AGM battery for power chair

I’m planning to bring my power chair on my NCL Jewel cruise in July. But now the a rep for Delta Airlines is questioning my batteries. They are “sealed lead, absorbed glass mat (AGM), 12 v 18 hours)”. She’s asking me for part numbers and all sorts of crazy questions.

She says every airport has to be alerted. Special boxes have to be ordered. And that this is a “wet cell” battery. I suppose that’s technically true, but from what I read the FAS allows them and they can stay installed on my chair.

Does anyone have personal or professional knowledge regarding these batteries and whether or not they’re allowed on airplanes? The last thing I want is to arrive at the airport with a chair they won’t accept!

Thanks.

Here is what Delta's website says about them:

Wheelchairs/Mobility Aids with Spillable and Non-spillable Batteries

Wheelchairs and mobility device that require batteries are allowed as checked baggage, albeit some rules, of course. Here are the guidelines for both spillable (wet-cell) and non-spillable (gel) batteries:

• Battery must be able to be visually inspected and disconnected
  • Terminals must be protected from short circuit
  • Battery must be able to be securely attached to the wheelchair or mobility aid

Note: If the wheelchair cannot be loaded on the aircraft in an upright position, spillable (wet-cell) batteries must be removed and packaged in special packaging, provided by Delta.

From what I can gather by a brief look-up of this battery type on the internet, it falls into the "non-spillable" category. These are not unusual batteries for powered wheelchairs and scooters.

AGM batteries can literally have a hole blown in them by a gun and not spill the electrolyte. That is the purpose of the fiberglass mats. Do the same to a gel battery, and you get goo all over.

As noted in the Delta website quoted above, there is nothing special about an AGM battery in your scooter, so there should be no problems with "notifying airports". Call back, get another CSA or a supervisor, and explain that the AGM is a non-spillable battery.

It’s weird because I called their accessibility department. You’d think they’d know what they’re talking about, but she seemed clueless.

Mine is a very lightweight, foldable chair (like a lawn chair plus a base). I think I’m going to bring it disassembled in its two pieces, label it, and let them just check it at the counter. I’ll remove the joy stick and I’ll bring the heavy duty packing box for the batteries. Hoping they’ll let me carry on the batteries. With the joystick removed, there’s really not much harm they can cause.

Speaking of carrying on the batteries, will I have any difficulty taking them through security?

The TSA site states that to carry on AGM batteries (non-spillable wet cells), they need to be less than 100 watt hours. Even a small AGM battery for a Go Go chair is 12 volt, 12 amp-hours, which is 144 watt hours (multiply volts times amp hours). I think you'll have to check the batteries.

The TSA site states that to carry on AGM batteries (non-spillable wet cells), they need to be less than 100 watt hours. Even a small AGM battery for a Go Go chair is 12 volt, 12 amp-hours, which is 144 watt hours (multiply volts times amp hours). I think you'll have to check the batteries.

I see. Thanks for the information on that!

My husband and I were just discussing the batteries last night. They sit enclosed in a heavy-duty bag in a depressed section in the base at the back of the chair.

When I transport it in my SUV, the battery bag gets unplugged and removed intact (batteries still connected in series to each other inside the bag) and placed in the back of my vehicle along with the base and folded chair.

MY QUESTION now is - Does anyone know (assuming they’ll need to breakdown the chair to transport it) if the airline will require the batteries to be separated and repacked versus the entire battery bag placed in a box? If so, I assume I would be the one responsible to disassemble and reassemble the battery pack? My husband won’t be with me and I lack confidence in working with electrical components after an accidental (small) electrocution accident decades ago. [emoji51]

Sorry for all the questions. I’ve just never flown with my chair before. I have some autoimmune conditions that cause extreme energy and strength deficiencies. I was hoping by bringing the chair to use onboard to conserve energy, I’d feel well enough to get off at some of the ports.

Thanks!!!

Best is to check directly with TSA at your local airport. My reading of the regulations is that the batteries must be disconnected, and the terminals taped. They can remain in the battery bag. Yes, you will be responsible for securing the batteries. I understand your healthy respect for electricity, but these are 12 volt batteries, and while they may make your finger tingle for a minute, they really can't hurt you. I've worked my whole life with electrical systems, from 12 volt dc like your scooter to 10,000 volt cruise ship propulsion systems. My suggestion is to have your husband, or someone who you trust and feel confident in, to take the batteries apart, tape the terminals, then remove the tape, and reconnect the batteries, all while filming on your phone, so you have a step by step visual key to doing it right.

Best is to check directly with TSA at your local airport. My reading of the regulations is that the batteries must be disconnected, and the terminals taped. They can remain in the battery bag. Yes, you will be responsible for securing the batteries. I understand your healthy respect for electricity, but these are 12 volt batteries, and while they may make your finger tingle for a minute, they really can't hurt you. I've worked my whole life with electrical systems, from 12 volt dc like your scooter to 10,000 volt cruise ship propulsion systems. My suggestion is to have your husband, or someone who you trust and feel confident in, to take the batteries apart, tape the terminals, then remove the tape, and reconnect the batteries, all while filming on your phone, so you have a step by step visual key to doing it right.

Excellent idea to have him do it while I record or take pics!!!

My previous incident was with a/c on a radio I was working on. I know it was fairly benign, but I’ll never forget the feeling of the electricity running through my body and the inability to release my fingers.

Now I’m just a big baby about it...lol. I just let my husband handle these things. (Note to self: No more travel without the husband [emoji16])

THANKS!

Delta Airlines in Fairbanks actually just called me with some questions and we had a very informative discussion.

They confirmed AGM batteries must be checked. They also will be removed from the wheelchair and placed in an appropriate box which Delta will supply.

So, I will bring the chair disassembled and tagged with the batteries already in the shipping box we received them in. I’ll reassemble my chair and reconnect my batteries the following morning at the pier.

Now that I’ve heard definitively from the airline as to the process, I feel much more confident that this isn’t such a big deal.

You guys are the best - [emoji16]

I've traveled extensively domestically and internationally on many airlines, including Delta, with my power wheelchair, which for a while had AGM batteries*. I've never had to take batteries out of the chair. My chair is a permobil (not designed to be disassembled), and I installed a quick-disconnect on the cable between battery and control. Sometimes airlines like to tape the ends but not always (to cause a spark, which is what they're concerned about, one would have to poke wires into the connection ends; flopping around during turbulence would not do it).

* I honestly don't remember if my current (heh, pun :) ) batteries are AGMs, but they are sealed, non-spillable, gel batteries. And for over 20 years non-spillable batteries have been the norm for wheelchairs in the US (and quite likely elsewhere, though there may be exceptions).

I've traveled extensively domestically and internationally on many airlines, including Delta, with my power wheelchair, which for a while had AGM batteries*. I've never had to take batteries out of the chair. My chair is a permobil (not designed to be disassembled), and I installed a quick-disconnect on the cable between battery and control. Sometimes airlines like to tape the ends but not always (to cause a spark, which is what they're concerned about, one would have to poke wires into the connection ends; flopping around during turbulence would not do it).

* I honestly don't remember if my current (heh, pun :) ) batteries are AGMs, but they are sealed, non-spillable, gel batteries. And for over 20 years non-spillable batteries have been the norm for wheelchairs in the US (and quite likely elsewhere, though there may be exceptions).

Thanks for replying. I initially thought I had the gel batteries and told Delta that’s what I had. Apparently, the gel batteries are not an issue whatsoever.

But then I discovered that mine are the sealed lead, non-spillable, AGM type.

So, I called Delta back to inform them and that’s when I was told that the batteries had to be disconnected, placed in special (airline-provided) boxes, and checked.

I wasn’t confident in what this particular lady was telling me as she seemed a little bit clueless. However, I later received another phone call from Delta at the Fairbanks airport and they explained the entirety of the situation to me. They seemed extremely competent.

At least I now understand the process of flying with my power chair. Not such a big deal...at least not the flying part!

But then I discovered that mine are the sealed lead, non-spillable, AGM type.

So, I called Delta back to inform them and that’s when I was told that the batteries had to be disconnected, placed in special (airline-provided) boxes, and checked.

According to 49 CFR §175.10 Illustrated, AGM batteries do not need to be transported separately from the chair if the battery can be "Securely attached to the wheelchair or mobility aid" and "the wheelchair or mobility aid design provides an effective means of preventing unintentional activation" -- e.g., the device mentioned by Enforcer in reply #11 above, the quick-disconnect I had installed, and possibly key-controlled on/off switches.

If you believe the chair is safer transported disassembled, by all means do that. But if it is sturdy enough when assembled*, and the batteries are attached securely, it's a lot less hassle to transport as is. It's also quicker to tell if you need to file a damage claim with the airline.

* It can be hard to determine what's best. Disassembled, the parts may be more likely to be tossed like regular luggage or end up under other luggage. Assembled, it may be ridden, sat on, and leaned on by baggage handlers (I understand why they do it, as heavy power chairs can be a pain to push and it's not always clear what should be used for pushing, but it's still irritating; we've seen burly baggage handlers step onto my wheelchair via the footrest rather than sit and then place their feet on it, resulting in my feet dangling until we can reset things**). It also needs to have a way to put it into and out of push-mode.

** It's a good idea to pack a few tools in checked luggage, along with spare fuses (don't ask why I now do this), though the advantage of a cruise is the maintenance folk have access to all the cool toys, I mean useful tools :). Hotels often do as well, though if you're traveling internationally you may encounter the fun of metric wrenches being not quite the same size as imperial ones.

Sorry, that's probably WAY more info than you really want, but sometimes it can be helpful to be over-prepared :)

According to 49 CFR §175.10 Illustrated, AGM batteries do not need to be transported separately from the chair if the battery can be "Securely attached to the wheelchair or mobility aid" and "the wheelchair or mobility aid design provides an effective means of preventing unintentional activation" -- e.g., the device mentioned by Enforcer in reply #11 above, the quick-disconnect I had installed, and possibly key-controlled on/off switches.

If you believe the chair is safer transported disassembled, by all means do that. But if it is sturdy enough when assembled*, and the batteries are attached securely, it's a lot less hassle to transport as is. It's also quicker to tell if you need to file a damage claim with the airline.

* It can be hard to determine what's best. Disassembled, the parts may be more likely to be tossed like regular luggage or end up under other luggage. Assembled, it may be ridden, sat on, and leaned on by baggage handlers (I understand why they do it, as heavy power chairs can be a pain to push and it's not always clear what should be used for pushing, but it's still irritating; we've seen burly baggage handlers step onto my wheelchair via the footrest rather than sit and then place their feet on it, resulting in my feet dangling until we can reset things**). It also needs to have a way to put it into and out of push-mode.

** It's a good idea to pack a few tools in checked luggage, along with spare fuses (don't ask why I now do this), though the advantage of a cruise is the maintenance folk have access to all the cool toys, I mean useful tools :). Hotels often do as well, though if you're traveling internationally you may encounter the fun of metric wrenches being not quite the same size as imperial ones.

Sorry, that's probably WAY more info than you really want, but sometimes it can be helpful to be over-prepared :)

I had also read those regulations about the batteries and tried to assert that point with the initial contact with Delta...but she wasn’t buying into my argument. She then informed me that Seattle, Vancouver, and Fairbanks airports would all have to be “alerted” to ensure everyone was properly prepared to handle my batteries. It was a bit surreal to me. Like I was carrying a seriously dangerous item.

But then the realization hit that this is airplane travel and, of course, I want our flight to be as safe as possible. Ultimately, if Delta wants my batteries taken off and packaged, that’s what we’ll do.

It definitely would be easier to travel with the chair assembled. My chair actually can be manually pushed very easily. It’s simply a matter of throwing a lever on each rear wheel to disengage the motor. So, I suppose it could be an option to leave it assembled, have my traveling companion push me through the airport, and just check the removed batteries (in Delta’s own boxes) along with my luggage. I hadn’t thought about that.

But then the realization hit that this is airplane travel and, of course, I want our flight to be as safe as possible. Ultimately, if Delta wants my batteries taken off and packaged, that’s what we’ll do.

Don't let Delta charge you extra for the wheelchair or the batteries or to say that they count toward your baggage allowance--they don't. Here's a good page describing the rules they have to follow: https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/wheelchairs-and-other-assistive-devices

Don't let Delta charge you extra for the wheelchair or the batteries or to say that they count toward your baggage allowance--they don't. Here's a good page describing the rules they have to follow: https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/wheelchairs-and-other-assistive-devices

Thanks!