Pre-Cruise Arrangements in Venice

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:49 PM.
Montreal Canada
7,070 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Is staying in mestre a good option??I found a place called Junior park hotel for a fairly reaonable price . We are planning to stay a few days as this is. Out frst visit in the region first time in Venice ,,,,very exciting...i knw we will need some kind of transportation .How feasable s that??
Because of flights we will need to stay a few days longer ...i am looking for avery reasonable hotel plus i hate to say it but i do not travel light I cannot afford these fancu 3-500$ a night hotel way too much
Where should we look ??how expensive is it to get around. How late could we stay in Venice and then head back to a hotel in Mestre at night ??
Any help advice welcome ??

Michele
Palmdale, Ca
33,881 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I just booked our travel arrangements from Marco Polo airport to the Locanda Orseolo. I once again used a company called Venice Guide & Boat. If anyone is still looking for arrangements to get to their pre-cruise hotel stay, I would suggest taking a look at this company. Holli & I used them for our 2011 cruise and I can't say enough good things about them. They have several different levels of service to fit everines budget.....

http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Vermont
4,131 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by mmemichele
Is staying in mestre a good option??I found a place called Junior park hotel for a fairly reaonable price . We are planning to stay a few days as this is. Out frst visit in the region first time in Venice ,,,,very exciting...i knw we will need some kind of transportation .How feasable s that??
Because of flights we will need to stay a few days longer ...i am looking for avery reasonable hotel plus i hate to say it but i do not travel light I cannot afford these fancu 3-500$ a night hotel way too much
Where should we look ??how expensive is it to get around. How late could we stay in Venice and then head back to a hotel in Mestre at night ??

Michele
Michele, This is just my humble opinion. If you have never been to Venice before please try to stay in Venice. The whole atmosphere of being right on the islands is priceless. There are nice affordable accommodations if you do your research. I am staying at Trip Advisor's #1 rated hotel in Venice for 150 euros a night, a real bargain. The problem is that these gems get booked up way in advance. I have had my reservation for a year now. Priceline bidding is also an option. There is no need to drag all your luggage over bridges or spend premium for a private water taxi if you are on a budget. There is a luggage storage in the Piazzale Roma where you can leave your cruise luggage and just take a carry-on to your hotel. It was intimidating for me the first time but now I would not do it any other way unless it was for only one night. I travel solo and never for a minute feel unsafe in Venice no matter how late at night.
Oregon, USA
10,745 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by Woobstr112G
I just booked our travel arrangements from Marco Polo airport to the Locanda Orseolo. I once again used a company called Venice Guide & Boat. If anyone is still looking for arrangements to get to their pre-cruise hotel stay, I would suggest taking a look at this company. Holli & I used them for our 2011 cruise and I can't say enough good things about them. They have several different levels of service to fit everines budget.....
http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/
Bob
Bob, this looks interesting. What time do you get in? I was just wondering if there might be a way we could share the transportation to save on $$. We also get in in the 6th at 5:45PM. Which level of service would you suggest? Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lynda
Palmdale, Ca
33,881 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Lynda90
Bob, this looks interesting. What time do you get in? I was just wondering if there might be a way we could share the transportation to save on $$. We also get in in the 6th at 5:45PM. Which level of service would you suggest? Thanks!
Lynda;

We are scheduled to arrive at 6:40pm. I would suggest the deluxe package. It's a little more pricey, but it is everything you'd need for transportation from the airport to your hotel. As far as sharring, I'm not sure if the private water taxi would be able to handle the four of us with the associated luggage. I will send an email to the company and let you know what they reply back with.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Oregon, USA
10,745 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Lynda;

We are scheduled to arrive at 6:40pm. I would suggest the deluxe package. It's a little more pricey, but it is everything you'd need for transportation from the airport to your hotel. As far as sharring, I'm not sure if the private water taxi would be able to handle the four of us with the associated luggage. I will send an email to the company and let you know what they reply back with.....

Bob
Thanks, Bob. I was looking at the website and I'm pretty sure they can handle 4 people. Even if it's a little more, it would be worth it to share and this is the service I am looking for. Time wise, it looks great. Our arrivals are close enough! I'm excited to see what the company replies to you. In 2011 we had 5 people in our water taxi, so hopefully, we will be fine. I've sent you an email in response to yours. Would be great to have one more thing crossed off the list!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lynda
Southern California
3,236 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
We are staying at the Airport Marriott. It worked out great for us last time. They have a free shuttle that picks us up at the airport and brings us to the hotel (just 5 minute ride). The next day we booked their van to the ship and shared the cost with others staying at the hotel. No water taxis, just so easy for me with my travel scooter. There is a bus that stops right near the hotel that takes you close to where you can get the vaparatto to St. Mark's square, etc. I'm sure the concierge can email info to you or their site might have info. We didn't go anywhere since we arrived late at night and went to the ship the next morning. The room is 189 Euros a night (could have gotten it cheaper if I had booked earlier...wish I had.). If anyone is considering staying there and would like to share the cost of the van to the ship, please let me know.
Palmdale, Ca
33,881 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Thanks, Bob. I was looking at the website and I'm pretty sure they can handle 4 people. Even if it's a little more, it would be worth it to share and this is the service I am looking for. Time wise, it looks great. Our arrivals are close enough! I'm excited to see what the company replies to you. In 2011 we had 5 people in our water taxi, so hopefully, we will be fine. I've sent you an email in response to yours. Would be great to have one more thing crossed off the list!
Lynda;

I will let you know as soon as I hear from the company.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
1,465 Posts
Joined Jan 2010

Michele
Bonjour Michele!

Have you looked into Bed and Breakfasts? We stayed at one on our first visit to Venice in 2010. Reasonable for Venice, great location, and a lovely hostess. There was a ceiling fresco in the dining room that was 500 only years old ! You can email me if you are interested in the contact information.

denise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Booked:
Southern Caribbean Medley on the Royal Princess, February 18th, 2018
Eastern Caribbean on the Royal Princess, February 28th, 2018
Norwegian Fjords on Sapphire Princess, July 21st, 2018
Wine Country Coastal on the Royal Princess, May 4th, 2019

Sailed:
Transatlantic to the Mediterranean on the Ruby Princess, April 2010
Eastern and Southern Caribbean on the Grand Princess, February 2012
Baltic Heritage on the Grand Princess, July 2012
Eastern Caribbean Explorer on the Emerald Princess, April 2013
Grand Mediterranean on the Royal Princess, September 27th, 2013
Maiden Transatlantic on the Royal Princess, October 9th, 2013
Roundtrip Panama Canal (Partial Transit) on the Coral Princess, February 27th, 2015
Mardi Gras & Caribbean on the Celebrity Equinox, February 20th, 2017
Oregon, USA
10,745 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Lynda;

I will let you know as soon as I hear from the company.....

Bob
Great; fingers crossed it works out!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lynda
Palmdale, Ca
33,881 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Great; fingers crossed it works out!
I believe it has.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Central Florida
1,731 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I was watching Rick Steves video on Venice last night on PBS. He was showing the quiet side of Venice that you experience on a gondola ride when I saw the B&B we will be staying at. It's on a canal corner and makes for a lovely Venetian scene. Tourists going by like to take pictures of this corner.

It's not a grand hotel, but the owners are very nice and the location is excellent.The price is also very reasonable.

If you haven't settled on a place to stay yet give them a try. There are 3 rooms and we have one overlooking the canal. There is also a suite on top with it's own terrace overlooking the canal.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ce_Veneto.html
North of Tampa, FL USA
7,737 Posts
Joined Aug 2000

Michele
Hi Michele...

It's more in what you personally are comfortable with. The first time we stayed in Venice at the Molino Stucky which we got at a great rate. Then we stayed in Mestre twice and felt comfortable with doing that. The hotels are cheaper and so is food. We got a 72 hour pass from Veniceconnected.com at a discount for buying online and it included all buses and vaporetti. I think we paid 30€ each. We quickly learned to follow the natives and they were very helpful even with our lack of Italian!!

This time I will be traveling alone and chose a hotel near P. Roma for the convenience and the location being busy 24 hours a day. It was also quite reasonable and includes breakfast. It got good reviews on Trip Advisor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home." - James Michener

No trees or animals were harmed by the transmission of this message. However, a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My Email Address
Maine
10,248 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Hi Donna, we will be staying with others at the Molino Stuckey. It looks very nice and having Hilton points to pay for it was good.

What type of establishments are in the area of the hotel. One of our friends mentioned that there was a Harry's Bar location on the Island. Is it near the hotel? Also what is around for restaurants, etc. Any tid-bits would be appreciated about the hotel and surrounding area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Adele (&Bob)

Caribbean Princess - Dec. 20, 2017
Crown Princess - April 6, 2019

Proud Member of the Red Sox & Patriot Nations.

Boston Strong
Dix Hills, Long Island, New York
5,931 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by Northender
Hi Donna, we will be staying with others at the Molino Stuckey. It looks very nice and having Hilton points to pay for it was good.

What type of establishments are in the area of the hotel. One of our friends mentioned that there was a Harry's Bar location on the Island. Is it near the hotel? Also what is around for restaurants, etc. Any tid-bits would be appreciated about the hotel and surrounding area.
The place I mentioned was Harry's Dolci...very close to our hotel..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ce_Veneto.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rich & Loretta
Go Yankees and Giants

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Cruises
Disney 1
Cunard 1
HAL 1
RCCI 3
Princess 11
NCL 22
AMA Waterways 3
MSC 1
Viking River 1