New Ship

bee-ess

Any chance they’d reuse Canberra? Probably not. She was the most famous P&O liner in the later half of the 20th century, but I don’t think P&O are much about tradition these days.

Then again, maybe Victoria?

Edited by Fairsky84

Any chance they’d reuse Canberra? Probably not. She was the most famous P&O liner in the later half of the 20th century, but I don’t think P&O are much about tradition these days.

Then again, maybe Victoria?

Doubt it when Cunard have Queen Victoria. Too confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think they've booked Meghan; waited for the Queen's announcement and are breaking with tradition... it's the Duchess of Sussex! :D

Shame that the Duchess of Cambirdge is the Godmother of the Royal Princess, it'd been nice to have Megan and Catherine for both new P&O ships.

I thought they'd have gone for Canberra for Britannia - especially when they announces she was having two funnels, but I was wrong.

I wouldn't mind them using the old name again, although fans of the old Canberra may be aghast at her new namesake.

And what of her sister (2022)? Should she have a complimentary name?

I think they've booked Meghan; waited for the Queen's announcement and are breaking with tradition... it's the Duchess of Sussex! :D

I wondered that too that the reason for the delay in naming the ship (which had been due to be announced in April)is because of the royal wedding with Meghan being Godmother.Many rumours but most popular seem to be Olympia, Iona or Athena as the name

Shame that the Duchess of Cambirdge is the Godmother of the Royal Princess, it'd been nice to have Megan and Catherine for both new P&O ships.

I thought they'd have gone for Canberra for Britannia - especially when they announces she was having two funnels, but I was wrong.

I wouldn't mind them using the old name again, although fans of the old Canberra may be aghast at her new namesake.

And what of her sister (2022)? Should she have a complimentary name?

Simples... two new ships called Duchess of Sussex and Duchess of Cambridge! ;p

Athena is already a cruise ship, currently owned by Phoenix Raisen. We sailed on her some years ago. She was built in 1939 as the Stockholm. Why do people think Olympia, seems an odd name to me. A mountain in Greece? Ariadne?

What to expect tomorrow.... more than just a name?

a) a name

b) a launch month (March 2020 would seem favourite)

c) an on-sale date (expect the new ship to go on sale earlier than September when the rest of Summer 2020 drops).

Is it usual for new ships to go on sale prior to a normal season release? I can't recall what happened when Britannia was released.

Athena is already a cruise ship, currently owned by Phoenix Raisen. We sailed on her some years ago. She was built in 1939 as the Stockholm. Why do people think Olympia, seems an odd name to me. A mountain in Greece? Ariadne?

That would be Mount Olympus, Olympia is where the ancient Olympic games originated. Its a great place to visit with a good guide.

I think a lot of people have suggested Olympia because 2020 is an Olympic year