Hopewell Rocks Portland MA

Frequent Floater

I’m confused :confused:.

There is no Portland MA(ssachusetts);

There is a Portland M(ain)E.

But it is not close to Hopewell Rocks which is in the north east end of the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick, Canada http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/English/index.htm

If I were doing a driving tour of the Canadian maritimes, I would stop there; but since I’m assuming you’ll be on a cruise, I wasn’t able to figure out which port you’ll visit is closest to it. Anyway, I would want to visit at low tide so I could walk out on the exposed sea bottom.

SBtS

Typo there it is in fact Maine and we do port in Portland 8am to 6 pm.

A friend had traveled thru that area last year and said that it would be a 7 hour trip/tour I am not so sure I want to spend so much time driving to and from unless it is really worth seeing rather than sticking with the typical tours in and closer to Portland.

Thanks I appreciate your help

We port at 8am to 6 pm. Carnival offers a 9 hour tour on their site to HR.

Some of the tour companies I have contacted have a 7 hour option. It is 2 hour there and 2 back . Allot of time required so wanted to know if it was actually worth using it all up for just that tour.

Thanks for your replies..

Hopewell Rocks should be offered as a Carnival tour out of St. John New Brunswick, not Portland ME. Haven't done the tour from a cruise ship, but did visit the Rocks while traveling through with camper. Drive from St. John to Hopwell is well over 2 hours each way. Landscape is lovely along ride, but not much more than trees, trees and more trees.

H.R. are fascinating and on my "things to do in one's lifetime if able" as they are eroding away more and more each year and in 25 years or so the mushroom rocks may be gone.

One key thing you'll want to check before booking that tour is the time of the tide. If you're due at the rocks between 3 hours before and after low tide, you'll be able to walk on around the rocks (wear old shoes / sneakers as it's very muddy and you may want to dispose of them when done. If it's on the 3 hours before / after high tide, you'll only get to experience the rocks from walkways along the shore and won't see the "mushroom" effect.

Thanks SP, this is the kind of info I was looking for.. Not sure where my head was when I posted as I know HR is in St. John..

I did see the tour listed in CCL shore tours but with a group it sometimes is better option to private hire and be able to save a few $$$. Just not sure it would be worth the stress on the time end of it all to do a non ships tour for such a long distance..on the other hand we might just be able to beat the crowds by loading up and on the road and back sooner being our own little group and not waiting on tons of other passengers..A real toss up.

I would like SOME time to walk around the town before boarding the ship..

This would be one of those once in lifetime tours.

Oh and a huge thanks on the tide and shoe info..that it the best info...

Archived