Ships Shuttle Service Iconic Cities of Western Mediterranean

Mrs Miggins

On our first Viking cruise Empires of the Mediterranean, we were impressed with the shuttle service in those ports which were not walkable from the ship i.e. Athens, Corfu, Dubrovnik.

How do we establish which shuttles are available in our upcoming cruise.

Barcelona - we have always been berthed at the World Trade Centre with Azamara but Viking will be in the main port I think. There is an organised paid local bus shuttle for all cruise lines but perhaps Viking do their own ?

Marseilles - I would think there will be a shuttle here ? Where does it stop?

St Tropez - tendered

Monte Carlo - tendered so no shuttle required. Most times on Azamara we were docked which is in a better location although out itinerary always said tendered - Have Viking ever been docked ?

Livorno - again on Azamara we were always docked by the Customs House so could walk into town - I presume Viking provide a shuttle but again where to ?

Exact locations help with planning of you are going to DIY the ports.

On our last Viking we often took the included tour then stayed on in town and used the shuttle to return, which was really useful.

BARCELONA: Shuttle does not run on embarkation/disembarkation day (take a cab or use the public port bus. On Day 2, it runs from the ship to the Esplanade in front of the World Trade Center every half hour.I can't remember the time for the first shuttle. Viking will set up a manned marquee on the Esplanade so that you will know where to wait. You could also walk into town but it is a long walk with a steep gradient (a bridge going up and over) and imho, why waste your time. Either take one of the shuttles to the espalande or a cab to your destination. For more information about the Moll Addossat check out: https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html

Viking will dock at A,B, C or D (depending on where they are assigned--and it may change from what is printed in your cruise docs). The shuttle will take you to the esplanade between S and N. The buses shown on the map are the port bus run by the local public transit authority.

cruise-terminal.gif

We are on the same itinerary as you though a month later. In January of this year we sailed from Barcelona with Viking. We were docked at Moll Adossat which was quite disappointing. When we've been on Azamara we've always been at the foot of Las Ramblas and I was expecting Viking to be there too. I heard that ships dock where there's availability so perhaps that doesn't mean that Viking will always be at the faraway location, but that's what we had. Maybe in January 2018 we'll get lucky and be closer though of course we won't know that until our cruise docs arrive next month. About shuttles--I'm pretty sure Viking provided one though don't quote me because we ended up staying on board the day we boarded in Barcelona. I think the bus schedule wasn't convenient or something like that. Sorry I can't be of more help.

About Monte Carlo: you're tendered? When we were there in January we docked and it was so convenient! I hope you you will be docked too.