First time renting a car in hawaii

sassyredhat

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find it. :confused:

We are arriving in Honolulu on Friday, Oct. 19, 2018. We want to go to the Boyodo-In temple in Kanehoe via rental car.

We have seen traffic in Honolulu. Is it less stressful to just take the ship's tour, which we have done before??

Am I correct in that Thrifty will have a car at the pier if we have made prior reservations? Or, do we have to get the car somewhere else?

Trying to make this easy for DH. He hates traffic. :D

TIA,

Patti

Traffic isn’t always bad- just at the usual times of day. If you want the freedom to go where you want when you want then rent the car- the bus from the ships tour sits in the same traffic you might. At least you have your own space.

In terms of thrifty specifically, I don’t know. I’ve only rented with Avis there and they do drop off.

Of course it will be less stressful taking a tour as opposed to driving.

I have not heard of any car rental company that delivers to the port. They would be very popular. Hertz had a desk at the point for awhile, but they shuttled you to the airport to get the car.

Of course it will be less stressful taking a tour as opposed to driving.

I have not heard of any car rental company that delivers to the port. They would be very popular. Hertz had a desk at the point for awhile, but they shuttled you to the airport to get the car.

I should have clarified that I have one of Avis’ top loyalty status and part of the deal is that they deliver. Sort of assumed they would do something similar but who knows— always worth a call.

But being shuttled to the airport is ridiculous- there are plenty of other rental counters for all the major rental companies within blocks of the pier. Easy taxi or Uber for a few min.

Am I correct in that Thrifty will have a car at the pier if we have made prior reservations?

Apparently not. The following is from a Hawaiian car rental website. You probably will want to contact Thrifty is advance to see if their policy remains the same today. Note that three companies use the same address:

Transportation:

Call Thrifty Shuttle (Hertz/Dollar/Thrifty)

bus1.png

Instructions:

phone-icon-20x20-l.png

Upon docking at cruise ship pier, call 808-973-5922 for courtesy shuttle pickup (allow approx ½ hour for pickup).

Notes:

Cruise ship pier pick-up is only available from the location at 2002 Kalakaua Avenue - choose that location to rent from. Vehicles must be returned to 2002 Kalakaua Avenue.

If you rent a car, I recommend that you download the Shaka Guide for Oahu and purchase the Circle the Island tour. This tour takes you to the temple you want to see. The tour then proceeds around the eastern side of the island counterclockwise to Haleiwa and then south from there back to Honolulu. Shaka Guide is amazing, keeps up with you by GPS and talks about where you are. It is available to download free from the app store. You purchase the tours you want from within the app. You can preview before you buy.