Star Clipper 4/28/12 - Sicily & Greece

wrestlingterp

• 4 months later...

To help capture some of the experience of life on the Clippers I suggest that you go to the open part of the bridge, or the area adjacent thereto, early in the morning as the ship is approaching or anchoring/mooring at that day's Port of Call. Similarly be in that area when departing in the afternoon/evening. For the afternoon/evening sailaway the ship will be playing Vangelis 1492, The Conquest of Paradise (also known as Columbus). Can be quite emotional. Also suggest that you have your camera(s) to hand on those occasions. If there are dolphins in that part of the Med at that time of the year the early morning is the most likely time to see them - maybe swimming along under the bow of the ship. You are likely to meet some very interesting fellow passengers on your holiday and, maybe, make some new friends - we have during our Royal Clipper and Star Clipper holidays in the Med and the Caribbean. Your holiday could leave you with lots of stories to tell for years to come. You lucky people - have a super holiday. We have to wait until August for ours - on the Star Flyer in the Baltic.

Your holiday could leave you with lots of stories to tell for years to come. You lucky people - have a super holiday. We have to wait until August for ours - on the Star Flyer in the Baltic.

Thanks for the suggestions! Seems more relaxing than the mega-ships, and more international too.

• 4 weeks later...

I opened my E Mails this morning just before I came on to this site. On it is an E Mail from some long established friends of ours to let us know they have just booked on the Star Flyer later in the year - some coincidence. Some other friends of ours, who we first met on the Clippers, are, as I type this, about half way across the Atlantic (Caribbean to Med) on the Star Flyer.

A Star Clipper story. A few years ago, in the Med on the Star Clipper were three generations of a family from Washington State including the 14 year old son/grandson who I will call J. (name remembered). J. was the only child on board. He was "adopted" by the Captain. Within 24 hours of boarding the ship J. was given a personally conducted tour of the engine room. Usually the sea chart for the voyage is put in to a raffle which you can enter if you wish. On that occasion J. was asked by the Captain to draw the raffle, which he did. The chart was won by a gentleman passenger (I would love to win the chart, which I would frame and treasure). So, what did the gentleman do with the chart - yes, he gave it to J. Wonderful. We still have a picture of J. at the wheel steering the ship (under supervision of relevant crew member). Early one morning we were sailing in the lee of Corsica. On the outside part of the bridge there is an instrument showing the wind speed. J. was standing there and I explained the instrument to him and asked him to watch carefully and let me know if/when the needle went up to the figure 8. After a few minutes it did so. 8 is for force 8 - a gale. Because we were in the lee of Corsica the sea state was fairly calm despite the wind strength. The ship was really going - I said to J. ...."J. you are sailing in a gale". He went down below, got his mother out of bed and brought her up to the bridge to explain to her that she was sailing in a gale!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great cruise. Only about 105 passengers but the weather was great and our fellow passengers friendly and interesting. It was announced that about 60% of them were repeat Star Clipper passengers. JOBAKE, you planted a seed in my mind. There was only one child on board, she was 5 and the next closest in age to her was probably 35! I ended up winning the chart and surprised her by giving it to her as something to remember her big adventure by!

We'll sail with Star Clippers again in the future.

Very pleased that you enjoyed your holiday. In one of my earlier posts I said that a holiday on the Clippers could get quite emotional - I did not realise that the emotion could spread via my computer!! How wonderful of you not only to win the raffle but to give the Chart to that young girl. She, and you, will always remember that. I hope that we will meet up with you on one of the Clippers one day (we have had such a coincidental meeting, including lunch together, with us on the Star Clipper with a couple from Australia, them on the Star Flyer, when both ships were in Taormina together) - the first round (champagne?) is on us.

Archived