Who pays these prices.

Belfastman

We'd love to go on Azamara again, but the website prices are plain silly and that's before airfares and transfers are added. So we've booked another Royal Clipper cruise. 7 nights in the Caribbean and 4 nights all-inclusive hotel in Barbados, plus premium flights from/to the UK works out to only a little more than a veranda on a 7 night Azamara Med cruise, without flights and transfers. No, we won't have included drinks or a balcony, but will have a great experience (hopefully!).

I wonder if this is killing the golden goose.

I saw an article recently in which Larry Pimental stated" we have still not finalised a decision for a third vessel."

Therefore probably 3 years away.

More worrying was a comment that new environmental regs in 2020 will make it " very difficult" for Azamara to meet"

Sadly I do not remember

Or have details of article and hope it is fake news but maybe Azamara may disappear.

not sure what percentage of RCI turnover it is.

Let me be wrong!!!!

Sent from my ME371MG using Forums mobile app

While Azamara prevaricate over a third ship the ones to watch have to be Viking Oceans, they will have 4 ships by the end of the year with two more due by 2020 and two new orders placed for 2021 and 2022.

They are obviously aiming at the same market as Azamara but with modern fuel efficient all balcony ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While Azamara prevaricate over a third ship the ones to watch have to be Viking Oceans, they will have 4 ships by the end of the year with two more due by 2020 and two new orders placed for 2021 and 2022.

They are obviously aiming at the same market as Azamara but with modern fuel efficient all balcony ships.

.......and they seem to book up fairly fast!

I have looked at all of the cruise lines mentioned, and others as well, as options for our British Isles cruise 2018. At the end of the day it comes down to itinerary and nights in port. No one else can touch Azamara for that. I'm holding out for a good sale[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can understand the concern from Azamara fans in the UK [who are unable to rebook for a better deal], but for those of us in the US and Canada the prices quoted are only place holders. Azamara, unlike the other two lines mentioned, has sales on a regular basis that will lower the prices on most if not all their cruises. BOGOHO+, Double Upgrade, Free Nights, Twice as Nice -- all these reduce the fare dramatically from the rack rates. OTOH we have a Viking cruise booked for next year that is far more expensive than either of our Azamara cruises, and Viking does not ASAIK ever have such sales.

I can understand the concern from Azamara fans in the UK [who are unable to rebook for a better deal], but for those of us in the US and Canada the prices quoted are only place holders. Azamara, unlike the other two lines mentioned, has sales on a regular basis that will lower the prices on most if not all their cruises. BOGOHO+, Double Upgrade, Free Nights, Twice as Nice -- all these reduce the fare dramatically from the rack rates. OTOH we have a Viking cruise booked for next year that is far more expensive than either of our Azamara cruises, and Viking does not ASAIK ever have such sales.

My $663 a night was booked under the free nights - I'm not sure it's going to improve ;)

If the price is the same as Azamara, it's a no brainer to go with Seabourn or Silversea. (I've not been on Regent so can't comment.) Much better real estate, better included wines and many more choices than just two a day, real Champagne as opposed to cheap bubbly, top shelve liquor, significantly better food, better enrichment programs, newer ships, less passengers. 6* vs 5* in my opinion. Even the smallest cabin on Seabourn has a full size bathtub, shower (with a proper door) and double sink. You just can't go wrong. If Azamara is 25% cheaper, than it's worth it. As for Viking, they're on Azamara's level, not on Seabourn/Silversea's.

Our 18th Azamara cruise from Sydney to Auckland in February 2018 may be our last

In may/June this year after making final payment both cruise fares were slashed by 30%

The reduced prices were only offered as guarantee staterooms

There have been many more cruises reduced as guarantee only

We normally book long cruises and B2B2B on some occasions (travel costs from Australia)

We will never book guarantee staterooms so we are unable to book all the special discounts

Several guests on the May/June cruises booked the guarantee expecting to receive the $199 upgrade

They were Discover and Discover Plus neither received the upgrade offer

One ended under the showroom the other looking at the side of a tender

Peter

Several guests on the May/June cruises booked the guarantee expecting to receive the $199 upgrade

They were Discover and Discover Plus neither received the upgrade offer

One ended under the showroom the other looking at the side of a tender

Cabin location is important to me and why I won't book a guarantee either. Unfortunately the loyalty category upgrade doesn't apply to GTY bookings.

Phil

I saw an article recently in which Larry Pimental stated" we have still not finalised a decision for a third vessel."

More worrying was a comment that new environmental regs in 2020 will make it " very difficult" for Azamara to meet"

Sadly I do not remember

Or have details of article and hope it is fake news but maybe Azamara may disappear.

Let me be wrong!!!!

I am sorry to say that I believe that you are probably on the money and they are coining it while then can.

Edited by Bloodaxe
Add to comments

We are only booked on the original Circle Japan cruise because of an incentive we received when our 2016 Asia cruise was cut short so Quest could go into drydock sooner. Without the 20% discount, there's no way we would have booked it. That cruise sold so well that Azamara reworked their April cruises to add the 13-nighter. The prices are insane - they are higher than what we paid for 15 nights. It's not wonder every category still has cabins available, and plenty of them, from the looks of it.

As my former boss often remarked, pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered. I don't think that one can go wrong with any of the luxury lines, and when they are less expensive than Azamara (which IMO does have the better itinerary, but not by that much), then I would go for them.

Place holding bookings can only be storing up problems for the cruise line. Fine if the customer rebooks using a promotion that's just a reduction in profit, and of course unfair to those of us who don't get that privilege. However if they think they have a fully booked ship then at balance due date find 10-20% cancel because there have been no deals and the customer was not prepared to pay the higher cost it's a big hit.

Maybe prices are higher just to allow for that so those customers who book a number of cruises and choose the best offer later are being subsidised by those of us who don't have that ability.

Used to be that early bookers had the best deals, we proved this over a number of bookings, now that's not the case. As much as we enjoy Azamara every product has its price and at the moment Azamara's 2019 prices are higher than we are prepared to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can understand the concern from Azamara fans in the UK [who are unable to rebook for a better deal], but for those of us in the US and Canada the prices quoted are only place holders. Azamara,

And this placeholder behaviour is unfair both to guests and the cruise line. Guests in some countries pay high prices as a result and the cruise industry including travel agents waste money on rebooking and cancellation activities.

Why don't they offer two prices cancellable and non cancellable like hotels and airlines do. You find the two prices come together anyway nearer departure dates but at least those who genuinely plan to travel get a fare price by committing ahead. I'd even be happy to pay a higher deposit to secure the deals the later bookers now seem to snag. I'm insured against the reasons I'd cancel anyway.

Sadly I do not remember

Let me be wrong!!!!

Interesting comment.

Not certain what "environmental regs" are being referenced, but in terms of fuel Captain Johannes told me today that the Journey is presently running on the "champagne" of fuels because of requirements in the British Isles (EU?).

If there is a concern emerging, I imagine it's shared by Oceania with its larger fleet of "R" ships.

Interesting comment.

Not certain what "environmental regs" are being referenced, but in terms of fuel Captain Johannes told me today that the Journey is presently running on the "champagne" of fuels because of requirements in the British Isles (EU?).

If there is a concern emerging, I imagine it's shared by Oceania with its larger fleet of "R" ships.

Last month, Milen, Chief Engineer explained the fuel mixes to us. We had some very tight conditions on mixes in the Norwegian fjords which meant the highest cost mix had to be used which I kind of understood, but he also said that when they came into UK waters that was a similar set of rules for quite a distance out to sea which did surprise a little though fisheries protection is so important. This rule did not apply elsewhere eg in part of the Med. Now you mention it, it does give a perspective to why some cruises might be getting very expensive as the fuel costs have to be factored into these prices. If more and more countries are requiring champagne that will be a challenge.

I think he also said there was some high cost modification that could be done as well as the minor modification which was the sort of thing the next dry dock in Jan might look at so I suppose these modification costs have to be looked at vs running on champagne

Last month, Milen, Chief Engineer explained the fuel mixes to us. We had some very tight conditions on mixes in the Norwegian fjords which meant the highest cost mix had to be used which I kind of understood, but he also said that when they came into UK waters that was a similar set of rules for quite a distance out to sea which did surprise a little though fisheries protection is so important. This rule did not apply elsewhere eg in part of the Med. Now you mention it, it does give a perspective to why some cruises might be getting very expensive as the fuel costs have to be factored into these prices. If more and more countries are requiring champagne that will be a challenge.

I think he also said there was some high cost modification that could be done as well as the minor modification which was the sort of thing the next dry dock in Jan might look at so I suppose these modification costs have to be looked at vs running on champagne

Thanks so much for that information.

The idea of modifications seems quite plausible if they wish to limit both pollution and long term costs.

I just compared the Regent and Azamara Japan itineraries; there is a considerable difference and not in favor of Regent which I would love to cruise. We cruised Korea/Japan 2 years ago on a Ponant ship and prefer new ports. Regents is a partial repeat. Silver Seas has only 7 ports in 13 nights.

If you are not picky about ports, you can choose your line at a price you feel comfortable with. Of course, we could cruise on Princess at a lower cost than on all the three lines mentioned, but none of the Princess itineraries looked good to me. For first timers, they are probably a good option.

We were excited to hear that Azamara had such a port intensive cruise around Japan until we priced it out. Can't justify the huge price difference between Azamara and the almost identical itinerary, during the same month, on the Celebrity Millenium. Celebrity is HALF the price and one day longer. We would certainly have paid more to be on Azamara, but sadly the price difference for this itinerary is just too much to justify.

We were excited to hear that Azamara had such a port intensive cruise around Japan until we priced it out. Can't justify the huge price difference between Azamara and the almost identical itinerary, during the same month, on the Celebrity Millenium. Celebrity is HALF the price and one day longer. We would certainly have paid more to be on Azamara, but sadly the price difference for this itinerary is just too much to justify.

What cabin categories are you comparing? To equal the food and service on Azamara, the minimum level on Celebrity should by a Sky Suite.

Of course, we could cruise on Princess at a lower cost than on all the three lines mentioned,

I thought just that, but with the 'extras' - gratuities, drinks and shuttle service we could have paid for another cruise. It just wasn't cost effective!

What cabin categories are you comparing? To equal the food and service on Azamara, the minimum level on Celebrity should by a Sky Suite.

While I agree that the Azamara experience is superior to the Celebrity experience, I wouldn't equate the food in the MDR on Azamara with the food in Luminae or the included drinks on Azamara with the drink package (and Michael's Club) on Celebrity. A Sky Suite on Celebrity also gives you a butler and a few other perks. The Sky Suite is more comparable to the Club Continent Suite (about the same size as on the M class ships and includes butler and specialty restaurants but the same limited included drinks as the other cabins.)