visiting mount vesuvius and Pompei from naples port

skippy26

Hi, I am doing a Mediterranean cruise (Symphony of the Seas) in July and we dock in Naples from 7am to 8pm. I want to visit Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius. Would I have enough time to do both and what is the best way to travel from the port to both locations?

I was thinking of visiting Pompeii first because once we dock from the cruise, the bus depot is located at Molo Immacolella, the pier just to the east of Molo Angioino the cruise port. I am hoping if a get a bus from here it will take me to the Porta Marina entrance to the ruins. I just need to figure out the bus times from the bus depot if anyone would know where I get this?

I am thinking if we could be at Pompeii by 8.30 approx. and spend approx. 3 hours that we could then get transport from Pompeii to Vesuvius. I would assume we would have to come back to Pompeii from Vesuvius to get transport back to the port but I am conscious of the time as we would need to be back at the port by 5.30pm approx. Would anyone know if this is the best way to do both Pompeii and Vesuvius without been under pressure to get back to the cruise port?

The problem with going to Pompei first is that there is I do not see public transport back from Vesuvio to Naples, we have to return to Pompeii and then from there back to Naples which could put pressure on us to be back for cruise. But it appears we have more transport options this way than visiting Vesuvius first and then Pompeii.

Ideally we would like to do Vesuvius first and then Pompeii but how easy is it to get to the train station instead of bus depot from the cruise port?

Additionally if we dock at 5am, how soon can we get off the ship to catch the first transportation?

Did anyone do this DIY trip as part of their cruise, any tips appreciated?

Get a copy of Rick Steves's book Med Cruise Ports. He give specific directions to get you places. We took the tram right outside the terminal in Naples to the train station and the train from there to Pompeii. He includes directions around the site.

This is probably one of the times when you would do better by booking a tour rather than trying to put together both on your own. There are several tour companies (probably can't name them here) which offer packages of Mt. Vesuvius, Pompei and a winery of something else thrown in. Probably close to $100 per - from Naples port. Trying to arrange it all on your own using public transport and taxis where necessary is possible, but tough - and likely almost as expensive.

Welcome to the forum!

As suggested, a tour might be your best option and the best place to find some suggestions is your Roll Call

If you are sailing July 15 out of Barcelona, this is the link

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2608150

It's only 3 pages long so shouldn't take too long to read through it. There you will meet fellow passengers and find information on private tours that are being arranged.

Last fall we (group of 6 adults) had a port day in Naples and arranged a tour of Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and Sorrento with APTours (https://www.aptours.it/). They were wonderful to work with and the private Pompeii guide was absolutely fantastic. They have a full day tour of Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius (https://www.sharedtoursinitaly.com/naples-port/pompeii-mt-vesuvius) and Pompeii, Mount Vesuvius and Herculaneum (https://www.aptours.it/Tour-Pompeii-Mt-Vesuvius-and-Herculaneum).

We did a tour doing exactly those 2 things.

We did Vesuvius in the morning then Pompeii which was good as we didn't want to go up the thing in the heat of the day. I am usually one to say go it alone but this was one where a tour worked better.

By the way, if you do end up looking at tours see if you can Herculaneum as well (or as an alternative to Pompeii). It is often noted as more of a historical marvel than Pompeii and often less busy.

We did a tour doing exactly those 2 things.

We did Vesuvius in the morning then Pompeii which was good as we didn't want to go up the thing in the heat of the day. I am usually one to say go it alone but this was one where a tour worked better.

By the way, if you do end up looking at tours see if you can Herculaneum as well (or as an alternative to Pompeii). It is often noted as more of a historical marvel than Pompeii and often less busy.

Good suggestion above. Been there, Done that.

If you have time after Pompei, take a quick look at charming Sorrento, very nearby

Lots of tours go fro m Napoli, to Pompeii, see Blue Grotto on the way to or way back ... at Capri.

I think you really need a tour guide at Pompei to get the best experience.

Amalfie drive is sooo, beautiful.

Edited by sail7seas