Windows 10 Class on NA

SS Exeter

Yes...there are a variety of Windows 10 classes. We just got back from a 7 day cruise and I went to a few of them. I didn't learn much, but did pick up a few tidbits. Here are some of the class titles from the Microsoft Digital Workshop:

Windows 10 Essentials

Store and Share with One Drive

Make Living Postcards with Movie Moments

Bring Photos to Life with Windows 10

Explore the Windows Store

Get to Know Cortana

Do More with Edge

Collaborate with OneNote

Learn to Use your Digital Camera

Use Windows Mail and Calendar

There would be a few classes each day and they would be repeated two or three times during the week. Also a Q & A session was held each evening at 5:30 pm with the workshop host.

Second the suggestion to get to classes early. The tech also offers separate times each day for Q&A. This can be helpful if you are unsure of any of the lessons.

I bring my own Surface so if classes are full, can sit in the back or along the windows and still take part.

As a new Windows 10 user as of October, 2016, I found that my Classes on the Nieuw Amsterdam in December, 2016 and January, 2017 were not as helpful as I had expected. The instructor went too fast in asking us to do what he wanted us to do on the computers, at least for me. I gave up attending feeling that I could better enjoy my cruise time than leaving the class feeling frustrated.

Others have posted excellent advice about arriving very early for the class. A line starts to form, maybe 30 minutes before the scheduled time.

Not to detract from your question, but as someone with experience with Windows 8 and 10, if I were you, I'd consider options to purchase a computer with Windows 7 and avoid upgrading to Windows 10 as long as possible. I bought a new computer with Windows 8 and then upgraded it for free to Windows 10, and ended up having to roll back the Windows 10 "upgrade" to Windows 8 because most of my software encountered problems trying to work with W10. And W8 was no picnic either. I ended up buying a couple of refurbished computers just to be able to continue to operate with Windows 7. I telework so having a reliable operating system is crucial to me, and I found W8 and W10 to be very unreliable. With them, I found myself constantly trying to find a workaround to accomplish what I needed. The IT people at my work suggested avoiding W8 and W10 as long as possible. I bought 3 "refurbished" computers with Windows 7 (1 desktop and 2 laptops) just to get around the issues with W8 and 10, and have been thrilled with my purchases. I've had them for about a year and a half and have had no issues at all, which is a far cry from the issues I had with 1 computer with W8 upgraded to W10.

Just a suggestion.

... because most of my software encountered problems trying to work with W10.
When I upgraded my ASUS to W10 I lost the use of my Pioneer DVD drive. W10 doesn't recognize it as a DVD, and Microsoft says contact ASUS. ASUS says they won't supply new driver s/w, contact Pioneer. Pioneer says contact one of the other two ... I forget which. :mad:

Like you, I have one computer that I intend to keep on W7 as long as possible because of some things that won't run on my W8.1 or W10 computers.

I went from Windows XP to Windows 10 and I love it! There are some things that I have had to learn to do differently. HAL's classes that I attended did not help me to learn how to do this.

I went from Win 3.1 to Linux and Mac !

Best IT decision ever [emoji6]

My wife uses Win10 at work , she was happy with the the classes on the Prinsendam last summer .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not to detract from your question, but as someone with experience with Windows 8 and 10, if I were you, I'd consider options to purchase a computer with Windows 7 and avoid upgrading to Windows 10 as long as possible. I bought a new computer with Windows 8 and then upgraded it for free to Windows 10, and ended up having to roll back the Windows 10 "upgrade" to Windows 8 because most of my software encountered problems trying to work with W10. And W8 was no picnic either. I ended up buying a couple of refurbished computers just to be able to continue to operate with Windows 7. I telework so having a reliable operating system is crucial to me, and I found W8 and W10 to be very unreliable. With them, I found myself constantly trying to find a workaround to accomplish what I needed. The IT people at my work suggested avoiding W8 and W10 as long as possible. I bought 3 "refurbished" computers with Windows 7 (1 desktop and 2 laptops) just to get around the issues with W8 and 10, and have been thrilled with my purchases. I've had them for about a year and a half and have had no issues at all, which is a far cry from the issues I had with 1 computer with W8 upgraded t

Just a suggestion.

Winddawn - brilliant thinking about how NOT to have to use windows 10. Perhaps that is why my husbands new computer, with Windows 10, is still in the box. He bought it about three weeks ago. He is still using his old ones. My old one just completely dropped dead. Geeks couldn't revive it. So I am using a new one. Love the new computer - touch screen and all -- but am learning the new system. Many things I just did automatically - now are "How the hell do I do this???" Wish we had a 14 year old kid living with us - they just know all this stuff.

Thanks to all for you feedback - Happy Sailings!:cool:

As a true XP disciple, who has been forced to migrate to W10, I attended some of the Digital Workshop classes onboard.

They are ok, but you need to be there early to get a workstation.

here is the link to the Digital Workshop webpages with a list of available classes and the page with downloads of the class handouts.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Activities_DigitalWorkshop&showHeader=true&showFooter=true