New to MSC: trying to change existing reservation on Seaside

Mpls35

Reserved in March 2017 an interior room for the January 13 sailing on Seaside for my myself, husband and child. We are on the 14th deck with a Pullman bed. We've sailed once before with our child and prefer a bunkbed and/or a larger room. So I'm trying to find an upgrade (willing to pay- not looking for a freebie). Just spoke with MSC and the agent was very rude and told me there were "no available upgrades" on that ship. I nicely explained to her that I had found at least an upgrade to an oceanview cabin (180 sf vs. interiors 150 sf). She was defiant and told me that was impossible but eventually relented and said that was available. Do you think it's worth the upgrade? (The cost is only $400 more) The layout appears different, and it appears to be the same size as a balcony (sans the balcony sf, of course)

Also, members of my family booked this same cruise, and for the same price got larger interior rooms on the corners of hallways. The size difference appears to be marked (interior rooms range between 150-301 sf) Any insider tips to try to get a better room, or is the attitude of the agent telling me that this ship is full and upgrades are going to be rare? The agent I spoke with told me I should have spoke directly with my "PVC"- I didn't realize that was a "thing" and looked up our reservation and found the name of the agent we booked with originally. I called and left a message for him.

Thoughts/tips? Thank you!

Reserved in March 2017 an interior room for the January 13 sailing on Seaside for my myself, husband and child. We are on the 14th deck with a Pullman bed. We've sailed once before with our child and prefer a bunkbed and/or a larger room. So I'm trying to find an upgrade (willing to pay- not looking for a freebie). Just spoke with MSC and the agent was very rude and told me there were "no available upgrades" on that ship. I nicely explained to her that I had found at least an upgrade to an oceanview cabin (180 sf vs. interiors 150 sf). She was defiant and told me that was impossible but eventually relented and said that was available. Do you think it's worth the upgrade? (The cost is only $400 more) The layout appears different, and it appears to be the same size as a balcony (sans the balcony sf, of course)

Also, members of my family booked this same cruise, and for the same price got larger interior rooms on the corners of hallways. The size difference appears to be marked (interior rooms range between 150-301 sf) Any insider tips to try to get a better room, or is the attitude of the agent telling me that this ship is full and upgrades are going to be rare? The agent I spoke with told me I should have spoke directly with my "PVC"- I didn't realize that was a "thing" and looked up our reservation and found the name of the agent we booked with originally. I called and left a message for him.

Thoughts/tips? Thank you!

The larger inside cabins are mostly "H" designated, and as such are special needs cabins (H stands for handicapped), if you book one you may be bumped out if a person with special needs requires one.

You have also met the MSC attitude that PVC / TA must earn their commission and if you book through one they won't deal directly with you only via the PVC /TA.

from the 2018/2019 on line brochure

interior%20cabins.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

The larger inside cabins are mostly "H" designated, and as such are special needs cabins (H stands for handicapped), if you book one you may be bumped out if a person with special needs requires one.

You have also met the MSC attitude that PVC / TA must earn their commission and if you book through one they won't deal directly with you only via the PVC /TA.

Pete

That explains the attitude- thanks! I'll speak directly with PVC from now on.

The two rooms my family members booked are not "H" designated. There are around 4-5 of them on each of levels 15 and 14. Probably impossible to get at this point. Lucky ducks.