Amber Cove- Waterfalls weight limit

harleyquinn228

Hi all!

Crusing in April and stopping at Amber Cover. We have 6 of us signed up for the waterfall excursion, and another friend decided to join us on our sailing! yay! However, the excursion says it has a weight limit, and he exceeds it. I was wondering if anyone had encountered this and been OK with it? I don't really see anything that would need a weight enforcement but I'm not sure. I really would hate him to be wandering by himself while the 6 of us are off doing something else.

Any help is appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

We'll be there in two weeks so I can give you a better answer but I think it's related to the strength required to pull you up. Google some videos of the falls and you'll see the guides "catching" people as they're coming down several of the falls. :)

We did this in 2016 and enjoyed it. The weight limit is probably due to 4 things:

1. The depth of the pools you jump into. Depending on how much rain they have, they may not be deep enough for a larger person. The heavier you are, the deeper you go. I weigh about 200 and hit the bottom in 2 pools.

2. There were a couple of ladders we had to climb down. They weren’t the sturdiest I have seen and I am sure there is a weight they can safely hold.

3. The hike up to the falls is fairly long and steep, at times. You don’t need to be an Olympic athlete, but if someone has to take a break after a flight of stairs, this probably isn’t for them.

4. As mentioned in a previous response, the guides sometimes stand at the end of a slide or bottom of a jump to assist you in landing. They can only assist people up to a certain limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JT, my son is a bigger guy too, 6'2, 220lbs. When you hit the bottom did you hurt yourself??

No, it was basically like jumping into a pool and hitting bottom and pushing off with your feet. The downside is you can’t see the bottom and don’t know how deep it is. I assume If the water level is low, they don’t allow you to jump off of some of them.

Thanks for the replies. My friend decided he wasn't going to worry about it. He apparently did this on a previous trip to DR and knows that at this time, it wouldn't be good for him! 2 of the others have decided to opt out and they will be doing something else together instead. (PS I am pretty petrified to do this myself 0.o)

I appreciate the help!

Thanks for the replies. My friend decided he wasn't going to worry about it. He apparently did this on a previous trip to DR and knows that at this time, it wouldn't be good for him! 2 of the others have decided to opt out and they will be doing something else together instead. (PS I am pretty petrified to do this myself 0.o)

I appreciate the help!

You will enjoy it. It’s not really scary, but is a lot of fun. It is one of the best excursions we have done in the Caribbean. Most of the slides / jumps are not that high and they have a way around if you decide the bigger ones are more than you want to do. But I encourage you to try them all.