Dining help EnricM

lhanson38

I apologize in advance... but help with restaurants I can't really provide other than a general opinion if I happen to know the one you finally choose.

The reasons are very simple: for one this city has far too many eateries (over 15,000 only in the central districts) and the throat-cutting competition makes a lot of them go under and even a lot more pop up day in day out, therefore, unless you've been in "that" restaurant in the past few months, it's always risky to recommend it: new cooks, new management, lower quality, higher price.... even closed down. Sadly, quality is something that's not always constant in many restaurants hence the reason I say one needs to have been recently in order to recommend.

Also, quite important, real estate in Barcelona is really a premium, so restaurants tend to be small. In many, a group of 20 would occupy a large part of the restaurant... which brings another problem for you: many owners won't risk making a reservation for 20 unless there's some sort of downpayment because if you ended up not showing up, they lose money, especially if on a Friday or Saturday, when restaurants are really full to the rim.

And thirdly, there's no account for taste -or to use a rough translation of a Catalan expression: "taste is like a butt, everyone has one and is his own"- thus not knowing you guys any advice would only be based on "my" taste, which might or might not be of your like.

A less risky bet is one of the "traditional" restaurants -those that have been around for ages, some as old as the early 1800s- but these tend to be pricey -in comparison to the rest, that is.

May I suggest a look at our unofficial bible for going out and see if something catches your eye? Also, since you're visiting Barcelona, the capital of Catalonia, and we Catalan are well known abroad for our cuisine I would suggest choosing a restaurant offering Catalan cuisine, which is not only local but also very varied (it can cater most tastes). Check this out: https://www.timeout.com/barcelona/restaurants/the-50-best-restaurants-in-barcelona-catalan-cuisine

Once you zero in a few names I can try to help, if I'm familiar with them.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon Enric

Thank You for taking the time to answer my questions on a restaurants. We decided on this place for the group it seems to fit the bill. Also they have pretty good reviews

Agüelo013

Carrer d' Avinyó, 37 (Barcelona

Have you heard of it?

Thanks

Leigh

Sorry for the delay, but these days I'm occupied elsewhere and I don't visit this forum as often.

This "used" to be for many decades a cheap tavern downtown where university kids used to go for beers and tapas. I myself had been there many times in those years. The food was rather low quality and not very good back them, but again, the purpose wasn't really the food but going out with your 'mates'.

A few years back it was revamped indeed and now is no longer a tavern but a restaurant. Haven't been back myself so I can say about their food, but often, when passing by on Fridays and Saturdays I see groups -albeit no longer university kids- now it seems more sort of 30-something and above and also groups of office friends.

I know it may be a long shot but do you know of El Cangrejo Loco Restaurant in Port Olympic. Liked it a few years ago and wonder if it is still good. Or if you ever thought it was good. Thanks

Yep I also liked the Cangrejo Loco, but it's been a number of years since I've been there so I couldn't say, sorry.

So it's time to try it again and let us know. Just joking. Thanks for the answer.

• 1 month later...
Sorry for the delay, but these days I'm occupied elsewhere and I don't visit this forum as often.

This "used" to be for many decades a cheap tavern downtown where university kids used to go for beers and tapas. I myself had been there many times in those years. The food was rather low quality and not very good back them, but again, the purpose wasn't really the food but going out with your 'mates'.

A few years back it was revamped indeed and now is no longer a tavern but a restaurant. Haven't been back myself so I can say about their food, but often, when passing by on Fridays and Saturdays I see groups -albeit no longer university kids- now it seems more sort of 30-something and above and also groups of office friends.

We had a marvelous meal here there were 24 of us. And they took very good care of us. service was very good food was even better. And prices were really good. We had a app. Two entree’s 3 glasses of wine and coffee and the Bill was 43 Eruos . I would very much recommend this place

Leigh

Sent from my iPhone using Forums