Removing gratuities after a cruise

Harvey1976

Sorry but P&O IS expected to individually notify and obtain authorisation for charges they will be putting on a customer's card.

The charge does not appear anywhere on the booking website, the invoices, the emails, etc.

P&O will refund without blinking.

They notify everybody as I said. Everybody gets a holiday information booklet whether it is online or a paper copy and it makes it very clear about the charges as I said. You can lead horse to water ...

Agree with The English Lady too. The gratuities appear from Day 2 on your statement onboard, allowing time to have them removed. I'm not big stick kind of person either - sorry for mixing my metaphors :'):').

They actually appear on the statement on day 2. (have on every cruise we have done since they came in) I would agree they contact pando but I am not sure your way is the best (stating its not in the tand c so I didn't agree to it). I always use the carrot when I have a problem. Not a huge great stick.

I quite agree. I always find that if the initial contact regarding a problem is polite, informal and reasonable, there is a greater chance of a favourable outcome. No need for threats of legal action until much further down the line, if the previous attempts have not succeeded - which they probably will have done. Just try normal human interaction, possibly initially by phone, so you can discuss it.

I quite agree. I always find that if the initial contact regarding a problem is polite, informal and reasonable, there is a greater chance of a favourable outcome. No need for threats of legal action until much further down the line, if the previous attempts have not succeeded - which they probably will have done. Just try normal human interaction, possibly initially by phone, so you can discuss it.

Yes I agree with you and English Lady. A courteous initial approach is always best. If all else fails you can start quoting legislation.

I do however wish that holiday companies would take the same attitude, they seem to jump straight to the T&Cs every time - even when they are not germane to the situation under discussion.

They notify everybody as I said. Everybody gets a holiday information booklet whether it is online or a paper copy and it makes it very clear about the charges as I said. You can lead horse to water ...

Agree with The English Lady too. The gratuities appear from Day 2 on your statement onboard, allowing time to have them removed. I'm not big stick kind of person either - sorry for mixing my metaphors :'):').

And P&O make very clear that anything outside the T&C's (such as the information booklet) is outside the T&C's.

And this is obvious as otherwise after you booked P&O could sneak into the booklet any old sort of additional charge.

But it gets away from the point there was no authorisation of the charge.

At no point did P&O say - "We want to take £X, do you agree?" and the response being "yes".

Silence is not acceptance in terms of a contract.

As for being nice, of course you would be, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider the ultimate sanction of a card chargeback if they hesitated.