Cruise from LA but not interested in LA ???

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:33 PM.
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,818 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by Iwant2BatC
Another option would be Ventura and Ojai. Both are charming. Channel Islands National Park is offshore with Park headquarters being in Ventura. There are boat day trips offered and the scenery is unique. Ojai has wonderful little shops and several very upscale hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Local pronunciation hint --in the area is Port Hueneme (h-Y Nee Me)
This whole area is a very pretty part of the Coast. Much cheaper than Santa Barbara.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Marina del Rey, CA
361 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Have to chime in here as a person who lives in LA. There is a ton to do here beyond Hollywood, etc. If youre adventurous, Venice beach is one if the coolest places on earth. It doesn't get rolling till late afternoon though. And it is crazy in a good way. You'll be sailing out of San Pedro but just 5 minutes south, the queen Mary is a beautiful side trip and you can stay on board. An hour and a half drive gets you to lake arrowhead and big bear or an hour up the coast you can do wonderful wine tours in santa ynez valley. A day trip up PCH to Malibu and have lunch overlooking the ocean. Just avoid traffic at all costs and you'll have a great time in LA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July 2018 Norwegian Getaway
Washington
2,170 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by SadieN
Local pronunciation hint --in the area is Port Hueneme (h-Y Nee Me)
This whole area is a very pretty part of the Coast. Much cheaper than Santa Barbara.
Sadie, having been in the military and taking a PT boat out of Port Hueneme Naval Construction Battalion, I believe the correct pronunciation is "why-neem-me". No H in front of it.
Stockton CA
3,081 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
That is a good choice. However, with the Hwy 1 washed out it doesn't allow you see one of the Top 10 most scenic drives in the USA. I would fly to SFO and do some time there and/or drive to Monterey and spend a night there. From Monterey, via HWY 101, to LA there isn't much to see until Santa Barbara. You can cut back over to HWY 1 around Oxnard and the drive is again right along the coast and through Malibu.
Stockton CA
3,081 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Husky61
Sadie, having been in the military and taking a PT boat out of Port Hueneme Naval Construction Battalion, I believe the correct pronunciation is "why-neem-me". No H in front of it.
I would make it "why-nee-me" or just call it Oxnard "oxe-nards". I think that's how to say it?