Getting the third degree at Customs

LandlockedCruiser01

I already did two solo cruises, and each time, I found myself getting heavily screened at customs. The agents were being total jerks, asking me detailed questions about what I do for work, purpose of my travel, who I'm traveling with (were they being rhetorical?), purpose of some things I packed for my cruise, etc. During one of the cruises, I was even picked out for more detailed screening. It was a quick, but irritating experience, and when the agents found nothing, they begrudgingly sent me on my way.

I ran into two of my cruise friends after getting through Customs; we were waiting for our buses in the same area. They told me that it was because I was traveling alone. While that won't stop me from cruising solo again, the reason is quite unsettling. Compared to my experience with Border Patrol, the TSA agents at the airport were almost as nice to me as the Carnival crew members. If you believe the news articles, TSA is supposed to be really bad.

So on with my question: just how common is it for solo cruisers to get the third degree at Customs? Do they screened and questioned more thoroughly than couples and families? Has there been a history of people using cruise ships to smuggle drugs from countries like Jamaica? If you've had similar experiences or can suggest an answer, please go ahead. If it makes a difference, I'm male, age 29.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I know that there are lots of things that can cause an agent's "spidey sense" to tingle and have them ramp up their questioning. Yes, sometimes traveling solo to a place where many people only go in pairs/groups can be one of them. So can splitting from someone and taking separate lines (i.e. you enter the room chatting with someone then split up). So can making an unusual declaration (eg. coming back from a tourist spot with nothing to declare). Even though both may be innocent and sincere, a solo traveler who has been to DisneyWorld (typical family vacation spot) is unusual whereas a solo traveler who's been to London (a common business trip spot) is not.

That's part of their job - to look for unusual behaviours and use their training and experience to look deeper into those places and people. I don't at all begrudge them doing their job.

I already did two solo cruises, and each time, I found myself getting heavily screened at customs. The agents were being total jerks, asking me detailed questions about what I do for work, purpose of my travel, who I'm traveling with (were they being rhetorical?), purpose of some things I packed for my cruise, etc. During one of the cruises, I was even picked out for more detailed screening. It was a quick, but irritating experience, and when the agents found nothing, they begrudgingly sent me on my way.

I ran into two of my cruise friends after getting through Customs; we were waiting for our buses in the same area. They told me that it was because I was traveling alone. While that won't stop me from cruising solo again, the reason is quite unsettling. Compared to my experience with Border Patrol, the TSA agents at the airport were almost as nice to me as the Carnival crew members. If you believe the news articles, TSA is supposed to be really bad.

So on with my question: just how common is it for solo cruisers to get the third degree at Customs? Do they screened and questioned more thoroughly than couples and families? Has there been a history of people using cruise ships to smuggle drugs from countries like Jamaica? If you've had similar experiences or can suggest an answer, please go ahead. If it makes a difference, I'm male, age 29.

I've travelled alone for many years and used to get questioned more than other folks -but it was much more intense when I was coming back from a Caribbean cruise or land trip then when I returned from Europe. I had my bag searched coming back from land trips to the Bahamas and Cancun, in fact. But once I hit my 40s, they started to just ask a couple of questions and send me through like everyone else

So I think its that you are relatively young and coming from the Caribbean alone and they are doublechecking that you aren't involved in drugrunning.

Just my thoughts - I don't have any evidence to back it up except that like I said, they don't bother with me anymore.

I suspected it was about drugs, even though the only thing I had on me was ibuprofen for hangovers. Especially considering that I was screened more heavily after the cruise to Freeport and Nassau than after the cruise to Key West and Cozumel. I read stories on here about people being offered drugs in Bahamas. So there's gotta be history of drugrunning via cruise ships, if Border Patrol felt the need to do so much screening.

I suppose cruising solo doesn't have that much to do with it. I'm sure I'd get screened equally heavily if I went with a male friend my age. But the positives of solo cruising far outweigh the third degree at Customs. The friendly atmosphere and getting away are so worth it. I can only shudder at the thought of how BP would screen me if I took a cruise that stops in Jamaica, but luckily (I suppose), Jamaica doesn't appeal to me.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

It hasn't happened to me on cruises, it's happened to me in airports clearing customs. I took a small plane once from Seattle to British Columbia and when landing, the other people were quickly cleared through while I was told to "sit down". The woman agent looked at me with a frown. I answered a few questions and she let me pass....but as a single woman traveling alone, I am used to all sorts of suspcious looks. It's the state of the world, I'm afraid. Oh, and I'm as white bread looking a person as you can get!

In more than 35 solo cruises, I've never had a problem with Customs. Now air travel, that's another thing. The guys at LAX and ORD were downright nasty. Maybe it was because of the countries I traveled to on the 30 day land tours (Nepal, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand), or maybe because I was solo, but those agents were a huge pain. I did notice though that they were also harassing couples, so I guess it could be because of where we had been.

I've experienced the same - but only ever from US Border Agency (or whatever they call it).

Where ya goin'? - Fort Lauderdale

Who ya travelling with? - No one

Purpose of ya visit? - Joining a cruise

On yar own?????? - (My reply but remained unspoken) None of your bl**dy business!!!!!!

Edited by canny_cruiser

Returning to Miami from a cruise that called a Falmouth, Jamaica and at Grand Cayman, I was asked "Why are you traveling alone?" followed by several questions about my occupation and employer. I found this unusual, especially the first queson, but didn't make the connection to the specific ports of call until I read this thread.

Interesting post. I have never cruised solo (but planning to next year, which is why I am on this board today), but just wanted to share my experience. I traveled to Guatemala solo, a land trip, not a cruise. Customs did not bat an eye in either Guatemala or upon my return to the US. They asked me the same usual questions that they have in the past when I'm traveling with my husband. I'm a 40 something woman, but I would think cruising solo would be far less suspicious than flying to Guatemala solo.

I've never been asked anything. I even put down 3 cartons of cigs and don't have a problem.

This reminds me of an incident that's funny now but not when it happened. I was with my kids in London and when we went through customs the guy asked my son "So you know this lady?" My son looked at me and said "No,I've never seen here before in my life." I was flabbergasted! He was 8! How did he come up with that? He's a clone so when the guy looked at me and then at my son he laughed and we were cleared. I laugh now but it wasn't funny then!

Yes, I've encountered similar treatment when traveling alone.

In the past couple of years I've re-discovered the joys of traveling by car in the US. No TSA or border patrols to deal with! OK, sure, there are the California fruit police, but I've never felt like I've been "profiled" by them. :-)

that question, "you traveling alone"?:rolleyes:.......

Come to think of it, that's what prompted the agent to secondary-screen me. Once I told the agent I was in a cabin by myself, he waved over his colleague, and the rest was just a nasty experience. Once they searched my bag and found nothing, they suddenly turned civil and even offered to help repack my bag. I politely declined.

I've gone thru customers as a solo cruiser five times and never once had an issue. One thing to note a person could appear to be traveling solo but with a group but when going thru customs and their declaration paper its only going to be about them since they are not family. So I'm really not sure how a customs person would really know a person was solely by themselves unless the traveler told them.

On Thursday I just went thru here in Tampa and the customs agent was actually really nice as I was just going up to him this porter was kinda yelling at me because I was in the porter lane, but the customs officer waved me to him as he didn't have anyone there at that time. He said I bet you'll be glad when your not getting yelled at anymore. I said yes thats for sure.:) He said, we'll I'm not going to yell at you. Took my form, looked at my passport and said you're all set, have a great day.

I am also a younger male (28). I Sailed solo on the Mariner of the seas out of Galveston last month and after hearing all the horror stories about customs in Galveston I was totally dreading having to deal with it. I was on the Roatan route and rumor is that the sailings that stop in Honduras normally have a harder time getting through customs due to "drug problems in Honduras". I was fully expecting to get the 3rd degree because I was "by myself", and didn't really declare anything. But to my surprise, I walked up to the agent, handed him my declarations form and passport, he glanced at it for just a few seconds then handed it back and said "you're all set". Probably the easiest time I have ever had getting through customs.

Sort of depends where and when. I've traveled a lot over the years and always as a single. When I was 69 Customs guy asked where I worked. Told him I was retired so he asked where I had worked. My undetailed answer was met with a frown but he waved me on.

I just got off a solo cruise about a week ago and had no problem getting through customs (I'm also a 29 year old male). I think the guy saw my shield in my wallet, so that might have helped.

However, when flying back to New York from Europe a few years ago, I got pulled into secondary screening in immigration. Apparently there's someone else with my same name and birthday that's wanted for something. We have different middle names and obviously different social security numbers, so it was cleared up in about 15 minutes.

I just got off a solo cruise about a week ago and had no problem getting through customs (I'm also a 29 year old male). I think the guy saw my shield in my wallet, so that might have helped.

However, when flying back to New York from Europe a few years ago, I got pulled into secondary screening in immigration. Apparently there's someone else with my same name and birthday that's wanted for something. We have different middle names and obviously different social security numbers, so it was cleared up in about 15 minutes.

Are you one of our proud men in blue then? I see you are from NYC....

Thank you for your service:)

I am also a younger male (28). I Sailed solo on the Mariner of the seas out of Galveston last month and after hearing all the horror stories about customs in Galveston I was totally dreading having to deal with it. I was on the Roatan route and rumor is that the sailings that stop in Honduras normally have a harder time getting through customs due to "drug problems in Honduras". I was fully expecting to get the 3rd degree because I was "by myself", and didn't really declare anything. But to my surprise, I walked up to the agent, handed him my declarations form and passport, he glanced at it for just a few seconds then handed it back and said "you're all set". Probably the easiest time I have ever had getting through customs.

I had the same concern getting off the Mariner out of Galveston in Feb. I am 49 but traveling solo. I expected more of a problem going through customs since I was traveling alone and one of the stops was Roatan. They looked at my passport and declaration form and sent me on my way.

Going to Vancouver CA, customs questioned me to no end it seems. The agent asked me a bunch of questions....Why are you here? How long are you going to be here? (typical questions) but then he asked me where do I work and do you have your work ID with you? I said no and he asked why? and I said, because I'm on vacation why bring it with me... he then summoned another agent over and he looked over my custom forms. I noticed the lines were thinning out and I was getting annoyed and nervous at the same time. He finally let me go. Young and solo perhaps, I don't know.

With the latest bombing in Boston, going through customs is going to be a real pain...

: just how common is it for solo cruisers to get the third degree at Customs?

I haven't noticed it so much for cruising solo but definately feel I get the third degree when traveling to Central America alone, which I do about 3 times a year. My backpack is always searched either coming or going. When leaving Costa Rica I got pulled aside at the gate (after the initial TSA security checkpoint) before I boarded the plane and they went thru my back pack. Last time I left Mexico I was pulled aside at the gate for the white cloth swab, they went thru every single pocket in my backpack and purse, and ran the cloth thru the 'drug detector' after each pocket!

I can only assume this happens to me because I'm traveling solo. It would be interesting to hear from someone that works for border patrol. I don't feel like I look like a drug smuggler but then, what does a drug smuggler look like?? Actually a drug smuggler would probably dressed nicer than me, since I'm usually wearing old flip flops and t-shirts. :confused:

I haven't noticed it so much for cruising solo but definately feel I get the third degree when traveling to Central America alone, which I do about 3 times a year. My backpack is always searched either coming or going. When leaving Costa Rica I got pulled aside at the gate (after the initial TSA security checkpoint) before I boarded the plane and they went thru my back pack. Last time I left Mexico I was pulled aside at the gate for the white cloth swab, they went thru every single pocket in my backpack and purse, and ran the cloth thru the 'drug detector' after each pocket!

I can only assume this happens to me because I'm traveling solo. It would be interesting to hear from someone that works for border patrol. I don't feel like I look like a drug smuggler but then, what does a drug smuggler look like?? Actually a drug smuggler would probably dressed nicer than me, since I'm usually wearing old flip flops and t-shirts. :confused:

:). Not sure how they profile in C.A, but apparently, I'm not what they are looking for. Mid-40's, dressed as boring and white-bread as it comes. Usually just a big purse for carry-on with my iPad, phone, chocolate, and a sweater stuffed in it. The first time I came to Guatemala alone, the iPad had just come out. One of their TSA type people at the security scanner asked what that was in the plastic bin...(I had just taken the iPad out of my purse, because at that time they were treating them like laptops, and you had to take them out to go through the scanner alone. Then he said, "Is that an iPad?" Oh boy, I thought I was in trouble for something. Then his eyes lit up with a big smile, and he said, can I see it? After it came out from the scanner, I got it out of the bin and brought it to him behind the line and let him play with it for a few minutes with one of his security friends. (They both looked about 12 to me)

I showed them a few neat things it could do, and that was it. Customs didn't say much at all to me. My daughter was in Spanish school and I was coming to visit her. I guess I looked too middle class career/wife/mom to be dangerous! Hey, getting old and boring has its advantages!

Very interesting post as I had a similar experience on my cruise in March. I have traveled solo to Peru and several times a year to the Dominican Republic. At no time was I ever questioned here or abroad as much as I was questioned when I returned from the cruise. Here's what he asked.

1. Who are you traveling with?

2. What do you mean you are traveling alone?

3. Do you know anyone on the ship?

4. You mean you came on this cruise by youserlf?

5. Did you meet anyone on the ship?

6. What do you do for work?

7. Where do you live?

Not that the agent had a bad attitude but compared to my experiences at MIA, this guy was being a jerk. At MIA they are very friendly compared to this guy.

Very interesting post as I had a similar experience on my cruise in March. I have traveled solo to Peru and several times a year to the Dominican Republic. At no time was I ever questioned here or abroad as much as I was questioned when I returned from the cruise. Here's what he asked.

7. Where do you live?

Not that the agent had a bad attitude but compared to my experiences at MIA, this guy was being a jerk. At MIA they are very friendly compared to this guy.

Boy, you did get the 3rd degree:eek:....I haven't been through those questions

but have been asked if I am traveling alone.

You would think in 2013 folks would realize there are those of us

who just choose to travel alone....ya think?:rolleyes:....I guess not.

Edited by Lois R

7. Where do you live?

I have had almost the identical experience more than once. Not always rude per se on theTSA's part, but definitely a "you really expect me to believe you traveled by yourself?" attitude. The vibe always seems to be you must be up to something. Pulled out of line for more questions, luggage searched etc. Very much more scrutiny than I see couples and families receiving. Had thought once I hit my forties it may die down but so far not yet. Maybe it's because I look younger? Ha ha!!