What do you guys think about a blog about getting in shape for a cruise?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Lose Before You Cruise
A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:16 AM.
8 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Heres the link to my introduction post.
fitforcruise.blogspot.com

Right now its no help. It just gives you an idea of what the blog will be about. I'm looking for thoughts before I go into it full force.
So whats your opinion on this? Would you read it? Are there too blogs that are similar?
I'll take any help that I can get
9,056 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
My point of view is that one should not try to get in shape or lose weight for specific events such as a cruise, wedding, class reunion and so on. My philosophy is that one should get in shape and stay in shape as a lifetime objective.

Getting in shape for just a special event seems to imply that once the event is over, one will resume former habits resulting of a cycling in and out of being in shape and losing weight a few times a year for the big events life brings our way. Over the years it will become harder and harder to get in the kind of shape and weight one desires for big events.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"MOTHER, MOTHER OCEAN, I HAVE HEARD YOU CALL..."
Jimmy Buffet
8 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by Gangway Style
My point of view is that one should not try to get in shape or lose weight for specific events such as a cruise, wedding, class reunion and so on. My philosophy is that one should get in shape and stay in shape as a lifetime objective.

Getting in shape for just a special event seems to imply that once the event is over, one will resume former habits resulting of a cycling in and out of being in shape and losing weight a few times a year for the big events life brings our way. Over the years it will become harder and harder to get in the kind of shape and weight one desires for big events.
Good point! But I try to imply that cruising is simply a motivating force to help you get started on your fitness journey. Because once you get get into a healthy routine it'll be hard to quit. I'll be sure to mention this in my future post. Thanks for your input!
Europe
731 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
I'm an established blogger and will tell you that it's very difficult to write a successful blog. For one, I can see that you're hosting it on blogspot, which will kill your chances for SEO. Google actually penalizes sites for not being self-hosted. Also, what are your credentials? There are tons of weightloss blogs written by certified nutritionists, trainers, and people who have lost a ton of weight and kept it off. What's your angle going to be?

If it's something you enjoy, then, by all means, do it. But running a successful blog is practically a fulltime job.

I agree, I lost 40+ lbs. 17 years ago because I was tired of being fat and the lifestyle changes I made to accomplish the loss have allowed me to maintain it. I'll never understand the concept of the <insert event here> diet. If you're dieting, you clearly want to lose weight, so why limit yourself to a temporary loss?
cruising.cockroach {at} gmail hotmail and yahoo
1,615 Posts
Joined May 2012
I should have started a blog about this.

I've never been a heavy person (at my heaviest, 15 lbs under the current U.S. average for my height) but I have inadvertently and somewhat unintentionally taken a few steps to making maintaining my weight quite easy, and gotten rid of a small paunch..

I've developed strong core (first doing crunches, now planks of 60 seconds or more) which really burns fat. I'm moderately active (walk ~4 km or more in a day) and do strap workouts every 2nd/3rd day and push ups and squats daily. Nothing taking up more than 10-15 minutes (aside from breaks between sets) of activity other than the walking. Around the house and often outside, I am underdressed (I walk in jogging shorts until the temp is down to ~2-4C) so I shiver a bit (helps develop/convert to metabolically-active brown fat instead of having metabolically-inactive white fat). My body is now toned from this.

I eat well - and don't believe fat make you fat - , but watch sugar, and try to avoid added sugar in anything (I read nutritional labels), stay away from cheap wines, hardly ever drink beer, and since I ran out of duty-free rum, no mixer drinks and no pop/soft drinks. Very little processed food too. I d eat carbs, protein, and fat (love full-fat yogurt, no sugar). We make everything we eat pretty much from raw/canned ingredients. My snack of choice the past few weeks has been Iranian dates.

Upcoming cruise in 3 months and I am confident enough to wear Speedos now (and have for the past 2 years). Yes, I do get eyed by women my age (mid 50s) or even younger.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Upcoming Sep 2017 Celebrity Millennium Vancouver-Yokohama

May 2017 MS Chi-Cheemaun Tobermory - South Baymouth
Mar 2016 Star Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Mar 2016 CMA CGM Libra HongKong - Long Beach
Jan 2016 RV Yandabo Bagan-Mandalay

Nov 2015 Tirrenia Bithia Janas Arbatax - Civitavecchia
Oct 2015 Saremar Ichnusa Bonifacio-Santa Teresa de Gallura
Oct 2015 Corsica Ferries Corsica Victoria Savona - Bastia
Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam Civitavecchia-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel-Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern
Thomson Ithaca Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976
cruising.cockroach {at} gmail hotmail and yahoo
1,615 Posts
Joined May 2012
Here is my blog (for the middle aged man).
  • middleagedfitnessroutine.blogspot.com

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Using cruise lines as a cheap means of comfortable if not speedy intercontinental travel....

Upcoming Sep 2017 Celebrity Millennium Vancouver-Yokohama

May 2017 MS Chi-Cheemaun Tobermory - South Baymouth
Mar 2016 Star Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Mar 2016 CMA CGM Libra HongKong - Long Beach
Jan 2016 RV Yandabo Bagan-Mandalay

Nov 2015 Tirrenia Bithia Janas Arbatax - Civitavecchia
Oct 2015 Saremar Ichnusa Bonifacio-Santa Teresa de Gallura
Oct 2015 Corsica Ferries Corsica Victoria Savona - Bastia
Oct 2014 HAL Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso
Mar 2014 Corsica Ferries Mega Express 3 Toulon-Ajaccio & Bastia-Nice
Oct. 2012 HAL Prinsendam Civitavecchia-Fort Lauderdale
April 2012 Island Princess San Pedro-Vancouver
Kasr Ibrim Abu Simbel-Aswan Feb. 2007

Way, way back....
P&O Cathay between Singapore and Hong Kong and back, March 1968 + August 1969
Koeln-Dusseldorfer Line Rotterdam - Bern
Thomson Ithaca Tanger to Brindisi April 1974
Chandris Bruge-Norway-Tilbury August 1974
Chandris Southampton - Canary Islands + Madeira - Southampton August 1976
5,989 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by shampton129
Heres the link to my introduction post.
fitforcruise.blogspot.com

Right now its no help. It just gives you an idea of what the blog will be about. I'm looking for thoughts before I go into it full force.
So whats your opinion on this? Would you read it? Are there too blogs that are similar?
I'll take any help that I can get
I think focusing on cruises is too specific. You'd attract a wider audience if you called it FitForVaca or BeachFit.

While I don't disagree with your statement, the reality is that many people DO diet just for one big event: Wedding, reunion, cruise, whatever.
Florida
2,493 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by MrsPete
I think focusing on cruises is too specific. You'd attract a wider audience if you called it FitForVaca or

I agree. (Accidentally erased too much on the quote)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Wayfairers
12/06 RC Navigator of the Seas - 7d Eastern Caribbean
01/08 HAL Ryndam - 30d Hawaii/South Pacific
03/08 Carnival Spirit - 7d Mexican Riviera
06/08 Princess Sapphire - 10d Alaska
01/09 Celebrity Galaxy - 10d Southern Caribbbean
10/11 HAL Maasdam - 45d Atlantic Adventurer (RT FLL to Europe)
05/14 Carnival Legend - 7d Western Caribbean
06/14 Carnival Conquest - 7d Eastern Caribbean
07/15 HAL Veendam - 1st 18d of Voyage of the Vikings (Boston-Amsterdam)
10/15 Norwegian Spirit - 28d Transatlantic (Venice-Orlando)
01/16 HAL Rotterdam - 89d Passage to the Far East

Looking forward to.....
01/19 HAL Prinsendam- 80d Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage