S. California - Meet and Greet

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:11 AM.
#41
North Coastal San Diego county
8,507 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by waltd
ok Bob now don't try to confuse me. What is HB????????
Joe , That is huntington Beach . A nice location ,just that it is a bit further out of the way from all the So Calif counties ,to drive there .Yes it is Orange county ;but ,it is a beach city.

If every one likes the local of Huntington Beach ,we are game .

Joe ,we first need to take a poll on which Saturday weekend is the best in October ,then based on what Saturday weekend gets the most votes is what we go with .You can add our vote to any Saturday weekend in October ,for starters .We tink it still is a bit too soon for a poll vote as more So Ca CCers may join us here .

Try shooting for the poll vote in June or July ,that will give enough time to secure a good location . It does take some work . I would start research with www.tripadvisor.com &start in their restaurant section or hotel section,for recommendations of the best places .then place the phone calls once you have the # of people attending

Next once you have the # of people attending you can arrange the place via phone with the owner or mgr & ask for a large separate room to accomodate the group .

If you need help in this regard let me know . Another idea is a hotel restaurant to meet ,still in Orange county .

My e-mail address is [email protected] .Gve me your home tel # & best time to phone & I will call you

My wheels are turning but a bit slower due to typing too many e-mails for tours LOL

Is there a life after this cruise LOL

Best Regards
Ciff
#42
North Coastal San Diego county
8,507 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Woobstr112G
I was slightly mistaken. It's actually Sunset Beach. not Huntington Beach.....

Bob
Bob what's the name of the restaurant in Sunset Beach ? Is sunset South or North of Huntington Beach or is it in LA county ?

Cliff
#43
Canyon Country, California
3,385 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Thanks Cliff. Appreciate the help. This is a first for me. As far as date I think October would be a good month for our meet. Still have some good weather and it's before the holidays. As far as date there are the following weekend dates. 6th, 7th, 13th, 14th, 20th, 21st, and 27th and 28th. All are either Saturday or a Sunday. Will start looking into some other places to meet besides the Elephant Bar. Cliff we will talk soon.

Thanks Joe
#44
North Coastal San Diego county
8,507 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by waltd
Thanks Cliff. Appreciate the help. This is a first for me. As far as date I think October would be a good month for our meet. Still have some good weather and it's before the holidays. As far as date there are the following weekend dates. 6th, 7th, 13th, 14th, 20th, 21st, and 27th and 28th. All are either Saturday or a Sunday. Will start looking into some other places to meet besides the Elephant Bar. Cliff we will talk soon.

Thanks Joe
Joe any Saturday in October is good for us .Sundays are out ,that is church day for us . look forward to chating with you .

Cliff
#45
San Pedro, CA
1,791 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by mcrcruiser
Bob what's the name of the restaurant in Sunset Beach ? Is sunset South or North of Huntington Beach or is it in LA county ?

Cliff
Captain Jack's & it's small, noisey, very good & pricey! Only problem with Sunset Beach is it's really not freeway close. I guess it can be a shorter drive from the 605 / 22 west into Long Beach.
#46
Laguna Niguel, CA
1,521 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
I agree about the noise at Captain Jack's. I have been to a birthday celebration with 14 people and I could barely hear thr person sitting next to me and not the person across from me, but I love the crab legs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy
2019 Royal Princess Coastal LA to Vancouver
2018 Grand Princess Alaska San Francisco Roundtrip
2017 Regal Princess Northern Europe Transatlantic
2016 Caribbean Princess British Isle Transatlantic
2015 Ruby Princess Coastal Getaway
2015 Royal Princess Western Europe Passage
2014 Golden Princess West Coast Getaway
2014 Sapphire Grand Asia Pacific Crossing
2014 Sapphire Coastal Sampler
2013 Golden Princess West Coast Getaway
2012 Grand Princess London Transatlantic
2011 Sapphire Princess Coastal LA Roundtrip
2010 Golden Princess LA to Hawaii Roundtrip
2009 Golden Princess Vancouver to LA
2008 Caribbean Princess New England
2007 Star Princess Scandinavia/Russia
2006 Golden Princess Western Europe/Bristish Isles
2005 Celebrity Infinity Northwest
2004 Diamond Princess Alaska
1997 Carnival Mexico
1985 Carnival Bahamas
1967 Matson Lurline Hawaii to San Francisco


#47
San Pedro, CA
1,791 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by candide333
I agree about the noise at Captain Jack's. I have been to a birthday celebration with 14 people and I could barely hear thr person sitting next to me and not the person across from me, but I love the crab legs.
If folks are willing to drive from North San Diego county & South Ventura county - why not make it easier for them & pick a quieter place midway & not far from the 5 or 405 freeway? As I get older it's becoming more & more difficult to sit at a large table in a noisey restaurant & hear conversations. I guess I'll have to learn to lip read!

Seriously when you get a group that's over 8 at a table, conversations are hard to hear. This is true on the ships too. I offered my home again as I have a large deck & seating for many but I don't want to plan it myself again. It's up to all of you So. Cal Rockin' Royals what you'd like to do. I'm game for either here or at a nice restaurant. Your call!

Judy
#48
Canyon Country, California
3,385 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Hi Judy
What a nice offer. Thank You. It sounds like you have done this before. In the past how did you handle the meet and greet. Did everyone bring something or was it just drinks? It certainly has it's advantages meeting at someones home. Like you said you can hear the person you are talking too. I certainly would be willing to help out in any way I can. It really depends on our fellow travelers from north and south how they feel. Judy I agree that a restaurant should be close to a freeway just for ease of getting there. I still like the Elephant Bar but if you have any suggestions for restaurants that you have been to please let us know. Right now we have about 8 couples and 1 single that would possibly come to the meet. Thanks again for your very generious offer. Lets see how the others feel. Loolks like our meet would be sometime in October. Plenty of time to plan.

Sincerely
Joe
#49
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,753 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by volvodoll
It's up to all of you So. Cal Rockin' Royals what you'd like to do. I'm game for either here or at a nice restaurant. Your call!

Judy
Originally posted by waltd
Lets see how the others feel. Loolks like our meet would be sometime in October. Plenty of time to plan.

Sincerely
Joe
If Judy is willing to so generously offer her home for our gathering, I think it would be a great way to visit with others instead of at a restaurant. For me, it's not about the meal but having the opportunity to meet our fellow cruisers...all I need is a glass of water.

Joe...I noticed that you're just a few doors down from us in D518, we're in D508 & Solvita Lady is in D512.
#50
Canyon Country, California
3,385 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
I agree the meal is the least of my worries. I would prefer to have finger foods and drinks and just get to know everyone. But then again that's just me.

Let's hope when we leave Venice the weather is great and as we all stand out on our balconies we can toast to a great cruise.
#51
San Pedro, CA
1,791 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by waltd
Hi Judy
What a nice offer. Thank You. It sounds like you have done this before. In the past how did you handle the meet and greet. Did everyone bring something or was it just drinks? It certainly has it's advantages meeting at someones home. Like you said you can hear the person you are talking too. I certainly would be willing to help out in any way I can. It really depends on our fellow travelers from north and south how they feel. Judy I agree that a restaurant should be close to a freeway just for ease of getting there. I still like the Elephant Bar but if you have any suggestions for restaurants that you have been to please let us know. Right now we have about 8 couples and 1 single that would possibly come to the meet. Thanks again for your very generious offer. Lets see how the others feel. Loolks like our meet would be sometime in October. Plenty of time to plan.

Sincerely
Joe
Yes, I'm happy to offer my home/deck for hopefully a warm mid afternoon/evening pot luck. I would provide the wine, beer, sodas, coffee etc if someone would take over the menu planning. I did this last October about 2 weeks before we sailed on the Ruby TransAt. It was certainly cheaper & more friendly then a restaurant & we weren't feeling any pressure to have the "table-turned". It was so nice when we boarded the ship to see familiar faces to wave to & greet. Folks came from San Marcos, Orange County, Valley, Palmdale, Inland Empire, Pasadena & Ventura. I am freeway close as I live about 4 miles off of the Harbor Freeway (110) above San Pedro.

All I ask is for someone to take charge planning the date (I'll be home most weekends) & coordinating the Pot Luck (who brings what). I don't want to barbeque as I never get a chance to visit if I'm at the grill!

I've attached a pic from last Oct. 1st when we did this 2 weeks prior to our Ruby TransAt. There were 20 of the 25 Rubies present in the pic. That's Bob (Woobstr112G) in front with my 3 year old granddau on his back & me standing behind her. In the background is the San Pedro Cruise center. We watched the Sapphire Princess & the NCL Gem leave that late afternoon but without us aboard!

If the group agrees, I'm certainly game to help our cause but not trying to push for you all to drive to Palos Verdes. I realize it could be a long drive but just pretend you're on your way to San Pedro to take a cruise!
Judy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg So Cal RHRs 10-1-11.jpg (22.9 KB, 26 views)
#52
North Coastal San Diego county
8,507 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by volvodoll
Yes, I'm happy to offer my home/deck for hopefully a warm mid afternoon/evening pot luck. I would provide the wine, beer, sodas, coffee etc if someone would take over the menu planning. I did this last October about 2 weeks before we sailed on the Ruby TransAt. It was certainly cheaper & more friendly then a restaurant & we weren't feeling any pressure to have the "table-turned". It was so nice when we boarded the ship to see familiar faces to wave to & greet. Folks came from San Marcos, Orange County, Valley, Palmdale, Inland Empire, Pasadena & Ventura. I am freeway close as I live about 4 miles off of the Harbor Freeway (110) above San Pedro.

All I ask is for someone to take charge planning the date (I'll be home most weekends) & coordinating the Pot Luck (who brings what). I don't want to barbeque as I never get a chance to visit if I'm at the grill!

I've attached a pic from last Oct. 1st when we did this 2 weeks prior to our Ruby TransAt. There were 20 of the 25 Rubies present in the pic. That's Bob (Woobstr112G) in front with my 3 year old granddau on his back & me standing behind her. In the background is the San Pedro Cruise center. We watched the Sapphire Princess & the NCL Gem leave that late afternoon but without us aboard!

If the group agrees, I'm certainly game to help our cause but not trying to push for you all to drive to Palos Verdes. I realize it could be a long drive but just pretend you're on your way to San Pedro to take a cruise!
Judy
Judy we think that is wonderful for you to open your home for the Meet & Greet pot luck .

What do you think about one Saturday this coming October ? Are we too soon

An idea that also could work . You know restaurants in your area who cater out .We have done this at our senior condo area for our once per month golf events ,be pizzas with salads as a example or a mix ofmexican specialities . Once the # of peope are known &the theme of the party M&G ,we think it be easy to get a catering restaurant to tell you to us what is costmight be & we can send you a check to pay for the delivery incldg tax & or tip . Seems to me that would even be a lot easier than bringing food & every one can rellax & have a good time chating with each other & of course no barbeque time for you

Cliff

Cliff
#53
Canyon Country, California
3,385 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Cliff I like your idea. Love the fact that we would have a house to meet in and especially if it has a view and paying a few dollars to have food brought in sounds great. No one would have to BBQ. How does everyone else feel? And especially Judy.
#54
San Pedro, CA
1,791 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by waltd
Cliff I like your idea. Love the fact that we would have a house to meet in and especially if it has a view and paying a few dollars to have food brought in sounds great. No one would have to BBQ. How does everyone else feel? And especially Judy.
That's a good idea but I'm not a big fan for collecting money. Let's wait & see how many folks are really interested. If it's not that many, I can figure out a pasta main dish & then all we'd need would be salad, bread & a dessert. As you said we do have a while yet - 6 months!

October is fine but earlier is better. I will be busy in late Oct. as I will be preparing for the Grand TransAt. The Oct. 6th date was thrown out there & that's a great date here.

Last year, I took charge of this M&G & I had wished I had someone to keep track of who was coming, who brings this & that. This year I'll provide the venue, set-up, tables & seating, beverages, etc. You guys can plan everything else. Just tell me how many.

Judy
#55
Canyon Country, California
3,385 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Judy you would not have to collect the money. If we ordered in I can collect the money and then get it too you. Or it could be as simple as making a number of salads, I make a pretty good potato salad and macaroni salad and there is always a fruit salad, and then getting a couple of deli trays. Then we can get bread and have sandwiches and with drinks we are all set. I thnk it would be an easier clean up.
October 6th works for me. So that's 2. If you want to do pasta I can also put together a lasagna. Yes lets see what others have to say. But whatever we decide it should be as little work for you as possible. I certainly would be there early to help setup and would stay as long as it takes to help clean up. Lets hear from all you S. California cruisers. Your thoughts please. Pot Luck? Order In? Restaurant?

Thanks

Joe
#56
San Pedro, CA
1,791 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by waltd
Judy you would not have to collect the money. If we ordered in I can collect the money and then get it too you. Or it could be as simple as making a number of salads, I make a pretty good potato salad and macaroni salad and there is always a fruit salad, and then getting a couple of deli trays. Then we can get bread and have sandwiches and with drinks we are all set. I thnk it would be an easier clean up.
October 6th works for me. So that's 2. If you want to do pasta I can also put together a lasagna. Yes lets see what others have to say. But whatever we decide it should be as little work for you as possible. I certainly would be there early to help setup and would stay as long as it takes to help clean up. Lets hear from all you S. California cruisers. Your thoughts please. Pot Luck? Order In? Restaurant?

Thanks

Joe
Thank you, Joe. Your planning would help me so much. I still am a working gal by choice - but that's 'cuz I really do like working!
Judy
#57
Canyon Country, California
3,385 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Judy I was a working guy till August of last year. I do miss my co-workers. I'm happy to help out with what ever we do.

Joe
#58
North Coastal San Diego county
8,507 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by waltd
Judy you would not have to collect the money. If we ordered in I can collect the money and then get it too you. Or it could be as simple as making a number of salads, I make a pretty good potato salad and macaroni salad and there is always a fruit salad, and then getting a couple of deli trays. Then we can get bread and have sandwiches and with drinks we are all set. I thnk it would be an easier clean up.
October 6th works for me. So that's 2. If you want to do pasta I can also put together a lasagna. Yes lets see what others have to say. But whatever we decide it should be as little work for you as possible. I certainly would be there early to help setup and would stay as long as it takes to help clean up. Lets hear from all you S. California cruisers. Your thoughts please. Pot Luck? Order In? Restaurant?

Thanks

Joe
Joe Subway makes those huge extra long sandwhiches that can be cut up in as many pieces as desired .

Papa Joes delivers pizza (hey your nmae sake )

Think that using the KISS method is the best .

The important part is that we meet each other . We don't need to get tied up in details .the simpler the better ,imo

Who ever wants to be responsible for the odering let us know you full name ,address & the amount & we will send our check

Cliff
#59
North Coastal San Diego county
8,507 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by waltd
Judy I was a working guy till August of last year. I do miss my co-workers. I'm happy to help out with what ever we do.

Joe
Joe I retired from my own business 13c yeara ago @ 60 .Lovin it every day .

We live in a senior condo 955 & over) here in Encinitas & we alwys say to others "take the rest of the day off "

Cliff
#60
North Coastal San Diego county
8,507 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Judy & Joe as we said in a earlier post any Saturday in Oct is great with us .If you want to do it in Sept saturday it is also great. As long as it is not August ,as we will be in Maui

Cliff