Getting from Port Liberty to Union Station

East Coast Departures

Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:14 AM.
Nashville, TN
2,126 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by BigHouseFootball
Thank you for the kind words. I may very well use Dial 7 or Carmel Car Service to get us from our hotel in NYC to the port.
Definitely hire a service to go from NYC to Bayonne. It’ll be the same as a cab or Uber since you’re crossing the state line and taking the Holland Tunnel.

It was roughly $85 for a “basic” car from Dial7, we upgraded to the Towncar since there were 4 of us and we had a fair amount of luggage for our 9-night cruise and 3 nights in NYC. That was $100 (after gratuity).
Richmond, VA
206 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Excellent. Thank you. It’s just the wife and I so the “basic” should work just fine for us.

We are planning on walking from New York Penn Station to the hotel...I’m assuming this is a normal thing to see in NYC? I ask because I know if I saw people walking down the sidewalk in Richmond I’d definitely think it was strange haha!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Allure of the Seas 2016
Freedom of the Seas 2014 (Honeymoon)
Nashville, TN
2,126 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Excellent. Thank you. It’s just the wife and I so the “basic” should work just fine for us.

We are planning on walking from New York Penn Station to the hotel...I’m assuming this is a normal thing to see in NYC? I ask because I know if I saw people walking down the sidewalk in Richmond I’d definitely think it was strange haha!
I probably wouldn’t, but that’s your call. Taxi from NYC Penn Station to Times Square was around $20. A New York block and a Vegas block have a lot in common.
Boston area
20,356 Posts
Joined Jan 2007

Folks walk in the Penn Station area of NY with luggage. I did it in January and saw many others as well. You want to exit the station onto 8th Ave, walk north to 41st, and west to 10th. If you decide on a cab, you can get one at the station going north on 8th Ave. Corners are mostly curbless, which is helpful with rolling luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

NJ/NV
3,606 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
People walking with luggage is very normal in NYC, and in Vegas too....Looks like it is about a mile of walking, once you get out of the station. If I was doing it I would walk up 9th ave and check out all of the little restaurants that line 9th. Taxi lines can be long depending on the weather and the time of day you are arriving. Oh, if you want to go camera shopping B&H photo's super store is at 34th and 9th, right on your route . NYC blocks north and south are reasonable but the east/west blocks can be pretty long.
New york
694 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
HEADS UP, uber lyft can not pick up at cruise terminal. They can only drop off. So everyone who's making this thier planplease double check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chandris-1987
Disney- 1994
Carnival- 2001
RC Voyager of the Seas - 2004
RC Majesty of the Seas - 2016
Rhapsody of the Seas- 2017
RC Harmony of the Seas- 2018
Rc Grandeur of the seas-2019
Rc Adventure of the seas-2020
Baltimore, Maryland
863 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I've visited Yotel. Has a nice young vibe. Check to see who is in the Green Room while you're there. We enjoyed it.
One tip. If you've never used Uber or Lyft, you can download the app for each of you. Get a nice little discount.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Nashville, TN
2,126 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by suesnake2002
HEADS UP, uber lyft can not pick up at cruise terminal. They can only drop off. So everyone who's making this thier planplease double check.

Sure they can. I just watched hundreds of people use Uber & Lyft a couple of weeks ago - they pick up just outside the actual port pick-up/drop-off area. Just exit the building and walk directly across the street to where the cars turn right into the pick-up/drop-off area.
Long Island, NY
7,213 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by 138east
There have been comments posted about folks having problems getting Uber/Lyft pickups at Cape Liberty. Your plan B should be to go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty to get transportation to Newark Penn Station.

There have also been comments about seeing surge pricing at Cape Liberty during departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New york
694 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Key words outside port pick up

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chandris-1987
Disney- 1994
Carnival- 2001
RC Voyager of the Seas - 2004
RC Majesty of the Seas - 2016
Rhapsody of the Seas- 2017
RC Harmony of the Seas- 2018
Rc Grandeur of the seas-2019
Rc Adventure of the seas-2020
Nashville, TN
2,126 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by suesnake2002
Key words outside port pick up

I guess I don’t consider 20 steps “outside port” :-)
Richmond, VA
206 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Awesome information everyone! I’ll definitely be using this come August.

Also, checked today and we got tickets for Colbert! Well...we got tickets to wait in the line for tickets for Colbert. Email said the line opens at 3:30 and they start handing out tickets at 4:30 and go until they reach capacity. They go to the general line after the premium line is empty or 4:30 which ever comes first.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Allure of the Seas 2016
Freedom of the Seas 2014 (Honeymoon)
Westfield, MA
102 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Off Adventure 3 weeks ago, June 1 at Cape Liberty. Uber back to Newark Penn Station took an hour due to traffic. Driver said it was normal work day traffic delay. Cost for 4 using Uber XL was just over $60.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCCL Rhapsody 1/98
RCCL Granduer 1/00
Celebrity Galaxy 2/02
NCL Sky 2/04
RCCL Serenade 11/05
Celebrity Galaxy 02/07
RCCL Adventure 02/08
Caribbean Princess 05/08
NCL Spirit 07/09
NCL Jewel 04/10