An unsettling situation with NCL. Your thoughts and suggestions ?

zdad59

I am so glad that service people are getting the recognition they deserve. While I was not in the military I have taken care of returning soldiers in the medical setting.

Unfortunately I think that when one enters into a contract one should take the consequences of being in that contract. And not ask for special treatment.

I am just curious what countries' militaries the posters think NCL should give exemptions to from the cruise contract cancellation section?

And if voluntarily taking a job in the military means that exemptions should be given to the cruise contract, what about those others who also serve for the public good - police, firefighters, school teachers, doctors and other medical personnel, civil service employees, road workers, utility repair persons.... The list is endless of those who voluntarily chose a profession that have job requirements that sometimes impose limitations on their vacation time.

Are they also "special" or should they be responsible enough to understand the implications of their action in choosing their job and other life decisions?

I am just curious what countries' militaries the posters think NCL should give exemptions to from the cruise contract cancellation section?

And if voluntarily taking a job in the military means that exemptions should be given to the cruise contract, what about those others who also serve for the public good - police, firefighters, school teachers, doctors and other medical personnel, civil service employees, road workers, utility repair persons.... The list is endless of those who voluntarily chose a profession that have job requirements that sometimes impose limitations on their vacation time.

Are they also "special" or should they be responsible enough to understand the implications of their action in choosing their job and other life decisions?

Spot on!

Where is the attack?

Can you just stop....while its clear you have no filters, can you just try to get some help? My God, its sacriledge what you post.

There used to be little tolerance for inane comments like the one above that attack another member. There also used to be mods who would delete posts not related to the topic , and threads not specific to the cruise line under which they were posted would be moved.

Questioning your mental status adds nothing to the “conversation.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have your idea of right and others have another idea. Cruise Lines do things in the name of good will everyday. I just want to push to make sure that happens.

Your idea of “right” is simply wrong. Blackmailing companies because you failed to do any basic level of research is bad for everyone.

This is the same issue as a lawyer getting a guilty person off on a technicality. You win, but society loses in the long run.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it is an opinion. Your crusade to “help” people profit from their mistakes is just wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Excactly.

I understand your point however there is no such things as a 'technically'. The law is the law. It is not 'technicality'.

:confused: Technically, those aren't even the same word. That is the technicality that causes the reader to take the writer just a bit less seriously.

The fact that this thread is approaching 100 replies goes to show just how far Cruise Critic has changed.

This used to be a place for cruisers to share their cruise experiences, but it has veered off course and is fast becoming a platform for the aggrieved. In this case, "The rules, while clear, are not in my favor. How can these rules be circumvented??"

No person serving in the military (at least the ones that I served with) does so with the intent of getting special recognition or favors. I think that it is noteworthy that the person who is the subject of the thread is NOT the one here seeking "how do I get around the rules" advice. To me, that speaks volumes.

The serviceperson has entered into two different contracts. One with a branch of the US Military, another with Norwegian Cruise Line. By enforcing the terms and conditions of their contract, the US Military has created a situation where one contract has a conflict with the other. The real question is, when that happens, which party should bear the financial responsibility?

Given that nobody is suggesting that the US Military should bear the responsibility, it would then fall to the person who entered into the two conflicting contacts, or to the cruise line. In the realm of the aggrieved, the blame always falls to the cruise line. Always. No. Matter. What.

Only a cheerleader wouldn't see that. :rolleyes:

I think most insurance policies exclude military action (including training exercises and service). I’m not judging the practice, I just think it’s standard (it’s an exclusion in the NCL-sold policy.)

The issue I have (and it was being discussed on another forum yesterday) is you have to read the contract - which the quoted poster is telling people to do, as a “lesson learned.”

If they didn’t read the contract, why is it now the company’s fault?

I’m actually surprised that a military family wouldn’t have run into this issue before. Military service is very risky, which is why we should be thankful for those who serve.

“Cancel for any reason” policies may cover deployments, but it would depend on the specific policy, and those policies need to be purchased very early.

USAA covers military duty/ leave revocation in full on their travel insurance.... Just looked ours up.

Believe you're saying NCL should make an exception for your son and the rest of the family. You obviously think he and you deserve this special consideration. I'm not so sure. Not saying you all don't deserve special treatment, just not sure. Your son volunteered for this, he knew what he was signing up for, and he's getting paid. I pray God will be with your son.

Believe you're saying NCL should make an exception for your son and the rest of the family. You obviously think he and you deserve this special consideration. I'm not so sure. Not saying you all don't deserve special treatment, just not sure. Your son volunteered for this, he knew what he was signing up for, and he's getting paid. I pray God will be with your son.

You may want to read the original post again.

Two things:

1) Spell the word correctly.

2) Use the word correctly.

Have YOU read Your Cruise Critic guideline's?

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people may have learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

There used to be little tolerance for inane comments like the one above that attack another member. There also used to be mods who would delete posts not related to the topic , and threads not specific to the cruise line under which they were posted would be moved.

Questioning your mental status adds nothing to the “conversation.”

Easy.

If you find any post offensive, click on the little triangle at the top, and state your case to the mods.

It works. I can attest to that fact. Several posts have been removed.

I don’t understand why so many are giving completely unhelpful non-advice how they would never be in this situation in the first place.

Especially considering the fact that they actually purchased travel insurance. I'd have much more limited sympathy if they hadn't purchased insurance and expected to be refunded since no one would ever purchase travel insurance if everyone could get refunds without buying it. But they just made a mistake in assuming what their travel insurance covered. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes like that in my life and trip planning.

I don’t understand why so many are giving completely unhelpful non-advice how they would never be in this situation in the first place.

Yay, you?

There is no advice other than fight it out with the insurance company.

There is no reason to bash NCL - it’s not their issue.

There is no reason to bash the insurance company if someone is making a claim that is specifically excluded in the policy they purchased.

Why should everyone start waving banners that these poor people were treated unfairly? They weren’t.

The best advice given was from the people complaining who were quoted in the very first post - read everything before you sign it. Apparently, they failed to do so.

That should have been the end of the discussion.

There is no discussion. There is now “I want something I didn’t pay to receive because I deserve special treatment”, and others are wasting everyone else‘s time trying to enable that.

Many people are noting that there is no discussion because this issue comes up constantly - “I can’t go on my cruise because (illness, job problems, wife left me, fill in the blank) and mean, evil NCL won’t give me my money back.”

The only difference is this time, the complainers actually had insurance - just not the right policy.

I don't get the trip insurance thru the cruise lines because they are SO over priced. But I actually just looked at my policy and it does state:

"You or Your Traveling Companion is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war" - or - "revocation of Your previously granted military leave or re-assignment

due to war. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required"

In my opinion, active military should cruise for free. Small price to pay for serving this country.

In my opinion, active military should cruise for free. Small price to pay for serving this country.

It would be a small price to pay for you since it would be the cruise line shareholders who would be paying for this.:rolleyes:

Nothing is stopping you from getting that credit card out! Even absurd policies have to start somewhere.