Question-Can I depart a US port, change cruises in Canada, return to another US port?

MmyKnits

I recall that there are restrictions on US passengers departing from one US port and returning to a different US port ... I'm wondering how this would apply to a potential itinerary I am considering.

I'd like to book two short cruises back-to-back ... a 2-night cruise from Seattle to Vancouver, then a 3-night cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco. The first cruise arrives in Vancouver the same day the second departs from Vancouver, but they are on different cruise lines. Would that be legal?

If not, would a trip on the same cruise line, but different ships with an overnight stay in Vancouver be legal?

I'm not trying to skate around the law -- I want to do this legally! Just trying to figure out what legal options are available to me on this potential trip.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the trips on two different cruise lines would be legal, as would the two trips on the same cruise line but on two different ships with the overnight stay in Canada. Even without the overnight stay using two different ships technically satisfies the law, but it's conceivable that the cruise line might try to prevent you from booking that version out of an abundance of caution.

FYI, the law that controls these situations is the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

FYI, the law that controls these situations is the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

Thank you! I was having trouble getting the information via my online searches, because I didn't know the name of the law.

I recall that there are restrictions on US passengers departing from one US port and returning to a different US port ... I'm wondering how this would apply to a potential itinerary I am considering.

I'd like to book two short cruises back-to-back ... a 2-night cruise from Seattle to Vancouver, then a 3-night cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco. The first cruise arrives in Vancouver the same day the second departs from Vancouver, but they are on different cruise lines. Would that be legal?

If not, would a trip on the same cruise line, but different ships with an overnight stay in Vancouver be legal?

I'm not trying to skate around the law -- I want to do this legally! Just trying to figure out what legal options are available to me on this potential trip.

Thanks for your help!

Your perfectly legal. Even if stayed with the same company but changed ships .You still would be legal .

You are totally legal and I speak from personal experience. We did a one night from Seattle to Vancouver, got off the ship dropped off our luggage and ultimately boarded a different ship to cruise from Vancouver to SF. We were actually both on different Princess ships. Have fun.