in Brussels... and to defend our dignity as a nation! Yes, this is a political remark, I know, but this was happening today, and during this month of November we have an average of 55,000 tourists EACH DAY visiting the city. If you were anywhere on the edge of the neighbourhood of Poblenou you've probably stumbled with this demonstration. Mobility in the area was, well, "difficult", as expected, sorry for that Ah yes, btw, not a single incident, as always. Over and out.

Just a quick note:
... three and a half kilometres (a bit over two miles) of people, an estimated three-quarters of a million. This happened earlier today (Nov 11th, 2017), in Barcelona, to protest against the Spanish aggression and to support our jailed ministers and activists, also to demand back our usurped legitimate government and Parliament, and our president exiled in Brussels... and to defend our dignity as a nation! Yes, this is a political remark, I know, but this was happening today, and during this month of November we have an average of 55,000 tourists EACH DAY visiting the city. If you were anywhere on the edge of the neighbourhood of Poblenou you've probably stumbled with this demonstration. Mobility in the area was, well, "difficult", as expected, sorry for that Ah yes, btw, not a single incident, as always. Over and out.

Political Remarks like this will get your posts taken down from this thread and then we will loose all the good information you have been given us. Please be careful with what you post. Thank you and be safe.

A friend and I will be arriving December 1st. We have been to Barcelona 4 or 5 times (and love it), but this time we are both widows. What would be your recommendation for transportation from the airport to our hotel? Would you suggest prebooking or getting a taxi outside of arrivals?

Definitively taxi, it's convenient, cheapish, comfy and safe... and readily available when you arrive. As per cost, it'll depend on where you go as well as what time of the day, but think roughly 35-40€ (per car, of course, not per passenger!) Or if you prefer to save some money and take public transportation the reasons would be the same, if only, it won't be a door-to-door service. If you want the latter, just let me know where is your hotel located and I'll draft the best itinerary for you.

We recommend the AeroBus to get downtown to major tourist squares. It is very cheap and there is room for luggage. To get to the ship from your hotel with luggage take a taxi. Taxi drivers know about the ships (ships generate vast taxi business) and it is a long walk out to the pier. There is a blue bus (few Euros) you can take from the Columbus statue square area out to the ships also. We were just there (11/1-4) and found the city quiet and safe. If there is a major demonstration locals suggest avoiding the subway and to take surface transportation to avoid being stuck in crowds. It is possible by the use of camera angles to make demonstrations appear larger on TV than they are and this should be taken into account.

Just a quick note:

Have not seen any new posts in a few days so I would think that things are quiet. A good thing i guess. Hope it stays that way and everything gets resolved to the liking of the majority of the people. Again, thanks for keeping all of us in the loop. :):)