Formal nights - suit and tie? Tux?

amandaepperson21

First time cruising Princess this July. Would a black suit and tie be too formal on formal night? Tuxedo? Long evening gown? Maybe in one of the specialty restaurants?

I have read the dress code, but I know the dress code on cruise lines doesn't always align with what people actually wear onboard.

My husband and I enjoy dressing up on formal nights but don't want to look over dressed.

Thanks!

You will see everything from tux and formal gowns to dockers and sports shirts. It is really up to you, and nothing will be out of place. The dress code in the specialty restaurants is "cruise casual" every night, so you may well be the only people in formal attire there. So what? If you enjoy dressing up, go for it.

Very few men wear tuxes any more, but my husband always does [emoji4] He always gets compliments on how nice he looks... He takes the tux and a different tie for each formal night. He feels more comfortable doing that than taking two jackets. Some men don’t wear a jacket, but my husband enjoys getting all decked out. It’s really whatever you feel comfortable doing/wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There will be Tuxes but they will be in the minority. Most common for men will be a nice suit and tie but you will see sport coats as well as some with just a nice shirt and tie or a coat with no tie. Ladies will have long gowns, cocktail dresses and fancy pant outfits. So lots of options. Only the MDR is technically formal, specialty restaurants remain smart casual and the buffet is its usual attire.

The only thing I have found to be true on the Main Line Cruise companies is whatever the dress code is it seems not to be followed. I wear a suit my wife a formal dress, but we have seen everything from tuxes to t-shirts. A lot depends upon were the cruise is and what type of passengers are on board. And while the lines how codes they do not for the most part want to confront guests. So if a guest walks in wrong dress code and they say something and the guest still goes to the table nothing seems to happen.

Myself I really wish the lines would set a dress code and follow that code. I believe it is a insult to the guest that follow the code not to enforce the code.

First time cruising Princess this July. Would a black suit and tie be too formal on formal night? Tuxedo? Long evening gown? Maybe in one of the specialty restaurants?

I have read the dress code, but I know the dress code on cruise lines doesn't always align with what people actually wear onboard.

My husband and I enjoy dressing up on formal nights but don't want to look over dressed.

Thanks!

You will be fine.

You will not be over dressed. I always wear an evening gown and my husband wears a dinner jacket with a dress shirt and black trousers. There's nothing like formal night on a cruise ship to remind a couple of romance.

Another vote for go for it and dress up.

Hubby always wears a tux and bow tie and I like to wear a long dress.

For us we don't get many chances to dress up, apart from Christmas so we love the opportunity to when on holiday.

I always say the level of numbers who dress up depends on the embarkation country and the mix of nationalities on board.

We Brits do like to dress up :D

Dress up. I think it's part of what makes cruising - cruising. I was on the Caribbean Princess last week. A few tuxes, many in suits, and the rest all over the spectrum.

Thanks!

The percentage dressed will also be impacted by your itinerary. European cruises will see a higher number of folks dressed up than an Alaska or Caribbean cruise. I have found this to be especially true when there his a higher percentage of European cruisers on board.

Dress up and have a great time.

We always dress up in our tuxes and dinner jackets. It is nice to see everyone look so nice. Thank goodness for Princess and Celebrity.

This dress down look is for the birds. Don't even let me start about the dress code or lack thereof on NCL. We went only once never to be discussed in our home again.

Go for the Tux and Gown... You will look great!!!:D

Thanks!

Speciality restaurants are 'smart casual' every night.

Many people book for formal night to avoid taking formal wear.

If wearing formal dress, I would suggest dining in MDR..... You will see all sorts around the ship during the evening.

No need to go to specialty restaurants or the buffet on formal nights.

I agree... We make reservations in a Specialty Restaurant on the off nights - usually 1 per week of a cruise - never on formal nights, but there are people who don't like to dress and they like the buffet on formal nights. :D

Thanks!

Since you enjoy getting dressed up there's no reason not to. Bring anything & everything you think you'll need & you won't be caught short for the special occasion.

We always dress up in our tuxes and dinner jackets. It is nice to see everyone look so nice. Thank goodness for Princess and a Celebrity. Go for the Tux and Gown... You will look great!!!:D

Unfortunately Celebrity has given up on formal nights, replacing them by 'Chic' nights, which in essence means no difference from other nights.

Love the chance on Princess and the occasional weekend cruise on P&O to dress up on formal nights 👍.