What should I wear?

smithp7

Hi Everyone, My husband and I will be going on our first viking ocean cruise on October 4th/11th (Venice and the Adriatic)and I'm feeling a little anxious over what I should be wearing on the boat for dinner etc. I welcome all advice and suggestions. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977Thanks, Pat

Hi Everyone, My husband and I will be going on our first viking ocean cruise on October 4th/11th (Venice and the Adriatic)and I'm feeling a little anxious over what I should be wearing on the boat for dinner etc. I welcome all advice and suggestions. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977Thanks, Pat

Anything you want. Whatever makes you happy. The dinner dress code is "elegant casual." Jackets are not required for the men. The only things not acceptable in the specialty restaurants and MDR are shorts, T-shirts and bathing suits. I have seen everything from double-breasted suits to jeans and a button-down.

Personally, DH wears dockers and a button-down while I travel in skirts and top combinations that work for day or night.

do men wear polo shirts with collars to dinner or just long-sleeved button down dress shirts?

Viking is very informal. Polo style shirts with collars is typical. So are long sleeved shirts without button down.

Even the occasional shorts & T-shirt, but it's the exception Supposedly not allowed, but allowed.

Anything you want. Whatever makes you happy. The dinner dress code is "elegant casual." Jackets are not required for the men. The only things not acceptable in the specialty restaurants and MDR are shorts, T-shirts and bathing suits. I have seen everything from double-breasted suits to jeans and a button-down.

Personally, DH wears dockers and a button-down while I travel in skirts and top combinations that work for day or night.

Thank you Peregrina651 for always taking the time to help a novice out. I love the time of year we're traveling but weather can vary greatly between Venice and Greece so I feel I have to prepare for all seasons😊I also want to have an active vacation so good walking shoes I think are really important too. Especially when walking on cobblestones in Venice etc. Thanks again, Pat

Thank you Peregrina651 for always taking the time to help a novice out. I love the time of year we're traveling but weather can vary greatly between Venice and Greece so I feel I have to prepare for all seasons😊I also want to have an active vacation so good walking shoes I think are really important too. Especially when walking on cobblestones in Venice etc. Thanks again, Pat

Pat, I'm with you. The right shoes is probably the most important thing to pack. Actually, even though shoes are the hardest thing to pack, we try to have two pairs of walking shoes, just in case one pair gets soaking wet. DH will wear his to dinner as well and I pack a pair of ballet flats.

Pat, I'm with you. The right shoes is probably the most important thing to pack. Actually, even though shoes are the hardest thing to pack, we try to have two pairs of walking shoes, just in case one pair gets soaking wet. DH will wear his to dinner as well and I pack a pair of ballet flats.

I made the mistake of wearing a "cute" pair of shoes for our post-cruise extension in Prague. Won't make that mistake again.

We always wear our walking shoes on the plane to save suitcase room.....and agree, super important item.

Yes, the bulkiest pair of shoes goes on our feet! We have discovered Skecher GoWalks (for both of us) and it has made packing shoes easier--especially his. We can walk for hours in them and they don't look like athletic shoes (at least the styles we have chosen don't). Clark's also has a line similar to the GoWalks that I am about to test out for our next trip.

Yes, the bulkiest pair of shoes goes on our feet! We have discovered Skecher GoWalks (for both of us) and it has made packing shoes easier--especially his. We can walk for hours in them and they don't look like athletic shoes (at least the styles we have chosen don't). Clark's also has a line similar to the GoWalks that I am about to test out for our next trip.

I just bought the Skechers Go step lite and I love the fit and feel of them. I wonder if they hold up on vacation with all the walking on cobblestone streets etc? I'm going to check out the Clarks store too.

I just bought the Skechers Go step lite and I love the fit and feel of them. I wonder if they hold up on vacation with all the walking on cobblestone streets etc? I'm going to check out the Clarks store too.

I have worn my Skechers, Go Walk on two different Med cruises for a total of 30 days in Europe. I also bring a pair of Echo sandels too.I trade off between the two pair for walking during port days.

Hi Pat, it all sounds very informal and after years of travelling with Cunard I think I'm in for a culture shock! Won't be sad not to have pack the formal wear plus shoes and bags - though will miss the glitz a bit. I will be taking smart casual clothes as well as a couple of long summer frocks. My Rohan lightweight trousers for the trips, white jeans & T-shirts and shorts, One pair of dressy sandals, a pair of flats, light weight walking shoes (gortex so waterproof) - I'll will wear them on the journey out as we have a transfer at Amsterdam and that can involve, what feels like, miles of walking)

and of course the ubiquitous flip flops and a couple of pashminas.

So looking forward to 4 Oct. Val

I have worn my Skechers, Go Walk on two different Med cruises for a total of 30 days in Europe. I also bring a pair of Echo sandals too.I trade off between the two pair for walking during port days.

I have had the same experience. Three weeks traveling in the Med in December/January (with Uggs as my alternate walking shoes) and two weeks doing Midnight Sun and no complaints from my feet.

Hi Pat, it all sounds very informal and after years of travelling with Cunard I think I'm in for a culture shock! Won't be sad not to have pack the formal wear plus shoes and bags - though will miss the glitz a bit. I will be taking smart casual clothes as well as a couple of long summer frocks. My Rohan lightweight trousers for the trips, white jeans & T-shirts and shorts, One pair of dressy sandals, a pair of flats, light weight walking shoes (gortex so waterproof) - I'll will wear them on the journey out as we have a transfer at Amsterdam and that can involve, what feels like, miles of walking)

and of course the ubiquitous flip flops and a couple of pashminas.

So looking forward to 4 Oct. Val ��

Hi Val, I feel much better since I purchased a couple pairs of comfortable shoes. I'll probably pack the same way that you're packing with the clothes and shoes. Do you think it'll be warm enough for shorts? I feel like it'll be fall weather on the cruise. Any idea on weather? We'll be spending sometime in Santorini after the cruise so I feel like I have to dress for cool and warm climates. We're definitely going to be swimming as well:) I'm trying not to over pack so I can bring some things back in our suitcases:) I'm getting so excited!! Pat

Hi Val, I feel much better since I purchased a couple pairs of comfortable shoes. I'll probably pack the same way that you're packing with the clothes and shoes. Do you think it'll be warm enough for shorts? I feel like it'll be fall weather on the cruise. Any idea on weather? We'll be spending sometime in Santorini after the cruise so I feel like I have to dress for cool and warm climates. We're definitely going to be swimming as well:) I'm trying not to over pack so I can bring some things back in our suitcases:) I'm getting so excited!! Pat

Shorts may be pushing it a bit.:D I will pack my swimsuit - even if its only to use the spa! Early October is usually warm in the Eastern med but it does begin to get noticeably cooler and wetter as the month goes on. It is also getting cooler in the evenings. We were in Crete last week and it was still very hot (30C +) Santorini is a 2.5hours seacat ferry from Crete so I imagine the weather will be similar - your will love Santorini - except ironically when too many cruise ships anchor up in the caldera. But you may be lucky and have the island to yourself. One of the things I will take is a brolly - it can always act as a parasol if the Eastern Med has a heatwave - you can never tell these day:cool:

One of the things I will take is a brolly - it can always act as a parasol if the Eastern Med has a heatwave - you can never tell these day:cool:

I don't bother. Viking has them in the cabins (in the closet) and on the gangway on rainy days. It is a good sized golf umbrella, better than the folding ones I have. With the folding ones, I always end up with a dry face and a wet posterior, so even though they don't fit in my day bag, I prefer the Viking umbrellas.

I don't bother. Viking has them in the cabins (in the closet) and on the gangway on rainy days. It is a good sized golf umbrella, better than the folding ones I have. With the folding ones, I always end up with a dry face and a wet posterior, so even though they don't fit in my day bag, I prefer the Viking umbrellas.

Great tip on the umbrella:) I think I'll be bringing 2 pairs of skechers and leaving my waterproof hiking shoes at home. Trying not to overpack:) I need room to add my new purchases:) Pat

I liked the Viking umbrellas when it was already raining, but for those maybe rain days, I still like to carry my mini folding one.

I liked the Viking umbrellas when it was already raining, but for those maybe rain days, I still like to carry my mini folding one.

Point taken:) I think I will pack a small one as well that I can take in my bag. I also plan on bringing a rain coat just in case.

Peregrina651, just curious, but what style sketchers do you have? They all seem to look athletic. I do a lot of walking at work, so I was looking

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Look for the GO Walk label inside on the foot bed.

I have a black suede pair wiith black soles that I do wear to work. They are slip ons that come in many colors.