Barcelona - sagrada familia....question please.

Gnoelj

My partner and I are going on one of the cruises which will be stopping overnight in Barcelona.

Like most visitors, one of the attractions we will want to visit is the Sagrada Famila basilica (we plan to be going there on our own, not with an organized excursion).

I have a question and wondered if any cruisers (or even non-cruisers) who have been to this attraction can help?

I am only interested in visiting the main building and thus require only the "Basic Ticket". My partner, who is keen on churches and religious buildings, he would like to see the main building as well as going up one of the Towers , thus he would require to purchase the "Top VIews" ticket at a different price.

Our concern is that we will "lose" each other if we separate and will find it difficult to meet up again. We plan to visit the Park Guell together after the Sagrada Familia .

If he goes up one of the towers in the basilica, does anyone who have been to the Sagrada Familia know ,if he will come back down to the same place , or near the same place , where he went up? I think visitors to the tower go up and down on an escalator don't they? If he comes back down to the spot where he goes up the tower, I could just wait for him downstairs and meet him when he gets down. If he is required to come back down through another area, or worse, upon return, he is required to exit the building, then we may lose each other.

Also, how long is the added-on excursion to visit the tower?

If some or any one of you can help us with the information we are seeking, we would be very grateful.

People coming down the tower use the same elevator that they went up in. Also, there are many numbered "stations" in the church, so you could plan to meet at one of the stations at some specific time. I think we spent about 30 minutes going up and down the Passion tower.

@Gnoelj

1.) As mentioned, there are a number of reference points on the ground floor ("planta baixa" in Catalan, the local language) that you can easily pre-agree.

2.) FYI: coming down from the towers is ON FOOT, by the stairwell, in any of the two towers. The elevator is only to go up.

3.) Since you mention that you intend to visit Park Güell as well... I would strongly suggest a different arrangement altogether and start in the park then visit the basilica. Sagrada Família is at 2,5km on a gentle downhill slope from Park Güell, so say, a 40' pleasant (descent) walk if going directly. Having said that, I always advise to detour a bit and visit the neighbourhood of Gràcia, a quirky little bohemian neighbourhood, have lunch there and then head to Sagrada Família for an early afternoon visit, say 3:30-4:00 when it's (or might be) slightly less crowded. For further info re:Gràcia check my answer to @JJ2579 and check for my suggestion on WED 16: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7350676-First_Timers_Help_With_5_Day_Itinerary-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#57433425 and the map I mention is this one: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1XGEeOOmF2vlKPEkIKKXE7JuEZ1M&ll=41.405213208837786%2C2.1633088500000213&z=15

Enjoy!

Edited by EnricM

@Gnoelj

1.) As mentioned, there are a number of reference points on the ground floor ("planta baixa" in Catalan, the local language) that you can easily pre-agree.

2.) FYI: coming down from the towers is ON FOOT, by the stairwell, in any of the two towers. The elevator is only to go up.

3.) Since you mention that you intend to visit Park Güell as well... I would strongly suggest a different arrangement altogether and start in the park then visit the basilica. Sagrada Família is at 2,5km on a gentle downhill slope from Park Güell, so say, a 40' pleasant (descent) walk if going directly. Having said that, I always advise to detour a bit and visit the neighbourhood of Gràcia, a quirky little bohemian neighbourhood, have lunch there and then head to Sagrada Família for an early afternoon visit, say 3:30-4:00 when it's (or might be) slightly less crowded. For further info re:Gràcia check my answer to @JJ2579 and check for my suggestion on WED 16: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7350676-First_Timers_Help_With_5_Day_Itinerary-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#57433425 and the map I mention is this one: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1XGEeOOmF2vlKPEkIKKXE7JuEZ1M&ll=41.405213208837786%2C2.1633088500000213&z=15

Enjoy!

Thank you to Enricm and others for providing the answers to our queries.

Yes, it is certainly a very good "tip" to advise going to Park Guell first , and then going to the Sagrada Familia.

The Map link is also very helpful.

Can also we ask please, what are the best ways to get to Park Guell from the Barcelona Cruise Port? Is possible to go by Metro, Tram or the Bus? Which (metro, tram or bus) stop(s) do you get off before walking to the Park (Guell)?

Thank you to Enricm and others for providing the answers to our queries.

Yes, it is certainly a very good "tip" to advise going to Park Guell first , and then going to the Sagrada Familia.

The Map link is also very helpful.

Can also we ask please, what are the best ways to get to Park Guell from the Barcelona Cruise Port? Is possible to go by Metro, Tram or the Bus? Which (metro, tram or bus) stop(s) do you get off before walking to the Park (Guell)?

The Green Line metro stop at Drassanes is closest to the Cruise Port.

You can take the Green Line to Lesseps for Parc Guell.

For Sagada Familia, take the Green Line to Diagonal, transfer to the Blue Line and get off at Sagrada Familia.

The Green Line metro stop at Drassanes is closest to the Cruise Port.

You can take the Green Line to Lesseps for Parc Guell.

For Sagada Familia, take the Green Line to Diagonal, transfer to the Blue Line and get off at Sagrada Familia.

Thanks for your information.

Thanks for your information.

You're very welcome.

Also, the metro has a 10 Euro ticket for 10 rides within the same zone. This can be shared with another person. Depends on how many rides you will take, but it might be something to consider.

Yep... one more thing to add: if you're not keen on walking uphill for say half a mile, I am afraid that going by metro won't cut it. The closest stations, Lesseps and Vallcarca (both in the green L3 line) do require a bit of a walk to reach the park. If you can't handle it, there's another option, which requires a ride on the metro and a transfer to a bus. If interested let me know and I'll explain.

HI.

I spent quite a bit of time at La Sagrada. There is a small brick building right outside the north entrance that was used a a school for the builders children. You could meet there and still go back in to see anything else together. Below the church is an history museum. You can meet at the scale model? The gift shop which is across from the brick school.