Traveling with an iPhone or iPad

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:30 PM.
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by dlorenzo

Ok - so if I buy the 2 items in the photo here am I ok to plug in my cell phone/ipad in Spain?
Hi dlorenzo...

A few days ago I would have said yes, but in light of IECalCruiser's comments above, I can no longer recommend the Belkin Mini Surge Protector since it is not rated for 220 volts. As I mentioned, I have used mine in Europe with no problems, but I'm not going to in the future.

I'm currently searching for one that has a couple of a/c receptacles and usb ports and a 110/220V rating. I'm not having much success, so if you find one please post it here.

If that's the same adapter I mentioned above, it's rated at 250V (10A), so it should be fine.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
Central Florida
1,734 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
This one looks like it would do the job. It doesn't have surge protection which is what causes the problem with attaching to 220 volts.
http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Pow.../ref=pd_cp_e_0
Last year most people bought a similar monster cable one but without the USB.

Here is another one that looks promising.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlet.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

This is the one most people bought last year.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by carib

This one looks like it would do the job. It doesn't have surge protection which is what causes the problem with attaching to 220 volts.
http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Pow.../ref=pd_cp_e_0
Last year most people bought a similar monster cable one but without the USB.

Here is another one that looks promising.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlet.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

This is the one most people bought last year.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
I've investigated the three you mention. I only wish they were rated 110/220v.

I see where somebody received an email from Monster saying they would work with 220v. If that's the case, they should say so in their specs on Amazon and on their own web site.

There are a bunch on the Amazon's Uk site, but I haven't tried to order yet.

I'm going to keep looking...surely there's a compact electric strip / surge suppressor rated 110/220v that can be purchased in the US.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I've located three that show a bit of promise...
The third on will do the job, but it's on the pricy side. I'll keep looking...

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Central Florida
1,734 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by -Lew-
I've investigated the three you mention. I only wish they were rated 110/220v.

I see where somebody received an email from Monster saying they would work with 220v. If that's the case, they should say so in their specs on Amazon and on their own web site.

There are a bunch on the Amazon's Uk site, but I haven't tried to order yet.

I'm going to keep looking...surely there's a compact electric strip / surge suppressor rated 110/220v that can be purchased in the US.

Lew
I think the monster ones are Ok. The only thing that can potentially be a problem with 220V is the little light on the plug. The circuitry for the surge suppressor is more the problem if it's only rated for 110V. I see in the comments in Amazon where people have been using them all over the world.
Here is one I found that's dual voltage but I don't like the design. The plugs are close together. Plugging just one device charger takes up 2 of those places. And there is no USB outlet.
http://www.amazon.com/Simran-SM-60-1.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Here is what I use. If I only need 3 plugs I can use the orange plugs. They are nicely spaced. Or I can use the white extension cord, which is a regular cord I shortened. If I need lots of sockets I combine them. For USB I leave my netbook plugged in and use the USB ports.
Really you only need any of these extensions if there is a shortage of outlets where you are staying, which is usually the case, with all the things we plug in today.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelen...in/photostream
Central Florida
1,734 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I've located three that show a bit of promise...
The third on will do the job, but it's on the pricy side. I'll keep looking...

Lew
I saw those ones too but I have always taken the risk with no surge protector and I have had no problems over the years. That last one is way too expensive.
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005

I saw those ones too but I have always taken the risk with no surge protector and I have had no problems over the years. That last one is way too expensive.
I just don't feel comfortable not using a surge suppressor. If you're okay with that, perhaps one of the two dual voltage power strips will do the job for you. You're right about the EuroSurge...way too expensive.

Here's the Travel Smart TS-237AP-1 All-In-One Adapter Plug with Surge Protection that is available for $14.99 at J&R. It's a surge suppressor, it's dual-voltage rated and acts as an adapter as well with four plug configurations.

Caution when purchasing the above: This company also makes an adapter only version of the above without surge suppression. Be sure you order the correct model.

I think the Travel Smart TS-237AP-1 above, along with one of the two dual-voltage power strips I mentioned will do the job for me.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Eastern Virginia
6,088 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Thank you, David and Lew, for doing all this legwork and coming up with these options. We too bring along all kinds of electronics and I've never brought anything but an adapter plug with me. I have worried about our things though. Next trip I'll be using the benefit of your research and taking along one of these options you've come up with.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Everyone traveling to Europe should have the Skype app on their iOS device. I have used Skype to place calls to the USA and to other EU countries while in Europe with no issues at all.

Skype and Wi-Fi Finder make a great combination.

I addition to your iPhone, you can use the Skype app to make calls using your iPad and iPod Touch.

Be sure to set up a Skype account and test the app before you leave for your trip.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Central Florida
1,734 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I just don't feel comfortable not using a surge suppressor. If you're okay with that, perhaps one of the two dual voltage power strips will do the job for you. You're right about the EuroSurge...way too expensive.

Here's the Travel Smart TS-237AP-1 All-In-One Adapter Plug with Surge Protection that is available for $14.99 at J&R. It's a surge suppressor, it's dual-voltage rated and acts as an adapter as well with four plug configurations.

<B>
Caution when purchasing the above: This company also makes an adapter only version of the above without surge suppression. Be sure you order the correct model.
</B>
I think the Travel Smart TS-237AP-1 above, along with one of the two dual-voltage power strips I mentioned will do the job for me.

Lew
That looks like a very versatile one since it can be used in countries with other configurations besides the one for Europe. It is dual voltage and has a surge suppressor so you should be able to combine it with the monster power adapter. You shouldn't need a power strip with dual voltage.

I am just sticking with the simple no surge suppressor solution and the cheap US to Europe adapters. Call me reckless.
Central Florida
1,734 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Everyone traveling to Europe should have the Skype app on their iOS device. I have used Skype to place calls to the USA and to other EU countries while in Europe with no issues at all.

Skype and Wi-Fi Finder make a great combination.

I addition to your iPhone, you can use the Skype app to make calls using your iPad and iPod Touch.

Be sure to set up a Skype account and test the app before you leave for your trip.

Lew
I use Skype overseas. I also used Magic Jack in Italy last year. It was a free phone call to the US and was crystal clear. For that you have to have a USB port with a laptop or netbook. You plug the magicjack into the computer USB port and a phone into the magicjack. I bought a lightweight phone at Walmart that worked fine. It's possible to use the laptop sound system but the phone is really nice to use. I don't know if the new Ipad has a USB port. The old ones didn't.
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
That looks like a very versatile one since it can be used in countries with other configurations besides the one for Europe. It is dual voltage and has a surge suppressor so you should be able to combine it with the monster power adapter. You shouldn't need a power strip with dual voltage.

I am just sticking with the simple no surge suppressor solution and the cheap US to Europe adapters. Call me reckless.
You live dangerously...

Now, why are you saying the power strip doesn't need to be dual voltage? If it's rated on 120v, couldn't 240v have the potential to cause some problems. I wouldn't want to wake up in the morning to find all my electronics bricked. I hate that smell of electronics burning.

I really like the Monster ones, but they're not dual voltage.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

South Texas
2,364 Posts
Joined May 2007

<B>
</B>

Lew
Lew, I appreciate this info...I surely do, but when I went to the link you showed with this "all in one" device it said......for use with dual voltage devices. I have managed to fry my clock everytime I have used an adaptor in Europe. I am now super cautious. What I need is a device that will allow me to plug in my 110 only device in Europe. In fact, the only thing I want to connect is my Ipad charger. It says 110 only. What can I use with that?

Thanks
Doug
Central Florida
1,734 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
You live dangerously...

Now, why are you saying the power strip doesn't need to be dual voltage? If it's rated on 120v, couldn't 240v have the potential to cause some problems. I wouldn't want to wake up in the morning to find all my electronics bricked. I hate that smell of electronics burning.

I really like the Monster ones, but they're not dual voltage.

Lew
I am no electrician but from what I have read the only thing that matters when using a strip or extension cord is if the size of the wire can handle the draw of current. Most of the ordinary extension cords we use in the US are rated for 10-15 amps. 110 V x 10 amps is 1100 watts. I just looked at an extension cord I am using here in my office and it says do not exceed 1250watts. Most of the things we plug in are camera battery chargers, Iphone chargers etc and they have very draw very little amps. They are measured in milliamp. Most are less than 1 amp. So plugging 3 or 4 of these wont even overload the wire. Now if you plug in a hair dryer that's a different story. My wife uses a dual voltage hair dryer and we just plug it in via a cheapo adapter to the wall plug.
I don't want to make recommendations, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the Monster adapter.
Monster sells one of their units with a universal adapter for different countries and I looked up the manual that comes with it. Here is the page from the manual where they show how to use it with different Voltages.
http://www.monstercable.com/lit/LIT_..._AR1_PRINT.PDF
And this is the product
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6592#
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by spunks

Lew, I appreciate this info...I surely do, but when I went to the link you showed with this "all in one" device it said......for use with dual voltage devices. I have managed to fry my clock everytime I have used an adaptor in Europe. I am now super cautious. What I need is a device that will allow me to plug in my 110 only device in Europe. In fact, the only thing I want to connect is my Ipad charger. It says 110 only. What can I use with that?
Hi Doug,

For the clock you fried, you needed a converter to step down the voltage from the European 220v to the 110v required. I'd suggest either a battery operated travel or dual voltage clock...or opt for a power converter. I really feel the converter is overkill as the two options below don't require it.

The battery operated Casio Digital Traveler's Alarm Clock Snooze LED has worked well for me.
The Coby CRA54BLK Digital AM/FM Alarm/Clock Radio is 100/220v.
With respect to the iPad requiring 110v only, I just don't understand that. My wife has the original iPad and the printing on the side of the plug is as follows: Input 100-240V 0.45A 50-60 Hz. We've charged her iPad at hotels in Europe with no problem at all. You might want to recheck the specs. on your iPad.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005

Monster sells one of their units with a universal adapter for different countries and I looked up the manual that comes with it. Here is the page from the manual where they show how to use it with different Voltages.
http://www.monstercable.com/lit/LIT_..._AR1_PRINT.PDF
And this is the product
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6592#
Interesting... I can't see where they say in the product's description on the Monster site or Amazon that it will handle up to 250v, but the manual certainly says so. This one may be the way to go.

Between us we may have solved the adapter / surge protector / power strip issue...

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Central Florida
1,734 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Interesting... I can't see where they say in the product's description on the Monster site or Amazon that it will handle up to 250v, but the manual certainly says so. This one may be the way to go.

Between us we may have solved the adapter / surge protector / power strip issue...

Lew
There are many ways to handle the voltage problem and everyone has to do his own research and decide what they are comfortable with. I would hate to make a recommendation and get blamed if someone fries their equipment. But what you have come up with is a good way I think.
Burlington, VT
6,930 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Here's an email I received from Monster support in response to my inquiry...
Hello,

Our Outlets To Go products are designed for international travel, rated 100-240V.

Monsterously!!!
Customer Support
877-800-8989
Why they don't make that information readily available is a mystery. I would think they would want prospective purchasers to know the ratings of their travel power handling products.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature