Favourite Cruise Ports

Eglesbrech

Being new to cruising and travelling we have only been to a few places and some of those mentioned sound wonderful.

For me I also like the ports that you can walk off and look around, though we have taken a few tours. Wandemunde in Germany is so far my favourite, with others coming close, Ajaccio, Villefranche, Civitavecchia (there is a little outside cafe just along the promenade which is lovely to have a drink at), Cartaghena. I prefer the smaller places to the big cities.

Cruising has allowed us to visit all of these lovely places, which we wouldn't have done with a package holiday. A drop in the ocean to where some of you have been, but to us, it's just wonderful.

Being new to cruising and travelling we have only been to a few places and some of those mentioned sound wonderful.

For me I also like the ports that you can walk off and look around, though we have taken a few tours. Wandemunde in Germany is so far my favourite, with others coming close, Ajaccio, Villefranche, Civitavecchia (there is a little outside cafe just along the promenade which is lovely to have a drink at), Cartaghena. I prefer the smaller places to the big cities.

Cruising has allowed us to visit all of these lovely places, which we wouldn't have done with a package holiday. A drop in the ocean to where some of you have been, but to us, it's just wonderful.

You've had a taste - just think about all the other places out there waiting for you with lots of ideas in the previous posts! Happy travels - enjoy!

I, too, like the smaller places: loved Cadiz and Koper. I think cruise ships had only just started calling there when we went (2011), easy to walk into, friendly people, great ice cream place just off the main square and what seemed like the whole town turned out to line the sea-front promenade as we sailed away, complete with band! On that same cruise the sail out of Venice on a beautiful evening, with a magical sunset was a "I can't believe this is happening" moment. I have a soft spot for Lisbon too - love the sail up/down-river.

Ports are obviously important but also sail ins and sIl outs are part of the experience. Last Sept we sailed out out of Southampton via The Needles. That was pretty special. Evoked imagined memories of days gone by.

Many ports are special but I particularly remember unexpectedly sailing into Grand Harbour, Valletta. We had been scheduled for Dubrovnik but that was scratched due to the troubles and substituted with Valletta. I was standing next to an older gentleman who told me that the first time he saw Malta was when he was in a hurricane which had been launched from a carrier ( his first launch in a hurricane from a carrier.) Fascinating and moving.

Similarly the sail into Istanbul through the Dardanelles listening to old soldiers reminiscing. Won’t be heard again.

Also remember a sail out of Athens past the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sunion being pretty impressive. The setting sun gave the temple a certain quality.

Worst sail by? Turning to port past the IoW in the early hours.

Our favourite sailaway,other than Tilbury of course,was Hong Kong.The Captain had to get special permission to sail the whole length of Victoria Harbour with a laser show,which he said was for us.I took that bit with a pinch of salt.

The sail through the archipelago into and out of Stockholm was worth the cost of the cruise itself to my mind and the old town in Stockholm is also lovely. Funchal in Madeira is another favourite, as is the vibrancy of Lisbon. Most of the ports of call in Norway are hard to beat too, but Olden and the sail into and time spent in Gerainger are wonderful.

The sail through the archipelago into and out of Stockholm was worth the cost of the cruise itself to my mind and the old town in Stockholm is also lovely. Funchal in Madeira is another favourite, as is the vibrancy of Lisbon. Most of the ports of call in Norway are hard to beat too, but Olden and the sail into and time spent in Gerainger are wonderful.
I agree,we did that sail in on RCCL Serenade of the seas but I understand a lot of cruiselines don't sail into Stockholm that way.

And if you're lucky enough to get a sunset behind the stern that's such a bonus too. Magical!