1.5% fee added to credit card charges?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:12 PM.
Toronto, Canada
4,369 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Globaliser
Sorry, you need to look at the bigger picture. The addition of a credit card fee in countries that allow such fees does not mean that the product is necessarily more expensive in those countries when bought by credit card, or that the product would necessarily be cheaper if such fees were not allowed there.

I don't care if it's cheaper -- that's another argument. I'm talking about a specific additional charge that is unavoidable as an international traveler that could be avoided if I was a local. I feel gouged because I have no option other than to pay by credit card, and that makes me feel as if either they don't want my business or they want to gouge me.

So your complaint that you're paying more in total when you pay a fee for using a credit card is more a matter of perception than reality.

Yes, but it's your perception that is wrong -- that was never my complaint. I don't like being penalized for buying something over the internet from 8000 miles away when I have no other feasilble option.

If the card company doesn't charge currency conversion fees, there will be some other costs. Credit card companies aren't charities, and "no currency conversion fees" is a marketing device not a piece of altruism. So make sure you find out what the costs are, and how to avoid them (if you can).

Well, duh! Of course they're not charities or altruistic. Credit card companies make most of their money from interest payments on charges, and their interest rates are exhorbitant. However, if you pay your bill in full and on time, you don't need to worry about whether their interest rates are higher than someone else's.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
London
22,671 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by calliopecruiser
I don't care if it's cheaper -- that's another argument. I'm talking about a specific additional charge that is unavoidable as an international traveler that could be avoided if I was a local. I feel gouged because I have no option other than to pay by credit card, and that makes me feel as if either they don't want my business or they want to gouge me.

Yes, but it's your perception that is wrong -- that was never my complaint. I don't like being penalized for buying something over the internet from 8000 miles away when I have no other feasilble option.
If the merchant was not allowed to charge a fee for using a credit card, you would have paid the same amount as the that which you are now paying including the credit card fee. How is that being gouged or penalised, other than in your own perception?

The current price without the credit card fee is in effect a discount for cash payment. But you are not paying in cash. How is it reasonable to demand a discount for cash payment when you are not paying in cash?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-
Australian spelling lesson: There is no 'U' in .-

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
UPDATED: Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_
Sydney Australia
1,031 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
You do not avoid the fees if you are a local. You are not being discriminated against for being in another country. The only way to avoid the fee on Jetstar, for example, is to have the booking put on hold and make a direct payment into their bank account by electronic banking (or use their own credit card I think) I always do it by direct payment for the specific reason of avoiding the additional credit card fee. In Australia electronic transfer is probably the main way of paying for many things these days and debit cards are growing in popularity compared to credit cards.
We do not especially like using our main credit card overseas as it also a debit card which will access our main accounts. We just went to Malaysia and I booked the flights on Expedia, accommodation mostly on booking.com, took cash and changed it there the first night in Kuala Lumpur and we barely used a credit card at all.
Toronto, Canada
4,369 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by Karennella
took cash and changed it there the first night in Kuala Lumpur and we barely used a credit card at all.
That may be what I end up doing in NZ - using primarily cash. I'm pretty sure I can use my debit card in ATMs there (as I have in Europe), but I don't know if I can use it at retailers. And then I don't know if they'll add a surcharge since it's not a EFTPOS debit card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sydney, Australia
1,611 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by Karennella
You do not avoid the fees if you are a local. You are not being discriminated against for being in another country.
Totally correct.

calliopecruiser, I trust you can see past this as it is much a do about literally nothing. If you are able to just lodge your cc to reserve your accom, which is often the case if you deal directly with the hotel, you will be able to pay in cash when you stay. At times though to secure the best rate, you need to pre-pay and use a cc or similar - so a better rate with just a little extra fee. Just imagine what would have had to happen say 50 years ago, before we had cc's.

The cc fee is declared up front, unlike when you book a hotel room in say USA and then are hit with bed tax, state tax,local tax etc etc.

If you intend to rent a car during your visit, please be aware there will be charges over and above the advertised daily rate & maybe a cc fee

Co-incidentally we are travelling to your country later this year - we are sure we will get 'surprise' costs, but what the heck, we will be in the Canadian Rockies

Happy cruising
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
Radiance OTS Jan/Feb '19 - NZ - Auckland to Sydney
Reef Endeavour Jul/Aug '19 - Yasawa Islands - Fiji

======================
Completed

Explorer OTS Mar/Apr '18 - Pacific Islands
Voyager OTS Nov '17 - QLD Coastal
Sun Princess Mar/Apr '17 - Round Australia
Carnival Legend Dec'16/Jan'17 - New Year Cruise - Pacific Islands