Pre-cruise Oktoberfest

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:49 PM.
Phoenix, Arizona
763 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by KGCRUIZN
Booked our One Way Airfare last night for 10/2/2013 Departure Washington Dulles to Munich. Icelandair has great Wednesday Fares if they serve your Market. Guess It's Official!
Thanks for the tip. We are going to use SW airlines to go from Phoenix to Seattle(I fly free on companion pass)
and then use Icelandair to Munich with a reasonable Saturday fare! Much cheaper and less layover time then what we looked at before.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future cruises
Royal Princess B2B Med and TA Oct 2017

Crystal Symphony August 2018 LA to New York

Oceania Regatta around Australia Dec 2018
Pacific Princess TA 2018 B2B land of midnight sun and Baltics
Oceania Regatta around Australia Dec 2018
Royal Princess April 2019 Mexico,Wine Country Coastal B2B
Westminster, Maryland
700 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by kaliterri
Thanks for the tip. We are going to use SW airlines to go from Phoenix to Seattle(I fly free on companion pass)
and then use Icelandair to Munich with a reasonable Saturday fare! Much cheaper and less layover time then what we looked at before.
That sounds great Terri! I envy you having a few days earlier than the rest of us in Salzburg. We are booked for departure the following Wednesday Oct 2nd. Looks like a few of our little thread may have an impromptu "Meet &Greet" at our Icelandair connecting flight FI532 to Munich Oct 3rd at 7:20am!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelly and Glenn

Royal Princess Alaska 7 Day B2B May 11 2019
Royal Princess Wine Country Coastal 7 Day LA Vancouver May 4 2019
Regal Princess Caribbean Islander 10 Day Brookyn NY FLL November 1 2018

Regal Princess Caribbean Islander 10 Day Brooklyn New York FLL October 26 2017
Regal Princess Canadian Atlantic Provinces Getaway 5 Day NYC RT October 21 2017
Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean 7 Day December 6 2015
Regal Princess Northern Europe Passage 17 Day FLL Copenhagen April 15 2015
Regal Princess Eastern Caribbean Getaway 3 Day FLL RT April 12 2015
Royal Princess Maiden Passage Venice FLL 18 Day October 9 2013 Oktoberfest PreCruise
Grand Princess British Isles Passage 16 Day FLL London May 2011
Caribbean Princess Bermuda/Caribbean 7 Day SJUNYC May 2010
Grand Princess 3 Continents/Trans Atlantic 21 Day Nov 2009
Ruby Princess Western Caribbean 7 Day Mar 2009
Raising Kids
Royal Viking Star Bermuda Oct 1988
Dolphin CL Dolphin IV Nassau Mar 1987
Regency CL Regent Sea Panama Canal Feb 1986
Paquet Rhapsody Eastern Caribbean Jan 1985
Chandris Victoria Southern Caribbean Mar 1984
NCL Southward Bermuda Sep 1973
Burlington, VT
6,925 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hello Folks...

As I know many are considering a visit to Munich and Oktoberfest prior to the Royal TA, I thought I’d give you a mini-report of our experience this year.

We flew to Munich on US Airways: Burlington, VT → Philadelphia → Munich. I purchased our one-way flights about 23 weeks prior to our flight date through a consolidator with no problems or issues.

Upon arrival at MUC, we took the S-Bahn train to the Hauptbahnhof...Munich’s main train station. You can take either the S-1 or S-8 train to get to the train station as they each take about 35 minutes and run about every 10 minutes. We purchased an Airport-City-Partner Day Ticket for about €20,00 at a machine. One ticket works for up to five people and allows transportation into Munich as well as throughout the city for the remainder of the day. After collecting your luggage and going through immigration, just follow the green S signs to the S-Bahn.

We stayed at the Vi Vadi Hotel, Marsstraße 6...about a 10 minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof. It’s also about a 30 minute walk to the Marienplatz and Oktoberfest, although in different directions. We booked well ahead at a cost of €190,00 per night. Our room was larger than a typical European hotel room and quite modern.

We left our visit to Oktoberfest to Wednesday, October 3rd, which just happened to be German Reunification Day, with Munich the center of the celebration this year. If we had known, we would have gone Tuesday as it was quite crowded on the national holiday, but not unbearable at all.

We arrived at about noon, walked around the midway for awhile and then decided to attempt to find a couple of seats in the Lowenbrau tent. After ten minutes or so of searching, we located two and sat down. Not knowing what to expect, during the course of about nine hours we had a fantastic time. Nan and I are not beer drinkers...she never drinks beer and I may have one or two a year...but while we were there we shared seven or eight one-liter mugs (we each had about four liters).

During the time we were there, some people at our table left to be replaced quickly by newcomers. We enjoyed the company of people from England, Scotland, Australia, Germany, China, Ukrane, and more. There was a lot of singing and everyone was very friendly. It really was a fantastic experience!

We stayed in Munich three days, driving on to Innsbruck on Thursday. There is a Europcar office less than 100 meters from the hotel. We booked through Autoeurope and they in turn put us with Europcar.

While in Munich we also ate at the Hofbräuhaus, visited the Marienplatz, rode the Ho-Ho buses, did some shopping and a lot of walking. Munich is a beautiful, very friendly city. While there we had perfect weather which always helps.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask...

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
Westminster, Maryland
700 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by -Lew-
Hello Folks...

Upon arrival at MUC, we took the S-Bahn train to the Hauptbahnhof...Munich’s main train station. You can take either the S-1 or S-8 train to get to the train station as they each take about 35 minutes and run about every 10 minutes. ...........................

Lew
Sounds Great Lew! Glad you had a Blast. How crowded was the S-Bahn with Luggage from the Airport? How many pieces did you have and was there ample stowage area? I will be traveling with 3 ladies (Wife Kelly, Mother and Mother in Law) We plan on getting the 3 Day Munich City Card passes and use it for Dachau as well.
All The Best, Glenn
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelly and Glenn

Royal Princess Maiden Passage Venice FLL 18 Day October 9 2013 Oktoberfest PreCruise
Raising Kids
Burlington, VT
6,925 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Hi Glen,

The S-Bahn was not crowded at all when we got on at about 9:30am, but our car became almost full as we got closer to the Hauptbahnhof. We had four pieces of rolling luggage, two 28" and two carryons, and were able to fit all between two facing double seats. We then sat on the seats sideways with our feet in the aisle.

Taking the S-Bahn into Munich couldn't have been easier. Since you'll be boarding when the cars are basically empty, you'll be fine with your group and luggage.

Keep an eye on the lighted sign on the ceiling of the car that indicates the next stop.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

XXRoll Calls - 2018: Royal - Jan 19, 2018Royal - Jan 29, 2018Royal - Feb 8, 2018Regal - Sep 8, 2018
XXRoll Calls - 2019: Reflection - January 18, 2019 Reflection - January 28, 2019 Golden - Apr 16, 2019
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
3,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Thanks so much for the info, Lew! Adds to our excitement for next year!

We are booked into a hotel very close to Hofbrauhaus. In your judgement, would that distance be walkable from the main train station with our luggage? Like you, we will probably have to large and two small cases on wheels (the small ones connect to the large ones so it is only one "pull").
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Looking Forward To:
June 2018: Baltic Heritage - Sapphire Princess
June 2018: Norwegian Fjords & Summer Solstice - Sapphire Princess
Feb 2019: Antartica (Celebrity Eclipse)

Chris and Jackie's Happy Trails (so far):
2017 - Hawaii (Celebrity Solstice) & land vacation; 2016 - British Isles/Transatlantic (Caribbean Princess);2015 - Caribbean (Brilliance of the Seas); 2014 - Christmas Markets land trip (Paris, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna), 2014 - Panama Canal Full Transit (Island Princes) 2013 - Maiden TA Crossing (Royal Princess), 2013 - Caribbean (Ruby Princess); 2012 - Bermuda (HAL Veendam YUCK); 2012 - Hawaiian Islands (Sapphire Princess); 2011 - Canada/New England (Caribbean Princess); 2011 - Panama Canal Full Transit (Coral Princess); 2010 - Caribbean (Ruby Princess); 2010 - Transatlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen) (Star Princess); 2009 - Mexican Riviera (Sapphire Princess); 2009 - Coastal Vancouver to LA (Sapphire Princess); 2009 - Alaskan Sampler (Sapphire Princess); 2009 Caribbean (repositioning San Juan to NYC) (Caribbean Princess); 2008 - Mediterranean/Greek Isles (Grand Princess); 2007 - Caribbean (Crown Princess) 2007 - Southern Caribbean (Constellation) ; 2006 Grand Mediterranean (25th anniversary) (Grand Princess); 2005 - Eastern Caribbean (Caribbean Princess); 2004 First Mediterranean Cruise (Brilliance of the Seas) ; 2004 - Eastern Caribbean (Golden Princess); 2002 - Western Caribbean (Grand Princess); 1981 Honeymoon Caribbean cruise on the first Carnival cruise ship (Carnival)
Sacramento, CA
1,649 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by High C's
Thanks so much for the info, Lew! Adds to our excitement for next year!

We are booked into a hotel very close to Hofbrauhaus. In your judgement, would that distance be walkable from the main train station with our luggage? Like you, we will probably have to large and two small cases on wheels (the small ones connect to the large ones so it is only one "pull").

This sounds like great fun! I am going to see if I can talk Ken into this before the cruise....Claudia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
Sacramento, CA
1,649 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Kennykat
This sounds like great fun! I am going to see if I can talk Ken into this before the cruise....Claudia

Hi all, Ken and I are contemplating arriving in Munich on Thursday, October 3rd for a few days and then flying to Barcelona on Saturday afternoon for a few days and then flying to Venice a day early. We would probably stay at a starwood hotel. Is anyone else going to be in Munich at the same time? We would like to get together with others if we can. Thanks, claudia aka kennykat
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Burlington, VT
6,925 Posts
Joined Apr 2005

Hi Jackie...

I wouldn't attempt that walk with luggage from the Hauptbahnhof. I suggest you check your hotel's website for the closest S-Bahn stop or request routing instructions by email.

The Marienplatz S-Bahn station is much closer to the Hofbräuhaus and i'm thinking either the S-1 or S-8 may stop there also. Better confirm that to be sure.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

3,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hi Jackie...

I wouldn't attempt that walk with luggage from the Hauptbahnhof. I suggest you check your hotel's website for the closest S-Bahn stop or request routing instructions by email.

The Marienplatz S-Bahn station is much closer to the Hofbräuhaus and i'm thinking either the S-1 or S-8 may stop there also. Better confirm that to be sure.

Lew
Thanks Lew. I have to be honest and tell you I have not looked into it at all, so I don't have a clue what S-1 or S-8 is!! LOL But basically, if I understand you correctly, if we take the train from the airport into downtown Munich main station, it is too far to walk from there to our hotel.

Sounds like you had a great time. Glenn (KGCruizn) has reserved, or will be reserving, a table for a group of us next year. Basically, all we have to do is show up - he's taken care of the details! Doesn't get any better than that!

Glad you had such a good time!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Looking Forward To:

2017 - Hawaii (Celebrity Solstice) & land vacation; 2016 - British Isles/Transatlantic (Caribbean Princess);2015 - Caribbean (Brilliance of the Seas); 2014 - Christmas Markets land trip (Paris, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna), 2014 - Panama Canal Full Transit (Island Princes) 2013 - Maiden TA Crossing (Royal Princess), 2013 - Caribbean (Ruby Princess); 2012 - Bermuda (HAL Veendam YUCK); 2012 - Hawaiian Islands (Sapphire Princess); 2011 - Canada/New England (Caribbean Princess); 2011 - Panama Canal Full Transit (Coral Princess); 2010 - Caribbean (Ruby Princess); 2010 - Transatlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen) (Star Princess); 2009 - Mexican Riviera (Sapphire Princess); 2009 - Coastal Vancouver to LA (Sapphire Princess); 2009 - Alaskan Sampler (Sapphire Princess); 2009 Caribbean (repositioning San Juan to NYC) (Caribbean Princess); 2008 - Mediterranean/Greek Isles (Grand Princess); 2007 - Caribbean (Crown Princess) 2007 - Southern Caribbean (Constellation) ; 2006 Grand Mediterranean (25th anniversary) (Grand Princess); 2005 - Eastern Caribbean (Caribbean Princess); 2004 First Mediterranean Cruise (Brilliance of the Seas) ; 2004 - Eastern Caribbean (Golden Princess); 2002 - Western Caribbean (Grand Princess); 1981 Honeymoon Caribbean cruise on the first Carnival cruise ship (Carnival)
3,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hi all, Ken and I are contemplating arriving in Munich on Thursday, October 3rd for a few days and then flying to Barcelona on Saturday afternoon for a few days and then flying to Venice a day early. We would probably stay at a starwood hotel. Is anyone else going to be in Munich at the same time? We would like to get together with others if we can. Thanks, claudia aka kennykat
Claudia - NOOOO!!!! Go to Barcelona first and then come to Munich! There is a group that will be getting together for the last weekend of Oktoberfest. Glenn - KGCruizn - is arranging a table - plus a few tours that he has kindly included Chris and I in. We just have to show up and enjoy! It would be great if you joined us to Oktoberfest together! Ein Prosit!!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Looking Forward To:

Sacramento, CA
1,649 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Claudia - NOOOO!!!! Go to Barcelona first and then come to Munich! There is a group that will be getting together for the last weekend of Oktoberfest. Glenn - KGCruizn - is arranging a table - plus a few tours that he has kindly included Chris and I in. We just have to show up and enjoy! It would be great if you joined us to Oktoberfest together! Ein Prosit!!!!

Jackie, that sounds wonderful. Will make sure Ken sees this post as that would be great to get together with all of you! I really want to do this and now have to talk Ken into it! Thanks!!!! Fingers are crossed!!!! Claudia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Burlington, VT
6,925 Posts
Joined Apr 2005

I have to be honest and tell you I have not looked into it at all, so I don't have a clue what S-1 or S-8 is!! LOL But basically, if I understand you correctly, if we take the train from the airport into downtown Munich main station, it is too far to walk from there to our hotel.
LOL... A year before we visited Munich I had never heard of S-1 or S-8, so you're ahead of me at this point.

S-1 and S-8 are the two trains that will get you from the Munich airport to central Munich. I did a bit of research for you and learned that you need to take the S-8 train and get off at the Marienplatz stop. According to Google Maps, it's a 400 meter walk from there to Hofbräuhaus, which you mentioned is near your hotel. Click here for walking directions.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sacramento, CA
1,649 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
LOL... A year before we visited Munich I had never heard of S-1 or S-8, so you're ahead of me at this point.

S-1 and S-8 are the two trains that will get you from the Munich airport to central Munich. I did a bit of research for you and learned that you need to take the S-8 train and get off at the Marienplatz stop. According to Google Maps, it's a 400 meter walk from there to Hofbräuhaus, which you mentioned is near your hotel. Click here for walking directions.

Lew

We are still trying to make this work. We are looking at Le Meridian Munich hotel or the Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central hotel. Any suggestions which would be a better hotel to stay in, closer to the events, etc.? Thanks, Claudia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Burlington, VT
6,925 Posts
Joined Apr 2005

We are looking at Le Meridian Munich hotel or the Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central hotel. Any suggestions which would be a better hotel to stay in, closer to the events, etc.?
Hi Claudia...

Click here to see the location of Le Meridian and here for Four Points by Sheraton. Le Meridian is very close to the Hauptbahnhof (train station), about half-way between Oktoberfest and Marienplatz. The Four Points is very close to Oktoberfest, just north by 100-200 meters, but not centrally located to other sites you might want to visit. Of the two, I'd go with Le Meridian.

Lew
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sacramento, CA
1,649 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Hi Claudia...

Click here to see the location of Le Meridian and here for Four Points by Sheraton. Le Meridian is very close to the Hauptbahnhof (train station), about half-way between Oktoberfest and Marienplatz. The Four Points is very close to Oktoberfest, just north by 100-200 meters, but not centrally located to other sites you might want to visit. Of the two, I'd go with Le Meridian.

Lew

Lew, thanks! This is really helpful! Claudia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ohio
797 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Hi, we're looking at being in Munich from Oct. 3 to 6. If you haven't made reservations yet, it may be time to commit. A lot of the hotels are filling up already and the rates are getting pricey.

Our initial plan was to arrive on Sept. 29th, drive to Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, Fussen, then back to Munich on the 3rd. We'll catch the night train on Sunday to Venice for a couple of pre-cruise days. We may have to reverse the order just to have a hotel near the Oktoberfest grounds at a reasonable rate.

The search continues...

Joel
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11/2014 Allure of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean
05/2014 Grand Princess, Pacific Coastal
05/2014 Star Princess, Pacific Coastal
01/2014 Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean
10/2013 Royal Princess, Maiden Transatlantic
02/2012 Golden Princess, Round Trip Hawaii
All 2011 Whole House Remodel
08/2010 Crown Princess, British Isles
05/2009 Sapphire Princess, Pacific Coastal
10/2008 Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas
09/2007 Crown Princess, Canada-New England
03/2007 Coral Princess, Panama Canal
10/2006 Diamond Princess, Mexican Riviera
04/2006 Golden Princess, San Juan to NYC
09/2005 Star Princess, Baltics
10/2004 NCL Dawn, NY-Bahamas-NY
3,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2005

Lew
Thank you, Lew!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Looking Forward To:

3,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Jackie, that sounds wonderful. Will make sure Ken sees this post as that would be great to get together with all of you! I really want to do this and now have to talk Ken into it! Thanks!!!! Fingers are crossed!!!! Claudia
I hope it works out! It would be great fun indeed! Glenn has been so wonderful in making arrangements in Munich. I'm sure he'll be a wealth of information for you if you decide to do this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Looking Forward To:

Westminster, Maryland
700 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Hi Glen,

The S-Bahn was not crowded at all when we got on at about 9:30am, but our car became almost full as we got closer to the Hauptbahnhof. We had four pieces of rolling luggage, two 28" and two carryons, and were able to fit all between two facing double seats. We then sat on the seats sideways with our feet in the aisle.

Taking the S-Bahn into Munich couldn't have been easier. Since you'll be boarding when the cars are basically empty, you'll be fine with your group and luggage.

Keep an eye on the lighted sign on the ceiling of the car that indicates the next stop.

Lew
Thanks Lew for train info. That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm pretty familiar with trains but always had a car from Airport and wondered about crowding.
Jackie- If we arrive on same Icelandair Flight, we will also take the S-8 and transfer to U-bahn at Marienplatz so we can ride together!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelly and Glenn

Raising Kids