Torshavn, Faeroe Islands & Kirkwall, UK July 2018

We will be in Torshavn, Faeroe Islands in July from 8A-2P and Kirkwall, UK from 8A-4P. Looking for recommendations of tour companies or other options to see the highlights from anyone who has visited these Ports of call. Our time in Torshavn is limited as you can see.

Are any of these Ports DIY or should we try to arrange a small group private tour? Prefer to stay away from the cruise line tours. Thoughts, ideas or recommendations much appreciated.

There has been lots of advice on these ports on this board. Try using the search function and read through the threads for recommendations.

I haven’t been to Torshavn, but Kirkwall has plenty of options for private tours, or you could use the public bus sightseeing route.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Torshavn we had a bad experience with Greengate Incoming. Driver was uninformative and his English was not good. A pity as it is a very pretty place.

In Kirkwall we did a tour with Wild about Orkney. I was given the information by the local tourist board. Excellent tour with very knowledgeable driver. Pity about the terrible weather.

In Torshavn we had a bad experience with Greengate Incoming. Driver was uninformative and his English was not good. A pity as it is a very pretty place.

We were in the Faroe islands in July 2012, we docked at Klaksvik and did a full day Faroe Highlights tour with 61N, which included Torshavn and several other sights. The tour was excellent and the islands really beautiful, wild and windswept and we thoroughly enjoyed the day. It was a relatively small group, about 16 of us if I remember right. Our driver/guide was a school teacher and extremely proud of his country and heritage, regaled us with ever so many stories and anecdotes.

However, a quick look at 62N's website doesn't show any shore excursions, you may want to email them to ask.

https://www.62n.fo/en

We were in the Faroe islands in July 2012, we docked at Klaksvik and did a full day Faroe Highlights tour with 61N, which included Torshavn and several other sights. The tour was excellent and the islands really beautiful, wild and windswept and we thoroughly enjoyed the day. It was a relatively small group, about 16 of us if I remember right. Our driver/guide was a school teacher and extremely proud of his country and heritage, regaled us with ever so many stories and anecdotes.

However, a quick look at 62N's website doesn't show any shore excursions, you may want to email them to ask.

https://www.62n.fo/en

Hi Prish, Thanks for the recommendation. I did check their web site and they have cruise ship tours listed by the date and which cruise ships are in Port. However for their 4 hour morning tours, they are pricing it at 1,995 danish krona which in USD equates to about $315/pp. Too expensive imo for a 4 hour tour. I did e-mail them to ask if they had any small group tours priced lower. The above price was for a private tour, min. 2 people. This is priced significantly higher then the cruise ship tours which are usually overpriced.

I will be interested to hear their reply.....

Sadly we missed the Faroes due to bad weather two years ago. Had an extra sea day, which was excellent fun in high seas.

In Kirkwall itself we only found mindnumbingly boring excursions offers by Cunard. On line research for independent tours showed identical offers. So we booked a car on line to drive ourselves. For GBP 40 for the day we DID not expect much, but we were given a latest model Range Rover. Loved it. Rental car guy gave us local information where to go and when to miss the busses with the cruise passengers. Great hour spent at Highland Park whiskey distillery. And a few lesser known ones...

Petrol to top up the car at the end of the day cost more than the rental..

Hi Prish, Thanks for the recommendation. I did check their web site and they have cruise ship tours listed by the date and which cruise ships are in Port. However for their 4 hour morning tours, they are pricing it at 1,995 danish krona which in USD equates to about $315/pp. Too expensive imo for a 4 hour tour. I did e-mail them to ask if they had any small group tours priced lower. The above price was for a private tour, min. 2 people. This is priced significantly higher then the cruise ship tours which are usually overpriced.

I will be interested to hear their reply.....

BPCruiser, that's crazy! We paid about $80-90/pp if I remember right, this was a full day tour and included lunch plus coffee and cookies at one of our mid-morning stops.

What are the folks from your RC doing, why don't you tray and set something up? This is what we did, though we all booked directly and paid 62N in advance. Am sure they have group tours too, just wait for them to get back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Faroe Islands are stunningly beautiful. Torshavn is pleasant, but if you have time to do a tour outside of town the scenery is amazing. We booked an excursion to Gjov in the North of the Islands. From memory the bus trip was around an hour each way.

In Kirkwall we hired a car. The islands are small, and the roads pretty empty so it's a great way to see the islands. I would highly recommend a trip to the neolithic village at Skara Brae. An amazing place, older than Stonehenge but much less busy!

In Kirkwall we had a complimentary shuttle to the tourist information. From there you can do the city on your own. I prebooked a distillery tour at Highland Park- highly recommanded for whisky fans. My husband really liked the tour.

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Forums mobile app