Free/Included Laundry

wcsdkqh

I'm surprised that Regent doesn't have a reasonable laundry package on offer. IMHO it would not only provide a more luxury experience for those of us that really don't want to spend our time on board in the laundry room but would also be an additional source of revenue for Regent. I'm a fan of the package that Seabourn offers, which is a flat rate of $50 for a bag of laundry. In the absence of included laundry and dry cleaning for upper suites, we'd certainly welcome a reasonable package.

Paying $50/bag is not a bad idea. Passengers that are Gold Seven Seas Society members already get one bag per week include so, for passengers that have yet to reach that milestone, paying a reasonable cost does not sound unreasonable. Regent could likely handle it without the need for additional resources. It is also a good way to prevent over-use of the benefit.

While I personally hope that Regent expands this experiment to include at least lower cost "laundry packages" for all, I also hope that Regent is sensitive to the situation of Platinum SS members who heave earned free laundry as one of their loyalty perks. This, I hope would be done by providing those members with additional perks of equal value. And we are not Platinum.

Rumor has it that if they go to free laundry for all that they will include free extra starch for those who have earned the upper levels of SSS.

Rumor has it that if they go to free laundry for all that they will include free extra starch for those who have earned the upper levels of SSS.

.....and they can put bleach in the laundry for the lower levels;p

Honestly - I don't see why they need to do this. Already laundry machines are free. Soap is free. Paying to get my washing/ironing done when travelling has never been an issue for me. I opt not to use the free washer/dryer and I send everything to get washed and ironed. I am on holiday! And it doesn't cost very much. I suppose on a 14 night cruise my laundry bill has been about $150 or far less... when I stay in hotels I pay for my laundry...

What is all this fuss about? If Regent includes "free" laundry for everyone then prices will go up a LOT: Probably 200% of the "real cost"... not great in my opinion.

Honestly - I don't see why they need to do this. Already laundry machines are free. Soap is free. Paying to get my washing/ironing done when travelling has never been an issue for me. I opt not to use the free washer/dryer and I send everything to get washed and ironed. I am on holiday! And it doesn't cost very much. I suppose on a 14 night cruise my laundry bill has been about $150 or far less... when I stay in hotels I pay for my laundry...

What is all this fuss about? If Regent includes "free" laundry for everyone then prices will go up a LOT: Probably 200% of the "real cost"... not great in my opinion.

Well said!

We have always done our laundry ourselves every other day, just as we do at home. Only once, on a Holland America ship where we had a top suite did we have free laundry by the steward. Either way is fine with me. On non-Med cruises on Regent who gets included laundry services (as opposed to self service)? This time we have a better cabin than usual because there was a three category upgrade.

Unfortunately only Regent Suite passengers get the benefit of free laundry while onboard. I'd love it if that benefit were extended to the named suites (Master, Grand, Explorer), but no such luck. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we would gladly forgo some of the other perks that come with a named suite (caviar set up, in suite cocktail party, dinner with an officer) in favor of free laundry. It would be great to be given that option!

Unfortunately only Regent Suite passengers get the benefit of free laundry while onboard. I'd love it if that benefit were extended to the named suites (Master, Grand, Explorer), but no such luck. As I've mentioned elsewhere, we would gladly forgo some of the other perks that come with a named suite (caviar set up, in suite cocktail party, dinner with an officer) in favor of free laundry. It would be great to be given that option!

I really do understand where you and most others are coming from. After all, who would say no to free laundry (or in the case of Titaniums - free private transfers to and from the ship)? It looks years for us to reach the level for included laundry and even longer to get included dry cleaning. Perhaps you can understand that waiting 10+ years for included laundry and another 3 years for included dry cleaning, it is frustrating to see it given away to everyone as it is with the current promotion.

After a few months of thinking about it, I think that reasonable packages could be offered by Regent (as discussed - maybe $50/bag). After all, when you spend the kind of money that the Regent that we all do on Regent cruises, what is another couple hundred dollars? Or, perhaps, for "named suites" there could be a package at a special price.

BTW, we really enjoy the caviar set-up and the party and would not like to see them go away. However, if Regent wants to remove some of the benefits that "named suites" receive and Gold, Platinum and Titanium guests receive, I hope that they replace it with benefits of equal value (could be $1,000 OBC to cover the costs of the Connoisseur Wine Lunch, some spa treatments, etc.

I agree, TC. Only 30 more days to get to Platinum and receive the only perk I really want-free laundry!

BTW, when Regent recently created the top two tiers, shore excursions discount was removed for Gold. Grrr.

I agree, TC. Only 30 more days to get to Platinum and receive the only perk I really want-free laundry!

BTW, when Regent recently created the top two tiers, shore excursions discount was removed for Gold. Grrr.

Welcome to loyalty programs. So much for corporate promises. The airline and hotel programs have managed to regularly devalue long term loyalty by changing program requirements. Having dealt with major devaluations of both Marriott and United's award programs, I can empathize with the annoyance of a Regent devaluation.

The problem is not that more people get laundry services, rather that Regent doesn't make up for the devaluation of long-term loyalty with new perks of equal or greater value that give a true reward for loyalty. The object of complaints should be management not the guests who get laundry benefits IMO.

Welcome to loyalty programs. So much for corporate promises. The airline and hotel programs have managed to regularly devalue long term loyalty by changing program requirements. Having dealt with major devaluations of both Marriott and United's award programs, I can empathize with the annoyance of a Regent devaluation.

The problem is not that more people get laundry services, rather that Regent doesn't make up for the devaluation of long-term loyalty with new perks of equal or greater value that give a true reward for loyalty. The object of complaints should be management not the guests who get laundry benefits IMO.

Thanks for this post. Not exactly adding perks, but Regent did offer additional onboard credit to those members of the loyalty program in addition to the laundry perk. I can only speak of my specific sailing. I know it’s not the same but it was something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for this post. Not exactly adding perks, but Regent did offer additional onboard credit to those members of the loyalty program in addition to the laundry perk. I can only speak of my specific sailing. I know it’s not the same but it was something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for sharing that information!

bissel: Hope that you have cruises planned to get you to the Platinum level. We enjoyed looking forward to the next levels of the Seven Seas Society. Now that we're Titanium and know that we'll never reach Diamond, we are satisfied where we are and appreciate the benefits very much.

We have never cruised with Regent before ( but have cruised other lines and accrued status to give us free laundry) but we have a cruise booked in January 2019 with lots of sea days !!!!! I would not like to have prices rise to facilitate included laundry for all and I appreciate long time Regent folks have paid handsomely for this privilege. If I choose not to spend time in the free laundry then I can choose to either pay to have it done onboard or bring it home to do. Considering the not cheap cost of Regent cruises it seems a wee bit daft to worry about the cost of the laundry.

I spoke to Jason recently on this, and he said that the free laundry in the Med was a test. IF the test was successful they would look to spread this out to the whole line. But IF they did this, they would add additional amenities to the current Seven Seas programs to replace this. People need to stop getting so worried about this issue. Yes you worked towards them by staying loyal to a line, but based on how customers are treated by any other loyalty program, we should expect that even Regent's can evolve.

I've been seeing that Silversea is offering free laundry, at least on higher level suites, so I think Regent is just trying to keep up with competition.

I'm sure the Seven Seas program has evolved from when people first started sailing, can any one go back and pull up what the original program offered?

I spoke to Jason recently on this, and he said that the free laundry in the Med was a test. IF the test was successful they would look to spread this out to the whole line. But IF they did this, they would add additional amenities to the current Seven Seas programs to replace this. People need to stop getting so worried about this issue. Yes you worked towards them by staying loyal to a line, but based on how customers are treated by any other loyalty program, we should expect that even Regent's can evolve.

I've been seeing that Silversea is offering free laundry, at least on higher level suites, so I think Regent is just trying to keep up with competition.

I'm sure the Seven Seas program has evolved from when people first started sailing, can any one go back and pull up what the original program offered?

Thank you for this information. Did Jason also tell you how much included laundry would increase fares? Just curious.

In terms of Silversea, they have had included laundry for years in Silver Suites and above, however, their loyalty program cannot touch Regent's. Also, Silversea does not have most the benefits that Regent does (which is just one of the reasons that we sail with Regent rather than Silversea).

So, the bottom line, In my opinion, is that there is nothing that Silversea has that Regent needs to copy in order to get more customers.

P.S. While I don't have a hard copy of the Seven Seas Society benefits over the years, from my recollection, there have been changes but no "major" takeaways. Back in the mid-2000's, Silver members received included internet. Then it was changed to Gold and above (but there was some grandfathering for passengers that became Gold before a certain date). Of course, now everyone has included internet (one on per suite unless you are Gold or above). A year or so ago Gold level members began to receive 1 free bag of laundry per week.

Rather than decreasing loyalty benefits, upper suites are now receiving much more than they were previously (but this not enough for some passengers).

Overall I feel that there has been positive changes in the loyalty program with a few small losses here and there. However, for some of us, giving away "free laundry" would be the biggest takeaway that we have ever seen.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you for this information. Did Jason also tell you how much included laundry would increase fares? Just curious.

In terms of Silversea, they have had included laundry for years in Silver Suites and above, however, their loyalty program cannot touch Regent's. Also, Silversea does not have most the benefits that Regent does (which is just one of the reasons that we sail with Regent rather than Silversea).

So, the bottom line, In my opinion, is that there is nothing that Silversea has that Regent needs to copy in order to get more customers.

I don't think even if Jason knew, he'd divulge that information on what the cost is. Price increases are always happening, no one can say it's directly because of laundry, it's a wide variety of reasons they choose to increase their costs (port fees, fuel, demand, etc). At this premium price point, even if Regent valued the laundry at $200 a week (I'm just throwing a number out), I don't think many passengers would be dissuaded from continuing to travel on the line.

As for your Silversea comment about Regent not needing to copy them, you need to remove yourself from being a long time Regent customer and look at it as a guest who is sailing for the first time and deciding between luxury lines. Everyone weighs benefits in a different way, which is why there are multiple successful luxury cruise lines.

Regent wouldn't be doing their job, if they didn't at least see if it's worth making this change based on what competition is offering. Just as the competition tests features that Regent first introduces.

We sail both Silversea and Regent.

In last five years more often than not we booked Silversea over Regent since after 100 days you earned Free laundry. Unlimited wifi is now standard on Silversea.

Now that we will earn free laundry on our next Regent cruise, Regent earned our booking for Myanmar vs. Silversea or for the first time on Seabourn

So, for us the benefits of the the Silversea or Regent loyalty program did provide an incentive to book.

Edited by WesW

Quite the contrary, I think Silverseas loyalty program beats Regent's program hands down.

After 100 nights (not 200 like Regent) you get free laundry.

After 100 nights (not 1000 like Regent) you get 5% off on all cruises.

After 250 nights (not 2000 like Regent) you get 10% off on all cruises.

After 350 nights (never on Regent) you get free seven day cruise.

After 500 nights (never on Regent) you get free 14 day cruise.

Seems to me that the Silversea perks are more valuable.

Marc

Just a peg point on the value of included laundry. On our recent 10-day Alaska repositioning cruise on Mariner, we got 2 bags of laundry, one for each week and partial week. (BTW, I thought I recalled from our last 24 day B2B cruise that the one bag per week was interpreted as only one for the 10-day 2nd leg, not 2 as they are now doing).

Anyway, we use this mostly for underwear and a few major pieces and the cost would have been $75 for one of the bags and $80 for the other. Had we had the unlimited laundry benefit (which we'll have starting next February), we likely would have had about $100 between us per week, so not a huge amount. Since raising cruise fares to incorporate unlimited free laundry would be paid by all (unless they go to a very complicated pricing scheme to account for SSS status), we'd be essentially paying more for benefits already earned.

Marc: actually you didn't list one of the most valuable benefits to us, the ship-to-shore phone time. With an elderly relative who relies heavily on us and always fears we'll sail off the edge of the earth, being able to talk to her daily is very important. When we go from 3 to 9 hours in February, she'll be getting even more detailed reports from us. And, yes, Skype is a low-cost alternative, but is sketchier due to the internet bandwidth.

Interesting post Portolan. We have included laundry (and dry cleaning) and would estimate that we spend $200/week in hot climates where you change your clothing more frequently than in colder climates. Agree that we would not want to pay even $100 additional for something that we have already earned. Also agree about the phone time. Additionally, we get (as Titanium) 25% off Regent Choice Excursions.

We are really not interested in a "free" cruise that would likely be in the lowest cabin/suite possible. Despite what Silversea customers feel about their benefits, it is Regent's current benefits that suit us.

Scott, very true about phone time; we do take advantage of that. And we also enjoy the discount on pre, post, and shore excursions. Regent benefits are good (even though many former benefits no longer exist) however I think Silversea benefits are a little more valuable.

Marc

Scott, very true about phone time; we do take advantage of that. And we also enjoy the discount on pre, post, and shore excursions. Regent benefits are good (even though many former benefits no longer exist) however I think Silversea benefits are a little more valuable.

Marc

Our you referring the pre,post and shore excursions discount for SSS members. You also get this discount if your in a named higher suite. So adding laundry makes it a good business plan for Regent. I agree with others the feel Regent must meet the needs of current cruisers, but must also meet the needs of new Regent cruisers. That's the only way you stay in business.

Pre-post excursions really have nothing to do with laundry and it is fine with me if they discount it to whomever as it does not affect us. However, included laundry could affect us:cool:

Gee! Didn't you mention excursions in your post #46---and phone calls has nothing to do with laundry, but! People keep saying Regent doesn't have a class thing and all Regent cruisers are treated the same. Of course that's not true if it "could affect us:cool:"---just saying.