Restaurant recommendations in Venice,

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:48 AM.
Vermont
4,131 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Last fall I had a small group of RHR's that arranged to have dinner at Ostaria al Vecio Pozzo. I highly recommend this restaurant. Tablecloths but not formal at all. Lots of locals. Prices very reasonable for Venice. They had everything from great pizza to succulent fresh seafood, pasta, and beef. The seafood risotto was outtanding. I definitely want to go back this time.

http://translate.google.com/translat...6prmd%3Dimvnso
Kailua,Hi 96734
1,501 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by Carolyn R
Last fall I had a small group of RHR's that arranged to have dinner at Ostaria al Vecio Pozzo. I highly recommend this restaurant. Tablecloths but not formal at all. Lots of locals. Prices very reasonable for Venice. They had everything from great pizza to succulent fresh seafood, pasta, and beef. The seafood risotto was outtanding. I definitely want to go back this time.

http://translate.google.com/translat...6prmd%3Dimvnso
Sounds yummy! I looked at the web site but alas, no menu (or prices)
Perhaps other can chime in with their reccommendations for other reasonably (for Venice)
priced restaurants?
would love to hear about those close to the Locanda Orseolo!

Aloha,
Bev
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bev
Davidson, NC
1,409 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Looks wonderful, Carolyn and as best I can tell it's not far from our hotel. We'll definitely have to plan dinner one evening.
Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
We have three restaurants we go back to each time we go to Venice. The first, and least expensive, is not far from the Al Ponte Antico Hotel. It is the Osteria Barababao. It's nothing fancy but we've found the food to be good and the house wines very nice.

Next is the Ristorante Alla Borsa. We stumbled upon this one the first time we visited Venice and have been back every time since. Good pasta with clams! Nice wine list. Not inexpensive.

Our favorite is Osteria Santa Marina. It's an exquisite restaurant with a wonderful tasting menu which changes with the seasons. They also have a very nice regular menu. Also not inexpensive, but we love it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oregon, USA
10,745 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by BLS
Sounds yummy! I looked at the web site but alas, no menu (or prices)
Perhaps other can chime in with their reccommendations for other reasonably (for Venice)
priced restaurants?
would love to hear about those close to the Locanda Orseolo!

Aloha,
Bev
Bev, we went to a few nice restaurants very close to the hotel. I can't remember what the names were but the staff directed us to them. They are so wonderful that all you have to do is ask. They have very good recommendations for just about anything you want.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Lynda
Chesapeake, VA USA
9,907 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
The most inexpensive restuarants are the ones away from the St. Marks and Rialto area. The best ones we stumbled upon sometimes while we were lost. LOL

Over the years, I have found that the restaurants the hotels send you to are the touristy ones and the best ones are the ones the locals go to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dorothy
Chesapeake, VA USA
9,907 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
There are at least 2 in Venice that I am aware of. The food is disgusting and are not anything like our McDonalds even though ours are not that good. They are also expensive.

However, if you should stumble upon one in Venice - USE IT! Dont pass up the opportunity for a bathroom.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dorothy
Ontario, Canada
920 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Hi Ann,

Amazing how we have the same tastes in hotels & restaurants!!! We are at the same hotel and our top restaurants are Il Ridotto, Il Barababao & Osteria Santa Marina. Perhaps we can get together for a pre cruising dinner!
Jan
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Royal Princess (Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale) October 2017
Caribbean Princess (Fort Lauderdale return) January 2018
Celebrity Reflection (Fort Lauderdale return) January 2018
Celebrity Reflection (Fort Lauderdale return - Mardi Gras) February 2018
Emerald Princess (Los Angeles return) October 2018

Completed :: Celebrity Equinox (Western Caribbean) March 2017, Celebrity Eclipse (Southern Caribbean) February 2017, Celebrity Xpedition (Galapagos) September 2016, Celebrity Millennium (Singapore to Hong Kong) February 2016, RCI Mariner (Singapore return) February 2016, Sinorama Gold 8 (Yangtze River) November 2015, Golden Princess (Buenos Aires to Los Angeles) - March 2014, Royal Princess (Venice to Fort Lauderdale)- October 2013 , Celebrity Solstice (Perth to Sydney) - February 2013, Celebrity Solstice (Auckland to Sydney) - January 2013, Grand Princess (Transatlantic) - November 2011, Movenpick Royal Lily (Nile River) - October 2011, Pacific Princess(Rome to Venice) - July 2010, Celebrity Solstice(Carribean) - March 2010, Carribean Princess (Carribean) - March 2009, Azamara Quest(Black Sea)-July 2008, RCI (AOS)(Carribean) - March 2008, Uniworld(Duoro River) - July 2007, Carnival Destiny (Carribean) - March 2007, Celebrity Century (Baltic) - July 2006, Celebrity Millennium (Med) - July 2005, Coral Princess (Alaska) - July 2003
Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by jmlh
Hi Ann,

Amazing how we have the same tastes in hotels & restaurants!!! We are at the same hotel and our top restaurants are Il Ridotto, Il Barababao & Osteria Santa Marina. Perhaps we can get together for a pre cruising dinner!
Jan
You're right, Jan. The Royal cruise will be the 5th transatlantic from Venice we've done and you are the first ones I can remember who have been to the Osteria Santa Marina besides us. We'll have to check out the Il Ridotto too. The first time we went to Il Barababao we sat at a table next to an Italian wedding party. We offered to take some photos of the group so they could all be in the pictures. before we knew it, we were part of the wedding party with toasts and hugs! It was great fun!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Palmdale, Ca
33,880 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Last October we had dinner at a place called La Rosa Rossa. Fantastic food and it didn't break the bank. Many great reviews on Trip Advisor.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Chesapeake, VA USA
9,907 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Originally posted by Woobstr112G
Last October we had dinner at a place called La Rosa Rossa. Fantastic food and it didn't break the bank. Many great reviews on Trip Advisor.....

Bob

They have great pizza there, too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dorothy
Vermont
4,131 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Yea! This is just the kind of recommendations I wanted to see here. Last year I spent hours trying to find a few good reasonable restaurants. I agree with Dorothy that it seems the best restaurants are in the back alleys away from St. Mark's.
Kailua,Hi 96734
1,501 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by dsawyer
The most inexpensive restuarants are the ones away from the St. Marks and Rialto area. The best ones we stumbled upon sometimes while we were lost. LOL

Over the years, I have found that the restaurants the hotels send you to are the touristy ones and the best ones are the ones the locals go to.

Hi Dorothy,
I agree, place we found when "lost" are great! Always good to get off the beaten path and away from the touristy areas!

Aloha,
Bev
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bev
Palmdale, Ca
33,880 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by dsawyer
They have great pizza there, too.
Dorothy;

Thanks for the heads up. We didn't have Pizza there, but I just might have to cheeck it out in October of 2013.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
North Coastal San Diego county
8,494 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
The Hilton Stuckey Hotel in Venice has the Executive lounge on the Executive floor .

If you buy the American Express "Surpass Credit Card " & put every thing on it (6 points per dollar for gas ,restaurants,grocery stores & pharmacies --all other buying 3 points per dollar ) .

The American Express Surpass credit card gets you to Gold Card level the very first year(after which you need to maintain $20000 yrly purchases /Daimond level takes $40000 per yr purchases .

When you are in Europe what they call 4 star are really 2 star properties here in the US . When you have the Gold Card level you eat free in the Executive lounge .Completely free american full breakfast .In rome for 6 nights at the Hilton at the airport we ate free breakfast ,lunch & dinner --figured it saved us $1200 -$1500 for 6 night stay (they took us into rome 8 times a day via their bus free & back) .

Hilton in Europe is like a hilton here in the USA .

I just checked & you can stay at the Hilton Suckey Venice (it is on its own island ) .Using the American Express code "AXON" for 145000 Hilton honor points yopu stay totally free for 4 nights

Best deal is get the Surpass American Express hilton Honors credit card .The card cost $75 for the year ;but ,you become gold card level instantly & can book into the executive floor with the Executive lounge benefits

We have saved well over $25000 in hilton Stays --here in the states they are Hampton Inns ,embassy Suites ,hilton Garden Inns , Double Tree hotels ,Conrad hiltons , Hilton hotels & Waldorf hiltons .

Should you get that credit card make sure that you get a acct with www.hhonors.com so that your points can be credited on a monthly basis . We have 190000 points right now .It took about one year to accumulate them & we are adding monthly

Enjoy

Cliff
8,494 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Get Magic jack & they assign you a local telephone # in your area . When in Europe ,bring a net book .hook up magic jack & talk as long as you want (local # to local # ) over the internet .

Cliff
8,494 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
First the cell phone must be quad Band (2 bands for USA & 2 Bands for europe )

Second the phone must be a unlocked phone

Three -you can buy a unlocked quad band phone on Amazon .com (just make sure the warranty is in English for the directions other wise it will be in irtalian LOL)

In Italy we bought a sim chip for 10 euro . In Italy with a italian Tel #/sim chip your call out is .19c per minute & zero cost coming in .If you use a US carrier (assuming their phone is quad band to begin wiith 0 your cost is likely to be $1.30 per minute each way

Cliff
Kailua,Hi 96734
1,501 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Sorry but am a bit confused. This thread is about Restaurants in Veince. How did it go from that to telephone???
Not to sound grumpy but if you wish to chat about phones etc, please start your own thread. Many of us are really interested in the various restaurants reccommended in Venice.(Most are looking for reasonably priced and away from the usual tourist areas)

Mahalo,
Bev
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bev
Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by BLS
Sorry but am a bit confused. This thread is about Restaurants in Veince. How did it go from that to telephone???
Not to sound grumpy but if you wish to chat about phones etc, please start your own thread. Many of us are really interested in the various restaurants reccommended in Venice.(Most are looking for reasonably priced and away from the usual tourist areas)

Mahalo,
Bev
Ditto, Bev! Perhaps my idea of topic specific threads was a mistake, especially if people don't stay on the topic.

Back to restaurants and food. Did you guys know that in addition to pasta and seafood one of Venice's specialty dishes is liver and onions? Now I know that is a not a favorite of many people, but we happen to love it. Many Venetian restaurants have it on their menu.

Two of the restaurants we like best are off the beaten path and we found quite by accident. Wandering around in little streets and stopping for lunch, dinner or even a coffee and pastry at some place you run across is one of the charming things about being in Venice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature