Acadia RCI Land Tours

bjohio

I see there are 3 RCI land tours of Arcadia. Two mentioned touring on Loop Rd. and going to Cadillac Mt. However the tour to Jordon Pond for lunch mentions only going to Cadillac Mt. but not the loop tour part. First, is lunch at Jordon Pond worth maybe losing out of seeing more of Arcadia? Has anyone taken the Jordon Pond trip and if so how much of Arcadia do you get to see?

It's Acadia, no R.... Mainers add their R's to the end of things, Amander (Amanda)... and remove all R's that are there... Bah Hah Bah (Bar Harbor)

but anyway, I think to get the most out of a tour of the park you need to do the loop. To get the full feel of Acadia and Bar Harbor, grab a bite to eat when you get into town. You'll never have a lobstah roll like you would in Maine.

Enjoy our lovely state, and bring a sweatshirt. Even in the summer it can be wicked cold.

:D

We did a NE/Canada cruise on RCI in July of '08 and did a wonderful tour of Acadia National Park with Acadia National Park Tours (http://www.acadiatours.com). They were terrific, we saw so much in 3 hours, and their location couldn't be more convenient. Check out their website and see if it offers what you are interested in.

Karen

Thanks for both your comments- like the idea of doing the whole loop tour and then having a lobster roll in town. Although probably not a problem in such a small area we think we are more comfortable sticking with RCI tours so as not be late for the ship--- but will check out the other company you suggested.

Thanks for both your comments- like the idea of doing the whole loop tour and then having a lobster roll in town. Although probably not a problem in such a small area we think we are more comfortable sticking with RCI tours so as not be late for the ship--- but will check out the other company you suggested.

Just don't try the lobster ice cream. YUCK! Try the blueberry ice cream. YUM!

We did a NE/Canada cruise on RCI in July of '08 and did a wonderful tour of Acadia National Park with Acadia National Park Tours (www.acadiatours.com). They were terrific, we saw so much in 3 hours, and their location couldn't be more convenient. Check out their website and see if it offers what you are interested in.

I quadruple endorse this recommendation! The guides are GREAT - we had lunch with ours. Ignore the RC excursions and book with acadiatours. You won't be sorry.

I have never cruised to Bar Harbor so I can't comment specifically on Acadia Tours but I have used several other tour agencies while cruising. Don't worry too much about getting back to the ship on time. First, Acadia is not huge so you shouldn't have to worry about getting stranded "in the middle of nowhere". Second, the tour companies know how critical it is for you to get back to the ship on time. They rely heavily on cruise ship traffic. They do not want the bad press that would be associated with causing passengers to miss their ship.

I have come to trust the experiences of the people on these boards. If you get several recommendations from other people here, I would feel safe using that tour company. If you care to search further, go to the ports of call board and see what others have to say.

As a tour guide for the company contracted by RCI, a bit more detail to possibly aid you. * loop tour does the entire Park Loop Rd - 27 mile. lots of scenic vistas along drive, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs & Cadillac Mountain to name a few. *Jordon Pond House tour does a section of the loop rd including Cadillac Mountain, but does not go by Thunder Hole or Otter Cliffs. Lunch is yummy with popovers fresh from the oven. View of Jordon Pond and Bubble (mountains) is nice. Lunch is more of a leisurely tour than loop road. Your transportation vehicle with RCI tours are modern motorcoaches w/bathroom. *National Park Tour transportation is school bus and Ollie's Trolley is trolley. *Ollie's tour goes by Thunder Hole & Otter Cliffs but not Jordan Pond. *do not know National Park Tour first hand so I can't comment on their routing.

My final comment is: go in to Acadia National Park and see it, in any way you can. It's beautiful and no matter who's tour you take, it's worth it.

Archived