Obstructed View Balcony

Hello,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic. We have been on two large ship cruises - over twenty years ago. We want to book a balcony room for our first Caribbean Cruise and have read about "Obstructed View Balconies".

Questions: How do we avoid that type of balcony. Also, What are the pros and cons for making reservations on the "discount" sites, or going direct with a cruise line. We're seeing a dollar difference in price.

Thanks in advance for information.

Hello,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic.

Welcome to Cruise Critic

We have been on two large ship cruises - over twenty years ago. We want to book a balcony room for our first Caribbean Cruise and have read about "Obstructed View Balconies".

Questions: How do we avoid that type of balcony.

Depends on the ship, but most obstructions are due to the lifeboats. So check on deck plans to see where the lifeboats are and make sure to get a balcony at least a couple of decks above them.

I use cruisedeckplans.com as a resource.

Also, What are the pros and cons for making reservations on the "discount" sites, or going direct with a cruise line. We're seeing a dollar difference in price.

All travel agents can get you the same or lower price or additional OBC or other bonuses compared to booking directly with a cruise line. But be careful to check on whether or not they have additional fees for changes or cancellations.

We are not allowed to recommend specific TA's on this website, but are allowed to note the type of TA. I use a "big box" warehouse store's travel division and receive about 8% back on my cruise bookings in the form of a store gift card - which to me is the same as cash since I would be purchasing items there anyway. And they have no other fees. Many fellow CC members say that they use large online TAs that offer 7% to 11% back.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Obstructed view balconies vary greatly. Some are hardly obstructed at all, others are almost completely blocked, often by the life boats, sometimes other factors or because looking straight down there is a roof or something similar blocking the view down to the water.

We've had obstructed view balconies a couple of times, but the obstruction was minimal. They are usually cheaper, but you need to do some research to see if you can live with the obstruction. There are websites that give details about cabins, and you can also research them here on Cruise Critic.

Although we sometimes book directly with the cruise line we usually use a travel agent for the (often) lower price and added perks. Just by googling you can find many of the big ones, or talk to people who have a great agent they will recommend.

I won't book with anyone who charges fees of any kind. You may have to do some looking and try several agents until you find the right 'fit'. We have and do use the 'big' travel agencies before.

There is also a site that will let you enter a certain cruise and then different agents will give you quotes. I'm not sure if we can mention it or not, but you can google to find someplace that has price competition.

We use the line's own page to see pictures of the obstruction is, so perhaps the line you've chosen has a similar page? If there's a big difference in price, and the obstruction is just a pipe, or the very top of a lifeboat, we go for it!

Yes..it totally depends on the ship and the CABIN #.....some obstructions do obstruct....many don't at all. Like a ladder that is visible, but you can see through! It's not really what I consider an "obstruction". Sometimes, there are lifeboats below you....but your outward view is totally open.....some lines consider that "obstructed".

We need more info to help with your decision!

Your question asked how to avoid those types of balcony. You just don't choose a obstructed view category. Even if you choose a guarantee cabin you have to ask for a obstructed view discount cabin. Make sure your TA is not giving you a great price by giving you a obstructed view cabin. Good sales coming up for Memorial day. Book with the cruise line and get a perk or two or look for a online TA offering free pre paid gratuities, specialty dining or tossing in free insurance.

Hello,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic. We have been on two large ship cruises - over twenty years ago. We want to book a balcony room for our first Caribbean Cruise and have read about "Obstructed View Balconies".

Questions: How do we avoid that type of balcony. Also, What are the pros and cons for making reservations on the "discount" sites, or going direct with a cruise line. We're seeing a dollar difference in price.

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

It is not difficult to avoid booking a balcony with an obstructed view. First, do not book a balcony with a "guarantee" rate. That is when they are offering you a certain type of cabin or better, the guarantee is for the price but not for the location. With this type of booking rate you can possibly get an upgrade but you could also get the lowest category of your cabin type. In this case, a balcony with an obstructed view.

When booking online, when selecting your cabin it will tell you if you are selecting a cabin with an obstructed view. It will also tell you if you are going to choose a cabin that has a partially obstructed view. You will see in the pricing...the "guarantee" rate will typically be cheaper than the other categories, the obstructed and partially obstructed cabins will be just a little more expensive. If you are booking with a TA, just tell them you don't want an obstructed view. Very easy.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

We do not have a problem with an obstructed balcony depending on the ship. You really need to take a good look at the ships layout on the cruise line website.

We had one a few cruises ago on Celebrity. Was it obstructed. Well, according to the description it was. The only obstruction was the lifeboat whose top was located just below the bottom of our balcony. The only thing that it obstructed was the view directly down to the water. Without doing this, we would never have realized that it was an obstructed view balcony.

Others, it appears, hand down in front of the balcony. In our case it was hanging over the 5th or 6th floor promenade.

We sail Celebrity Eclipse cabin 6264 CAT 2C partially obstructed by lifeboats. You can't see down to the sea, but to the horizon is clear. Look at the deck plans to identify the cabin CAT. Here is a picture of our veranda.

33381980_2087128114863315_5693321133323976704_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEtrcq1yDJ5-IV3xf7VBG9WJYsr3uyYraLizfea1XyZdJI0irppc6X3VyiQZrNxzKsOL5gKyGIdVijvvKkaQJ-wR93BMX139iMfrXOGnA6GDw&oh=03393b611ef3aad020332bf5a7f8463e&oe=5B77D318

33383706_2087129004863226_8358549946256850944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHvIYDWTC6sY869Ur1r47tJkUqVOyip-tfWUSUKuMMcDxz9tS5hm7yz-lLUvLWYQc7eo4x3z_3fgL1wAZgCSMoDd4JtoFrrsZ9z02H-xVfcmw&oh=2023090ed7aa5001f9c809ed2b38e934&oe=5B908811

Cabin 6208 1E on ovation of the seas anyone know how obstructed the view is please

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Forums mobile app

The top of the lifeboat will be about 2 feet above the level of your balcony floor. This is also a connecting cabin. Unless you want a connecting cabin it would be wise to relocate. Not much more for a 4d in front of forward elevators and widest part of ship.