Friends of Dorothy

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:07 AM.
Whitley Bay, North East England
6,558 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Whatever the organisation, meetings onboard will only happen if someone has organised one.

This can be done on board but it can be done before hand. I do this for group meetings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Aurora AU112 Arcadia AR223
Aurora R418 Aurora R419
Adonia F507 Adonia F508
Aurora R525 Arcadia J625
Oceana E721 Oriana X718
Arcadia J813 Oriana X820
Ventura N902 Aurora R913
Arcadia J004 Oceana E021
Ventura N110 Azura A121
Aurora R119 Ventura N210
Arcadia J217 Oriana X302
Oriana X312 Aurora R315
Oceana E402 Azura A409
Azura A410 Oceana E425
Oceana E426 Arcadia J510
Britannia B522 Britannia B523
Ventura N603 Azura A616
Arcadia J615 Arcadia J616
Oceana E625 Crown Princess May 17
Britannia B719 Britannia B720

To Come

Azura 17
Azura 17
Ventura 18
Oriana 18
Oriana 18
Ventura 19
Ventura 19
Britannia 19
Ventura 9
Ventura 19

Gan Canny

Dai
Grand Canyon Concourse
286 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Originally posted by majortom10
Exactly that is why they use the term "Friends of Dorothy" discretion.
Sorry I was refering to the use of LGBT. There are people who don't know what that represent either - therefore, no need to use FoD these days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ottershaw, UK
106 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by GP&LK
Never seen one on any of our P&O cruises.

If interested maybe have a word with the entertainment director and see if they can arrange it in the horizon.

Cunard do them - non hosted at 5pm on a certain side of the commodore club (crows nest) daily.
There have been 'friends of Dorothy' meetings on most of the P & O cruises we have been on. Usually advertised in the Horizon.
3,511 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Otter18
There have been 'friends of Dorothy' meetings on most of the P & O cruises we have been on. Usually advertised in the Horizon.
I read Horizon front to back and like others here have never seen a meeting featured.

David
Staffordshire
1,981 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Seen both "Friends of Dorothy" and "Bill W" advertised over the years in the Horizon paper when on a P&O cruise and initially did not even know what they stood for until the wonder of Google .
Ottershaw, UK
106 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by balf
I read Horizon front to back and like others here have never seen a meeting featured.

David
Accepted. It wasn't advertised on all the cruises.

Brian
Warwickshire, England
1,604 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
There were several on my cruise last week, LGBT now though. These are non-hosted so guess they haven't been requested by anyone, I'm sure I have seen these in Horizon on other trips.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017
Grand Canyon Concourse
286 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
General question now.. what are the specifics on hosted vs. non-hosted.

I would have thought that non-hosted usually meant it was a get together requested by a fellow passenger, whearas hosted is something the ship arranged in advance.
ie. non-hosted knitting or hosted whist.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Warwickshire, England
1,604 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
My instinct would say non hosted is just a room/area made available if anyone wants to go like ping-pong, tennis or bridge. Never saw anyone at the LGBT meeting but I was only walking past fleetingly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike

Aurora 2004 - Sun Princess 2005 -QE2 2006 - Oceana 2007 - Grand Princess 2007 - Oriana 2008 - QM2 2008 - Grand Princess 2009 - Voyager of the Seas 2009 - Oceana 2009 - Oriana 2010 - Star Princess 2011 - Grand Princess 2012 - Oceana 2012 - Grand princess 2012 (again) - Ruby Princess May 2013 - Ruby Princess October 2013 - Emerald Princess May 2014 - Grand Princess November 2014 - Anthem of the Seas June 2015 - Britannia Dec 2015 - Emerald Princess May 2016 - Britannia Dec 2016 - Oceana 2017
England
908 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by Monorail Orange
General question now.. what are the specifics on hosted vs. non-hosted.

I would have thought that non-hosted usually meant it was a get together requested by a fellow passenger, whearas hosted is something the ship arranged in advance.
ie. non-hosted knitting or hosted whist.
Non hosted means that the event is not organised by P&O and staff members will not be present. It is merely an advert placed on behalf of a passenger(s) hoping that others with a similar interest will meet up, or something that P&O facilitates without actually organising anything other than making a space available, such as solo traveller meets.

Although P&O will usually oblige and put something in Horizon if asked sufficiently in advance, roll calls can also be a good way to arrange meets. Somebody suggested a 'cruise critic meet' for the 2nd sea day of our May cruise on Aurora and around 15 of us turned up. We got to know a few of the people and it was nice to be able to chat to them at various times throughout the cruise, both on the ship and ashore in ports.

I can't say I've ever noticed a Friends of Dorothy meeting advertised, but there always seem to be non hosted Masons meetings (not that I've been to any). Somebody mentioned a sex addicts meeting in an earlier post. Now that would definitely spark my curiosity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 143 nights over 13 cruises (Aurora x 3, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 74 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
36 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Haven't noticed any LGBT or FoD meetings on any of the cruises I've been but have seen the Friends of Bill W meeting regularly (though never actually knew what it was until I read this post, every day's a school day.) Was on Azura last week & that definitely had at least one Friends of Bill W meeting remember reading it in the Horizon.
ONTario-CAnada
2,877 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Having sailed the majority of the cruise lines, our first P&O has been booked for January out of Barbados. We appreciate the comments regarding FOD meetings for we tend to request at least one on our journeys and from your comments will do so when aboard. Beyond our preference for FOD over LGBTQ2 (soon to include Tom, Dick and Harry - LGBTQ2TDH) what ever happened to "GAY"? Universal, concise and fabulous.

To the comments regarding P&O's traditional sailaway, is that conducted only out of the port of Southampton? Sounds like a real treat to me.
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK. No Carlisle is not in Scotland
254 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by ONT-CA
Having sailed the majority of the cruise lines, our first P&O has been booked for January out of Barbados. We appreciate the comments regarding FOD meetings for we tend to request at least one on our journeys and from your comments will do so when aboard. Beyond our preference for FOD over LGBTQ2 (soon to include Tom, Dick and Harry - LGBTQ2TDH) what ever happened to "GAY"? Universal, concise and fabulous.

To the comments regarding P&O's traditional sailaway, is that conducted only out of the port of Southampton? Sounds like a real treat to me.
The Great British Sailaway (with singing, dancing, pims and raucous xenophobic flag waving) is usually the last port before Southampton on the way home. It is especially fabulous if there is an American ship alongside we can direct all this good humour towards.
Cambridgeshire
2,563 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Florry
I wish the meetings were arranged for 'LGBT and allies' because I'd like to go on the basis that it's usually the source of the best company onboard I might put that add in the Horizon on our next trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I do not see why anyone of any sexual orientation cannot attend. Can you imagine running a meeting and trying to exclude LBGT people? So why would one assume a LGBT meeting would discriminate against anyone else attending on the basis of their not being any of the LGBT types? Would disabled people be allowed to attend for example?

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
ONTario-CAnada
2,877 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by FangedRose
The Great British Sailaway (with singing, dancing, pims and raucous xenophobic flag waving) is usually the last port before Southampton on the way home. It is especially fabulous if there is an American ship alongside we can direct all this good humour towards.
Many many years ago when living in Vancouver I attended a sailaway of a P&O ship destined for the Orient. It was absolutely amazing. Brass band, streamers by the thousands connecting ship to dock with many more people in the stands than there were passengers. As a spectator I noticed two gals at the ship’s railing who obviously had no one ashore to see them off. So I filled in by drawing their attention and waving. It took a moment for them to realize what I was doing, had no idea who I was but were delighted to be drawn into the ceremony. When the ship pulled away from the dock to the snapping of the streamers the band played “We’ll Meat Again” and there wasn’t a dry eyed in the house.