New England cruise in August

Jayne117

There are cruises in August to New England, so obviously you won't be experiencing the fall foliage. I imagine the foliage is the main reason people do the NE cruise. Are there any advantages of going in August? I can't go Sept or Oct because of school, but don't know if the August trip would be worth it.

How warm/cool is it up that way in NE? Ok to swim on the ship? Less rain then you would expect in Oct?

There are cruises in August to New England, so obviously you won't be experiencing the fall foliage. I imagine the foliage is the main reason people do the NE cruise. Are there any advantages of going in August? I can't go Sept or Oct because of school, but don't know if the August trip would be worth it.

How warm/cool is it up that way in NE? Ok to swim on the ship? Less rain then you would expect in Oct?

Yes! It's a beautiful place anytime of the year. Boston is a bastion of history, the ocean is warmer, the weather is warm (actually hot a good deal of the time) all of the major sightseeing venues are open and the city isn't yet swarming with all the college students moving back in.

I live here and there's a multitude of things to do. We also do vacations in Portland and they also have a lot to offer as well.

I would hope people came here for more then the foliage because it reaches peak at different times of the year and it is a lot less then compared to inland.

There's culture, history, dining to suit a variety of tastes and some of the most beautiful scenery around.

Jayne,

I actually would prefer to cruise New England/Canada in August when it would be warm, summer-like weather to be outside on the pool deck and balcony. Out on the ocean is the place to be in New England in August -- warm days, refreshing ocean breezes and cool evenings. While seeing the foliage is enjoyable too, I would rather drive into the mountains to view foliage (often not a lot of trees near cruise ports!) and be on a cruise ship when you wouldn't have to have a jacket on to sit outside (which would be the case in late Sept and October).

Enjoy!

Lynne

Typical August weather in the Boston area would be mid to high 80's - perfect for swimming on the ship. August also tends to be somewhat humid, so being on the water can be a blessing.

As the others have posted, Boston is rich in history, culture, and charactar (and characters. It's been referred to as "a drinking town with a baseball problem.")

Many cruise passengers find that one of the trolley tours gives a nice overview of the city.

Come and enjoy!

Yesterday I booked my New England cruise for August 2009! My husband is already tired of hearing me talk about it!

You all raise great points about August sailing. I would rather have warm weather and be able to go in the pool. A drive through the mountains is better to view the fall foliage. I can't wait to try the Boston Clam Chowder and hike in Acadia National Park!

If you came to New England now you'd experience our interesting weather. It's 3:30 am and it's near 80 degrees. It'll be in the 90's later in the day.

May I suggest Legal Seafoods, the Barking Crab or the No Name Restaurant for your chowder.

-Bob

I agree. My favorite of the 3 is the No Name's chowder.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion:

Advantages to cruising in August: depending on cruise line, fewer guests since many are interested in just foliage (late Sept, early Oct), families traveling since they have school aged kids who can't go later in the year, warmer temps in towns and on water (ok for sun bathing and swimming on ships, and even some hearty souls will look for beaches in areas to go to for the day). Shops and private excursion tours are open for business - many close after Labor Day, if not Columbus Day.

Disadvantage to cruising in August: no fall foliage, towns might be more crowded with tourists who drive, families w/kids (if you aren't in to that scene).

Archived